Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing weight daily

Default Losing weight daily

How much weight should they gain daily?
    What is the ideal temperature the heating pad should be set at ?
    I have what I believe is a four week old eyes closed teeth on the bottom 61 g
    What is 75 g on Wednesday
    Really frustrated as I just spent over an hour typing a post and then when I clicked submit it asked me to sign in again and my post is gone ! Please forgive me for being aggravated 🥺 it also took me over an hour to figure out how to post 😢 I will add pictures and another detailed description if this actually posts
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Losing weight daily

Did you hydrate before attempting feeding?

What are you feeding?

Heating pad without shutoff on low but under 1/2 container only

We did hydrate with Pedialyte and honey water 1 tablespoon of honey in one cup of water I think he took around 3 mL of the honey water and probably 8 mL of Pedialyte over the course of about eight hours
    We did not learn until two days later that the Pedialyte probably should have been half-and-half we have made a lot of mistakes with this little one but here we are six days later

I purchased a can of Esbilac from Petco and started him on that then we came across the forums stating Esbilac may have issues so I purchased the Fox Valley those containers which arrived yesterday coincidentally last night I came across forums stating Fox Valley was not safe it was like cement for under four weeks old I have both formulas
    Today we started mixing three parts Esbilac to one part fox in an attempt to switch him over to Fox Valley I was a little concerned that when I went to stir both formulas the Fox Valley was significantly thicker almost like baby cereal and we mixed it according to the directions one part powder to three parts water I believe ? Is it normal for it to stick in this much ?

What are you feeding?

I would start by doing hydration in between feedings again based off that picture

Over previous 6 days did baby eat then stop? How much are you feeding? And how often

Should be getting in 5-7% of body weight per feeding on schedule every 2-3 hours with hydration feedings 1/2 between each considering condition in my opinion

How’s breathing? If ap they lose appetite

Quote Originally Posted by eternallight24 View Post
    I purchased a can of Esbilac from Petco and started him on that then we came across the forums stating Esbilac may have issues so I purchased the Fox Valley those containers which arrived yesterday coincidentally last night I came across forums stating Fox Valley was not safe it was like cement for under four weeks old I have both formulas
    Today we started mixing three parts Esbilac to one part fox in an attempt to switch him over to Fox Valley I was a little concerned that when I went to stir both formulas the Fox Valley was significantly thicker almost like baby cereal and we mixed it according to the directions one part powder to three parts water I believe ? Is it normal for it to stick in this much ?
    Fv 2050 is one part powder to 2 parts water so an example would be 1/2 tbls of formula mixed in 1 tbls water… is it possible you’re overheating water before adding formula? If too hot when mixing it can degrade nutrients … however if too cool when served baby won’t really want to eat it (our girl likes formula like 110-112)

I’d say you should start seeing huge improvement by weaning over to fv because we had failure to thrive for initial days on esbalic too… but my girl also had ap and it was probably the antibiotics that actually created most improvement

Do you hear clicking when baby is sleeping?

When mixing you’re taking and making one batch of each formula according to package instructions and then doing your 3/1 ratio from the already mixed and set up formulas, right? (Not adding both powders to water and stirring?)

How does appetize seem? Baby is eager for bottles?

I purchased a 3.5 pound bucket of the the 32/40 and the 20/50
    The first batch mixed was the 32/40 because that was for under four weeks and eyes are not open yet
    I purchased both buckets because I am assuming he is around four weeks ?
    Esbilac was mixed in a coffee cup
    Fox Valley was mixed in a coffee cup
    ( both kept separately ) and then they were mixed - 3 tablespoons of Esbilac and 1 tablespoon of Fox Valley that’s why I noticed when I stirred and went to combine them that the Fox Valley was extremely thick much thicker than the Esbilac

I purchased a 3.5 pound bucket of the the 32/40 and the 20/50
    The first batch mixed was the 32/40 because that was for under four weeks and eyes are not open yet
    I purchased both buckets because I am assuming he is around four weeks ?
    Esbilac was mixed in a coffee cup
    Fox Valley was mixed in a coffee cup
    ( both kept separately ) and then they were mixed - 3 tablespoons of Esbilac and 1 tablespoon of Fox Valley that’s why I noticed when I stirred and went to combine them that the Fox Valley was extremely thick much thicker than the Esbilac
    Four weeks and over 2050 is recommended

