Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10 days of diarrhea

Default Re: 10 days of diarrhea

I have always mixed FV 20/50 with FV Ultraboost at a ratio of 50/50. I also add a small spoon of Liberte’ full fat vanilla yogurt. This is what I began using when I had my first dwarf baby. He needed the extra calories from the Ultraboost. I know other rehabbers that add Ultraboost at a 25% to 75% Fox Valley formula ratio and their babies do fine.

Still sample was clean. Sigh. Still with the diarrhea. Dia-STAT should be here tomorrow. Treated for coccidia just in case on Saturday night.

I gave her a break from the pepto but I'm going to end up giving it to her again. How safe it is @3 doses/daily?

Still worried that it's associated with the abscess she broke open. Her fur is sticky but mostly on the leg. She has been pulling out the fur around the wound.

Still no detectable swelling or redness but although she doesn't favor it, the leg is thinner than the other.

Name:  IMG_20210927_145858_589~3.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  130.3 KBName:  IMG_20210927_145858_589~2.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  60.6 KBName:  IMG_20210927_145853_964.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  50.0 KB

If the area is “sticky” it indicates there is still drainage occurring. Since this has been there since a pinkie, IMO this needs to be treated to resolve it completely. I know it sounds counterproductive to give a squirrel with diarrhea antibiotics but I do feel this is needed. It can’t be good for her overall health to have this infection for so long. I can’t say the infection is in any way related to the diarrhea but I would still treat especially since the size of the leg is decreased. What antibiotic do you have access to?

I recently had an infection, myself, and for someone who rarely takes an antibiotic, I currently have a private pharmacy lol

Omnicef (cefdinir) 300mg capsule
    Keflex (cephalexin) 850mg capsule
    Amoxicillin/Clav (I'll have to look at mg but it's a tablet)
    Bactrim (Sulfamethoxazole/trimethophrim) 480mg tablet

I might be able to get something from the vet but I hesitate to bring Lolly in because she's got the autumnal cray-cray going on and I worry she would escape. She would probably want to see her before dispensing antibiotics but it's not impossible. She did see her at 3 weeks and knows about the abscess (or cyst or whatever) and advised to leave it alone, then, because she had already had baytril the week before.

I have some baytril left but I'm not sure it's still good because I stored it on the porch in 90 degree weather. I can get more.

The "sticky" is in the fur. It could be from her licking it and tearing hair out. I assumed the difference in leg size was because she wasn't able to bend it properly until she bit it open, but I don't think it has gained mass since she broke it open and became active.

I'm not above giving her an antibiotic as a "just in case". I have the diastat arriving tomorrow (hopefully).I would hate to see her come this far just to be done in by diarrhea or the stupid abscess she lived with for so long without symptoms ��

Can you shave or cut the hair around the abscess so you can see exactly what is going on there?

HRT is the antibiotic expert on the board. I know my vet has previously prescribed Baytril and metronidazole to help gut issues. I have never had diarrhea from giving Baytril to babies.

Have you thought about giving Imodium to help stop the diarrhea?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Also, her appetite has improved since I started mixing the Esbilac with GMF. I don't know for sure but I think I rushed the switch and that's why the diarrhea came back (or maybe the brand of vanilla yogurt I got is too high in sugar-- I never heard of Brown Cow brand and only picked it up for my hooman kid who is too skinny to eat low-fat). I started adding Esbilac again at 20% and her stools firmed up again (I'm glad I held off on the bismuth). They are tan instead of brown, but I'm going to assume that's the GMF. She has decided she loves it and I have to stop her from overfeeding on it. I think she has the urge for formula because she had lost so much weight. She's eating a whole Henry's at a time (2x daily). She shreds most of it but I do see her go back and pick up the crumbs. I stopped adding formula to the BRF gruel and just make it with water and she doesn't mind. I give her a few rice Chex today, instead, and romaine, mushroom and sugar snap peas. She eats the peas first. She might eat the mushroom. She won't eat the lettuce until it's fully wilted.

So, whether or not the diarrhea is completely over, I can't say. She still complains when I pick her up so I think her tummy still hurts, unless it's the leg. She always acts like I'm starving her. I'll be glad when everything is straightened out.

