Thread: Early Release

Default Early Release

So my Rupert went out for his daily exercise today in the tree in the backyard. I noticed a nest, but did not think much of it. After about 30 minutes, I realized that there were 2 younger squirrels there. Rupert is about 8-9 weeks old, and rather "healthy" from being bottle-fed and his squares. These 2 are probably closer to 6 weeks and wild. They took to him instantly. It took him a while to warm up, but now they are playing.

He will not come back to me now and the Mama of the nest has not come home. Is she going to kick him to the curb or is there a chance she may take him in? I have been trying to get him to come back to me, but he won't now. He has never done that and this may be the best scenario...or the worst.

What do I do?

Default Re: Early Release

Sorry to have to relate that he is too young to be out on his own.

If you can coax him back to you with food, do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Sorry to have to relate that he is too young to be out on his own.

If you can coax him back to you with food, do so.

Was the mother of the other two squirrels around? I would be very concerned about how she will react.

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

KCullen (10-13-2021), Mel1959 (09-22-2021), stepnstone (09-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

Was the mother of the other two squirrels around? I would be very concerned about how she will react.
    I am very concerned about the mother. I did not see her, but I have been out here for hours. He went in to the nest and I never saw him come back out. It is very dark and past his bedtime now. Thankfully I know that he is semi-safe from predators and isolated to that area, because of the location of the tree, but I am still so upset.

He has been outside in that tree getting air/sun/exercise numerous times now and he has never strayed away.

Quote Originally Posted by lonipaige View Post
    He has been outside in that tree getting air/sun/exercise numerous times now and he has never strayed away.
    Squirrels under human care should never, ever be outddors (unless in a cage). This prevents "unintentional hard releases" as you are experiencing. It is all too easy for them to run up a tree where we humans could never follow. This happens all too often. I am only posting this so anyone reading the thread now or in the future will understand this is a very bad idea.

Once it is dark he is very unlikely to move from his location. I would recommend being out doors about 30 minutes before sunrise and calling for him... I will be praying he is safe and returns.

7. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Grinderhead (09-22-2021), KCullen (10-13-2021), Mel1959 (09-23-2021), stepnstone (09-23-2021)

I left his bed outside and he returned safely. I have been trying to exercise him in an environment where he can run, jump, play, and get some sunlight. Now he will just have to wait until it's time to be free.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lonipaige from:

stepnstone (09-23-2021)

I left his bed outside and he returned safely. I have been trying to exercise him in an environment where he can run, jump, play, and get some sunlight. Now he will just have to wait until it's time to be free.
    That is his best case scenario!
    Without a proper soft release where he can learn the sights, sounds, and the hierarchy of the local wilds
    he could have gotten beat up, run off or both. In pre- release he can safely be out there to observe the
    wilds and they him so when he is finally released he won't be an interloper in a territory he don't belong.
    You got lucky!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

This is super terrific... so glad he was okay and was smart enough to return home!

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    That is his best case scenario!
    Without a proper soft release where he can learn the sights, sounds, and the hierarchy of the local wilds
    he could have gotten beat up, run off or both. In pre- release he can safely be out there to observe the
    wilds and they him so when he is finally released he won't be an interloper in a territory he don't belong.
    You got lucky!
    So help me out, where would I get information on the right soft release? I feel like I have asked numerous times but this board is FULL of posts and sorting it out is simply overwhelming. I have come across a lot of bad information elsewhere on the internet, but the responses I get here are lot of feedback on what I am doing, which has been good and bad. I need help before I make these mistakes though. Everyone was new to this at one point.
    I truly care about Rupert and want the best for him.