I’ve never used baby cereal so I’m not actually sure of the consistency but I’m sure the more experienced rehabbers will be waking up and chiming In before long to address that

I don’t recall the difference being something I particularly noticed when I transitioned our girl over

What about appetite? Baby is eating 3-4.25 mL per feeding every 2-3 hours? Are you still doing night feeding? Is stomach hard and baby having diarrhea? If being overfed baby can bloat and actually lose instead of gain…

Quote Originally Posted by mojoandvoodoo View Post
    Fv 2050 is one part powder to 2 parts water so an example would be 1/2 tbls of formula mixed in 1 tbls water… is it possible you’re overheating water before adding formula? If too hot when mixing it can degrade nutrients … however if too cool when served baby won’t really want to eat it (our girl likes formula like 110-112)

I’d say you should start seeing huge improvement by weaning over to fv because we had failure to thrive for initial days on esbalic too… but my girl also had ap and it was probably the antibiotics that actually created most improvement

Do you hear clicking when baby is sleeping?
    (Edit: Removed (incorrect) dosing information... )
    Last edited by Spanky; 09-26-2021 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Remove drug dosing from open board

Ap can cause appetite loss

So are you still giving antibiotics twice a day (it’s usually suggested for a week)

How many days has baby been losing weight for already? Did he lose on Thursday, Friday & Saturday then? How’s the appetite? If he’s just started feeling better today and only lost for one day it was probably effect of the infection & will improve starting today with proper hydration and feeding schedule as long as baby doesn’t have diarrhea

Diarrhea could be from bloat, parasite, or delayed effects of injury from fall if it’s been less than a week

Four weeks and over 2050 is recommended

I’ve never used baby cereal so I’m not actually sure of the consistency but I’m sure the more experienced rehabbers will be waking up and chiming In before long to address that

I don’t recall the difference being something I particularly noticed when I transitioned our girl over

What about appetite? Baby is eating 3-4.25 mL per feeding every 2-3 hours? Are you still doing night feeding? Is stomach hard and baby having diarrhea? If being overfed baby can bloat and actually lose instead of gain…
    I would not say he was “ eager “ to take anything other than the honey water he literally tried to eat the syringe
    That was mixed 1 tablespoon of honey to one cup of water
    Yes he is on a schedule even at night we are getting up every 3 hours at night with him
    Stomach is soft - we are stimulating before - during and after feedings or hydration
    The only one or two instances of diarrhea was after the antibiotic - today has been more promising for the first time He actually took a full 3 cc willingly !
    Usually it’s like we put the miracle nipple up to his mouth a drop comes out and goes on his chest he wasn’t really attempting to eat or swallow - hydration feedings water and formula feedings both heated in warm water for about 15 minutes only heating One syringe at a time so I’m not sure the temperature ? But warm not hot or cool

I would not say he was “ eager “ to take anything other than the honey water he literally tried to eat the syringe
    That was mixed 1 tablespoon of honey to one cup of water
    Yes he is on a schedule even at night we are getting up every 3 hours at night with him
    Stomach is soft - we are stimulating before - during and after feedings or hydration
    The only one or two instances of diarrhea was after the antibiotic - today has been more promising for the first time He actually took a full 3 cc willingly !
    Usually it’s like we put the miracle nipple up to his mouth a drop comes out and goes on his chest he wasn’t really attempting to eat or swallow - hydration feedings water and formula feedings both heated in warm water for about 15 minutes only heating One syringe at a time so I’m not sure the temperature ? But warm not hot or cool
    Greek yogurt with probiotics helps with antibiotic diarrhea but im going to let someone else chime in on quantity for your situation because im not a vet but I used about 1/3-1/4 ratio for our girl when using augmenten and it helped her

I believe another option is sweet potato or pumpkin baby food

Likely it sounds like baby got behind from ap appetite loss & illness and should start gaining again today unless there’s another issue like a delayed internal bleed (which I can’t see if appetite is returning instead of getting worse)

I would keep trying to get closer to the 4.25 ml per feeding (7%) from the 3 but it’s definitely baby steps with small mammals…

If he’s not eager to eat something is likely wrong… I’d continue the antibiotics for the rest of the 7 days

My baby definitely likes formula that feels HOT to my skin so personally I’d start by gradually increasing formula temperature if you think you’d call it warm

If eager for water I would literally keep giving it to my girl until she had enough… I ended up going back to a 24 hour hydration session (like when I started) to flush my girl out because the esbalic wasn’t helping her out (and I believed was actually hurting her)… I went straight to goat milk after pedialyte day until my fox valley came in then transitioned between gmf to fv slowly

Ap can cause appetite loss

So are you still giving antibiotics twice a day (it’s usually suggested for a week)

How many days has baby been losing weight for already? Did he lose on Thursday, Friday & Saturday then? How’s the appetite? If he’s just started feeling better today and only lost for one day it was probably effect of the infection & will improve starting today with proper hydration and feeding schedule as long as baby doesn’t have diarrhea

Diarrhea could be from bloat, parasite, or delayed effects of injury from fall if it’s been less than a week
    So this little one was found on Monday, September 20, 2021 around 8 AM
    My son works in landscaping and found him in the yard he was working in he did look for signs of mom no signs he works in this yard all day every day has not seen her or any signs of her or siblings all week around noon I went to pick the baby up he was ice cold I stuck him in my bra and started googling went to Petsmart to get the Esbilac
    I did not weigh him for the first time until Wednesday The 22nd and he was 75 g
    He was 71 g Wednesday night
    69 g Thursday morning at 8:30 AM
    65 g Friday morning at 8:05 AM
    61 g Saturday morning at 8 AM
    We are still offering hydration feedings in between formula feedings but he’s pretty much refusing them I think today for the first time he decided he would rather have the milk
    It could be the mixture of the Fox Valley and the Esbilac what is the reason for the sudden willingness to feed ??? Because temperature or nothing else has changed yes we are still offering the antibiotics twice daily confused between the 0.03 and the .03 ? Do not want to overdose him so I did not offer them today The clicking has gone away though

So this little one was found on Monday, September 20, 2021 around 8 AM
    My son works in landscaping and found him in the yard he was working in he did look for signs of mom no signs he works in this yard all day every day has not seen her or any signs of her or siblings all week around noon I went to pick the baby up he was ice cold I stuck him in my bra and started googling went to Petsmart to get the Esbilac
    I did not weigh him for the first time until Wednesday The 22nd and he was 75 g
    He was 71 g Wednesday night
    69 g Thursday morning at 8:30 AM
    65 g Friday morning at 8:05 AM
    61 g Saturday morning at 8 AM
    We are still offering hydration feedings in between formula feedings but he’s pretty much refusing them I think today for the first time he decided he would rather have the milk
    It could be the mixture of the Fox Valley and the Esbilac what is the reason for the sudden willingness to feed ??? Because temperature or nothing else has changed yes we are still offering the antibiotics twice daily confused between the 0.03 and the .03 ? Do not want to overdose him so I did not offer them today The clicking has gone away though
    Using a one mL oring syringe filled 1/3 for proper dose- can get easily at any pharmacy just by asking and explaining situation if you only have larger ones

So it’s .3 of 1 mL (or 3 ticks up and 2 ticks below 0.5 if have 3 mL with dashes on 10s spot)

I honestly believe esbalic was killing my girl so the eagerness to eat is VERY likely related to the percentage of fv imo

Every feeding or two increase quantity as long as diarrhea hasn’t presented

I’m honestly going to be surprised if baby doesn’t start gaining

Side note: gradually had to go warmer & warmer with formula over first 7-10 days we had her until she settled at 110-112 in direct correlation to as she felt better… when she was incredibly ill she was easily taking it around 100 and 101° But as she improved she would seem less enthusiastic at certain feedings (maybe every 3-5?) and each time I tried 2-3 degrees hotter next feeding she was right back to attacking the nipple…

Also I would quit hydration feedings in between temporarily to see the baby takes more formula as long as passing “hydration test”

Using a one mL oring syringe filled 1/3 for proper dose- can get easily at any pharmacy just by asking and explaining situation if you only have larger ones

So it’s .3 of 1 mL (or 3 ticks up and 2 ticks below 0.5 if have 3 mL with dashes on 10s spot)

I honestly believe esbalic was killing my girl so the eagerness to eat is VERY likely related to the percentage of fv imo

Every feeding or two increase quantity as long as diarrhea hasn’t presented

I’m honestly going to be surprised if baby doesn’t start gaining

Side note: gradually had to go warmer & warmer with formula over first 7-10 days we had her until she settled at 110-112 in direct correlation to as she felt better… when she was incredibly ill she was easily taking it around 100 and 101° But as she improved she would seem less enthusiastic at certain feedings (maybe every 3-5?) and each time I tried 2-3 degrees hotter next feeding she was right back to attacking the nipple…

Also I would quit hydration feedings in between temporarily to see the baby takes more formula as long as passing “hydration test”

Whoa!! There is a big difference between .3 on a syringe and .03. Did an admin provide antibiotic dosing for this baby? Or someone else? I think you need to have an admin verify your breakdown and dosing of the augmentin. Dosing should be done with nothing larger than a 1cc syringe. A 1/2cc syringe is preferable.