The Baytril would not be effective for an abscess. It’s vets favorite antibiotic but it’s not useful for wounds. You can hold off on treating until the diarrhea is under control but if she continues to lick it, it would seem it still bothers her. Try the DiaStat when it comes in. I would also offer her the Rice Chex. It’s such a simple thing that is received well.

You are set up with the correct antibiotics to treat a wound if you need to treat at some point. The Amox/Clav or the Bactrim (SMZ/TMP) could be used.

If after all you’ve done doesn’t work for the diarrhea the Metronidazole is indicated.

Edit… I see you gave her the Rice Chex.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

redwuff (09-27-2021)

While on formula the poop are light colored. It is mostly a yellowish golden color. When you start adding solid food it becomes brown. The Pepto you have been giving darkens the stool in some cases to black. I’m glad to hear her appetite is so good.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

ConfusedMuse (09-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Can you shave or cut the hair around the abscess so you can see exactly what is going on there?

HRT is the antibiotic expert on the board. I know my vet has previously prescribed Baytril and metronidazole to help gut issues. I have never had diarrhea from giving Baytril to babies.

Have you thought about giving Imodium to help stop the diarrhea?
    I've been giving thought to whether I could trim it. The way she wiggles and the fact that she complains (growl, squeak, clearly is upset) when I pick her up makes everything more difficult. I may have a trimmer that would work if the noise didn't scare her.

I've been trying to avoid diarrhea medicine if I can. I gave her bismuth for three days, which makes me nervous. I hadn't seen the Imodium, before. I will hit you up for dosage in case the cycle starts again tomorrow.

I woke her up to weigh her which made it a little more accurate since she was sleepy for at least a minute after I dragged her out of bed. It looks like she's 411 grams (although might be 407-- she woke up). I always used to weigh her in the morning after I made her go pee and before I feed her so I had a solid baseline but she won't let me do that now that she old enough to walk.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    The Baytril would not be effective for an abscess. It’s vets favorite antibiotic but it’s not useful for wounds. You can hold off on treating until the diarrhea is under control but if she continues to lick it, it would seem it still bothers her. Try the DiaStat when it comes in. I would also offer her the Rice Chex. It’s such a simple thing that is received well.

You are set up with the correct antibiotics to treat a wound if you need to treat at some point. The Amox/Clav or the Bactrim (SMZ/TMP) could be used.

If after all you’ve done doesn’t work for the diarrhea the Metronidazole is indicated.

Edit… I see you gave her the Rice Chex.
    I actually would like the dosage for amox. I'll go find out the mg and PM you.

[QUOTE=ConfusedMuse;1337858]I've been giving thought to whether I could trim it. The way she wiggles and the fact that she complains (growl, squeak, clearly is upset) when I pick her up makes everything more difficult. I may have a trimmer that would work if the noise didn't scare her.

Does she seem like her stomach hurts while she is in her cage by herself? That really concerns me that she seems to hurt when you handle her abdominal area. I would do the full treatment for coccidia. If the coccidia is not shedding, the oocysts will not show up in a fecal. It has intermittent shedding.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

ConfusedMuse (09-27-2021)

As long as Clavamox doesn't cause interaction, I do plan to do the 2nd dose of toltrazuril in a week.

She bites the bars of her cage A LOT and it seems like it's associated with her demanding food. She jumps and climbs. She gets the zoomies. She only reacts "violently" when picked up (she doesn't bite but she sounds like she wants to). I don't know--maybe it's seasonal and she's just irritated with being held when she wants to run around. I try not to put pressure on her tummy when I do. Sometimes I can't help it if she tries to get free because I'm afraid she'll fall.

She was a very sweet, cuddly girl before all of this but I do wonder if some of her current behaviors are normal for the season and not associated with whatever is ailing her.

I think this might be normal for her. Once squirrels get big enough to run around, some really don’t like to be restrained or held by a hand.
    They will wiggle and struggle to be free. And yes, they will bite if they get a chance.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

ConfusedMuse (09-28-2021)

Update: yesterday was 1 diarrhea to 4 regular. Today is 2 diarrhea to 3 regular. Unless it's the snow peas I still cannot figure it out for the life of me. I'm tired of the yo-yo. At least she's not dehydrated, but that's been touch and go. I'm almost happy she's at >50% since we've been battling this for two weeks.

FV 20/50 arrived today. I made it up immediately so I can start adding it tonight. Dia-STAT is late. I will recommend that anyone ordering FV not do so on Amazon even if you have prime: pay $10 for 2 day shipping on Henry's. Same price as prime and they give you priority making the label. I ordered Dia through Amazon and it was supposed to arrive yesterday and didn't. I ordered 20/50 from Henry's two days later and it's here. Amazon shop said October 4 on 20/50 with 2-day. Direct is more efficient.

I haven't given her an anti-diarrheal in three days. She's still yo-yoing but not watery 24/7 anymore. I think it's because I'm phasing out Esbilac but it might also be the coccidia treatment. At least it's 50% good news and she's STILL ALIVE and ACTIVE again and her appetite for solids (and formula) is improving! (Not to mention her mood lol.)

Thanks for all the help!

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ConfusedMuse:

HRT4SQRLS (09-29-2021), redwuff (09-29-2021)

She's so smart. I knew she knew "pacha" for formula (Guatemalan: fun word) but I've only been giving her Chex for three days and she knows "cruncha-munch" lol.

How much Chex per day is healthy? I give her about ten pieces per day, basically using it to keep her from getting grumpy between veggies and formula. Last night I put 3 pieces extra in her bowl with Mazuri after she went to sleep and I woke up to her in a better mood lol.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ConfusedMuse from:

redwuff (09-29-2021)

Yeah, my boy would have eaten his weight in them if only his awful mom would have given them to him (or let him into the kitchen cabinets)! 10 (or 12) won't hurt, especially with the runs she could have a couple more. Once the poops normalize, just make sure she has eaten her healthy blocks before she gets them because they are way tastier!

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

redwuff (09-29-2021)

Other than overnight 3 I give her blocks before lol

Here we go again...

I decided to wait 2 days to give an update because every time I think it's over, it starts again, and today was the day I was going to share my happy dance with y'all but...

This is new. Please tell me this is likely from another formula change. She shows no other signs that I can see, but somebody in this thread said that pale poo is calcium overload... She was all better for about 40 hours, good form and good color.

What should I look for if it's calcium problem?

Name:  IMG_20211001_175808_869.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  74.9 KB

Is it possible that now that she feels better she is over eating. How much formula is she taking? It looks like undigested formula. You’re not supplementing with calcium, right?

Im giving her 3 feedings per day @7% body weight (6 hour intervals). No calcium supplement, and I actually took out her cuttle bone when all this started, too.

We're in transition to FV-- from GMF, from Esbilac...

While waiting for FV I transitioned her from Esbilac to GMF but she only seemed to tolerate GMF with 20% Esbilac. Whenever I tried to drop lower, the poo juice returned. When FV arrived, I replaced the Esbilac with 20% FV (20/50) and she did amazing since I started her and as we increased.

Last batch of GMF I was lazy because I knew it would be 50/50 and I doubled the yogurt/cream in GMF because it was easier than mixing both. I might have gone too high? She doesn't seem to do well on GMF alone so maybe it's the % yogurt or cream she's not tolerating?

I doubled up on FV when I mixed it tonight. No creamy top on it, basically 75% FV to see if she does better. I'll double up again tomorrow afternoon (add a little FV to the day's mix) which will make it about 85% so that Saturday night she will start 100% and the only cream/yogurt I add will be to FV. That will be 3-days transition. Am I doing it too quickly? Or too slowly? She's 11 weeks and I know she should start weaning. She just tells me in no uncertain terms that she's not ready. I WILL take her down to 2x daily next week and start to wean once she's gaining weight regularly after her illness.

She would likely take 10% or more right now because she does seem to be overcompensating like a child who has been deprived food but I don't feel comfortable letting her do that until she's completely transitioned to new formula and her poo is 100% back to normal. She isn't happy about it, now that her appetite has returned, but I'm trying to hold her at 7% or less formula and tiding her over with fresh veggies and a few (5-10) Chex. She gets 2 Henry's blocks per day and I put Mazuri in her bowl after she's asleep in case she wakes up before I do (she sometimes eats one).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast