Thread: Seeing signs of Aspiration, What antibiotic should I use?

Default Seeing signs of Aspiration, What antibiotic should I use?

A 6-7 week old baby I found Sunday is showing signs of having aspirated. I heard him sneeze last night and several times today as well as refusing his midday feeding. I’m afraid ‘clickin’ is not far behind. This is not my first squirrel and I was full aware of proper feeding position and holding, and controlling the syringe (he is a vigorous eater). Unfortunately he bites through and destroys every nipple causing poor formula control. I have even removed the nipple and used the hard end as well as trying to keep it to the side of his mouth.
    What is the best course of treatment for this? My Wild Mammal Babies book suggest Clavamox or Amoxicillin, is one preferred over the other? Or something else? This little guy is up to 197 grams from 160 grams when I found him.
    Since refusing his last feeding I’m a little concerned about him getting dehydrated if it continues. I tried a shallow dish earlier to see if he could use it and that was a complete failure. He wanted the formula but had no idea how to lap it without getting it up his nose. He is plowing through monkey chow. I have also given him orange slices and grapes in the interest of keeping him hydrated. (I know grapes aren’t the calciumhosphorus ideal but that’s what I had on hand.)
    Appreciate any help how to proceed before this worsens. Any other feeding tips?

Default Re: Seeing signs of Aspiration, What antibiotic should I use?

My first choice for AP is Baytril, it works fast.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlsMom View Post
    A 6-7 week old baby I found Sunday is showing signs of having aspirated. I heard him sneeze last night and several times today as well as refusing his midday feeding. I’m afraid ‘clickin’ is not far behind. This is not my first squirrel and I was full aware of proper feeding position and holding, and controlling the syringe (he is a vigorous eater). Unfortunately he bites through and destroys every nipple causing poor formula control. I have even removed the nipple and used the hard end as well as trying to keep it to the side of his mouth.
    What is the best course of treatment for this? My Wild Mammal Babies book suggest Clavamox or Amoxicillin, is one preferred over the other? Or something else? This little guy is up to 197 grams from 160 grams when I found him.
    Since refusing his last feeding I’m a little concerned about him getting dehydrated if it continues. I tried a shallow dish earlier to see if he could use it and that was a complete failure. He wanted the formula but had no idea how to lap it without getting it up his nose. He is plowing through monkey chow. I have also given him orange slices and grapes in the interest of keeping him hydrated. (I know grapes aren’t the calciumhosphorus ideal but that’s what I had on hand.)
    Appreciate any help how to proceed before this worsens. Any other feeding tips?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

HRT4SQRLS (09-23-2021)

It’s not a given that he will get aspiration pneumonia from snorting a little formula. Those vigorous, nipple eating babies are quite a challenge.

The best antibiotics for AP are Ciprofloxacin, Baytril, SMZ/TMP, Doxycyline and Clavamox.
    Amoxicillin isn’t good at all.

I’m trying right to locate some Baytril (Cipro) now. What Is the highest strength that can be compounded down to dose with? what’s ideal?
    Really doxy would work? I have both 100 and 200 mg of doxy on hand! If I can’t fin Baytril can you help me use the doxy?
    And thank you so much for being so much help!

Edit: Ugh, looks like Amoxicillin 125mg may be my only choice other than doxy.

What is the expiration date of the Doxy? It is one of very few drugs that NEED to be used within the exp date.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    What is the expiration date of the Doxy? It is one of very few drugs that NEED to be used within the exp date.
    Oh no, 100mg 7.27.2021
    the 200mg I don’t have in the original container so have no idea, but likely to also be expired.

I have a neighbor that will check her pet meds (as soon as she gets home).

Quote Originally Posted by EarlsMom View Post
    Oh no, 100mg 7.27.2021
    the 200mg I don’t have in the original container so have no idea, but likely to also be expired.

I have a neighbor that will check her pet meds (as soon as she gets home).

Unlike many medications, Doxy changes after expiration and can be toxic and even become deadly.
    Human meds can be reconstituted and used if they are the right ones. Cipro is a med widely used
    for urinary tract infections and a lot of woman with recurring issues may keep some on hand.
    Last edited by stepnstone; 09-23-2021 at 10:10 PM. Reason: I stand corrected - Right church, wrong pew.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

I got a bottle of Amoxicillin oral suspension 125mg/5ml strength. It was the lowest strength the pharmacy had. My vet sister-in-law dosed it at .02 for my 200g squirrel. She doesn't know squirrels so I want to double check with you folks on the correct dosing for my little guy.

This was mixed up by the pharmacist about 6pm so it’s fresh. Can /should this solution be further diluted and use a different dosing?

Give me a minute to calculate it.

Dosing sent.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

EarlsMom (09-25-2021)