Stop feeding any of the FV 32/40. It’s been known to cause problems passing through the stomach. The baby is old enough to be on 20/50. Continue transitioning from GMF to the 20/50. Because your little one is still unstable I’d keep her formula simple. It’s not necessary to add any yogurt. Fox Valley tastes good and is usually well liked and that might be enough to encourage her to eat.

Does she have loose stool from the antibiotic? Any hydration should be given between feedings and not in place of a feeding. She needs the nutrients.

Please send a new picture. Also reweigh her for accurate antibiotic dosing.

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

redwuff (09-26-2021), stepnstone (09-26-2021)

This may help with the syringe reading:
    Name:  SyringeGradients.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  79.0 KB

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

redwuff (09-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Did an admin provide antibiotic dosing for this baby? Or someone else? I think you need to have an admin verify your breakdown and dosing of the augmentin.
    That dosing does not follow the standard TSB guidelines / protocol. If someone on TSB did the dosing, please PM me... I just want to consult with them about how they arrived at the dosing. The instructions do not match up with what our general instructions are (we try to be consistent so everyone is using the same dilutions and dosing parameters though it will vary at times).

Having said that... all baby squirrels will "click" at times, especially after feedings. This is a "mouth click" which is very similar to the "lung click" caused by AP. It is extremely difficult to discern between the two without experience. Big clues to an AP click are that it occurs with every breath and they will click while sleeping.

This babies looks to me like it needs some extra hydration. Use plain water or water with a same amount of honey. If he still refuses that, try putting some of the honey on the tip of the nipple, that often will make them more interested.

Here is a feeding chart to help with determining how much to feed each feeding:

Name:  FormulaFeedingChart.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  63.7 KB
    Last edited by Spanky; 09-26-2021 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Whoa!! There is a big difference between .3 on a syringe and .03. Did an admin provide antibiotic dosing for this baby? Or someone else? I think you need to have an admin verify your breakdown and dosing of the augmentin. Dosing should be done with nothing larger than a 1cc syringe. A 1/2cc syringe is preferable.

Stop feeding any of the FV 32/40. It’s been known to cause problems passing through the stomach. The baby is old enough to be on 20/50. Continue transitioning from GMF to the 20/50. Because your little one is still unstable I’d keep her formula simple. It’s not necessary to add any yogurt. Fox Valley tastes good and is usually well liked and that might be enough to encourage her to eat.

Does she have loose stool from the antibiotic? Any hydration should be given between feedings and not in place of a feeding. She needs the nutrients.

Please send a new picture. Also reweigh her for accurate antibiotic dosing.
    Not poster

Just giving instructions on reading syringe

They haven’t used gmf and are transitioning between can esbalic and fv right now apparently (starting yesterday it seems like?)

Didn’t see any statement of where dosing came from so unsure if from this forum or elsewhere

They haven’t used gmf and are transitioning between can esbalic and fv right now apparently (starting yesterday it seems like?)
    I did not read the OP post as can Esbilac, as in the cans of liquid Esbilac (versus the powder).... But should this be the case, and maybe the liquid was being further diluted, that might explain the weight loss. That and the fact that the liquid, canned Esbilac is very different than the powdered version (I know, weird) and the liquid is nutritional deficient for squirrels and they will fail to thrive.

Also formula hygiene: Ideally the powdered formula will be mixed up hours ahead of being feed. This allows the formula to more fully dissolve making it easy for these little ones to digest. I prefer to use a "shaker bottle", others will only whisk. I mix it up thoroughly, let it sit on the countertop about 20 minutes all the while mixing it up every few minutes... at least 3 separate times, before placing int eh fridge overnight. Formula that is heated for feeding but not used should be tossed out; never reuse previously warmed formula.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast