Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a baby whose upper torso is completely limp.. won't eat

Default Found a baby whose upper torso is completely limp.. won't eat

Mother Squirrel will not carry it back up the tree, she is only calling for it to climb up the tree it's lower legs have a lot of energy and it's squirms around like a worm trying to get up there I have brought it inside several times to clean up the wound that it's getting all over his face from rubbing against the ground and tree bark, each time I also try to feed it Fox valley formula but it won't take it. Today is day two. I left it all day yesterday at the base of the tree for mother to come get it and she's now nowhere to be found and I've brought the baby back inside again to wash its face and try to feed, with no luck.

My assessment is that the spine is broken. The only place on island that humanely euthanizes is only taking by appointment and can't/won't fit me in for a squirrel as an emergency. I'm on my own here.

Do I bring it back outside and leave it to die in a familiar place, brutally mauled by a cat after who knows how long of struggling to get up the tree and failing, or-- the groundskeepers finding it first and throwing it in the trash compactor alive, or do I keep it myself and let it slowly starve itself to death in a warm and safe (from further traumatic injury) but unfamiliar environment?

Default Re: Found a baby whose upper torso is completely limp.. won't eat

Quote Originally Posted by MotherOfBadgers View Post
    Mother Squirrel will not carry it back up the tree, she is only calling for it to climb up the tree it's lower legs have a lot of energy and it's squirms around like a worm trying to get up there I have brought it inside several times to clean up the wound that it's getting all over his face from rubbing against the ground and tree bark, each time I also try to feed it Fox valley formula but it won't take it. Today is day two. I left it all day yesterday at the base of the tree for mother to come get it and she's now nowhere to be found and I've brought the baby back inside again to wash its face and try to feed, with no luck.

My assessment is that the spine is broken. The only place on island that humanely euthanizes is only taking by appointment and can't/won't fit me in for a squirrel as an emergency. I'm on my own here.

Do I bring it back outside and leave it to die in a familiar place, brutally mauled by a cat after who knows how long of struggling to get up the tree and failing, or-- the groundskeepers finding it first and throwing it in the trash compactor alive, or do I keep it myself and let it slowly starve itself to death in a warm and safe (from further traumatic injury) but unfamiliar environment?
    I would bring it in. The mother won’t take this baby back. She knows. I would NOT let nature take its course. Warm the baby. Do you feel a crooked spine like a break? I released a girl for a friend that came in with paralyzed arms. The baby was given Metacam and the baby regained use of the arms. She was eventually released. I have her X-rays. I’ll find them. You would have never guessed that she would ever walk again but she did. Prednisone would be better if you have some. This might be inflammation pressing on nerves. IF if it is indeed broken, she will probably pass within 48 hrs, warm, loved and not ravaged by horrible people or animals.

3. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Chirps (09-23-2021), Grinderhead (09-22-2021), island rehabber (09-23-2021), redwuff (09-22-2021), stepnstone (09-22-2021), sundoesshine (09-22-2021), Taz2020 (09-22-2021)

The first pic is when she was released walking perfectly.
    The second pic is when she came in with front end paralysis.
    In my mind, this was almost miraculous. The initial X-ray looked awful. The acute angle of the vertebra looks like it should have severed the spinal cord but it didn’t.

Try offering formula when she settles down a bit.

Name:  CB4269F0-6363-430F-95E5-0EBC5F93F473.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  43.9 KBName:  5415ED63-74B4-4A99-83B0-228247AB9B0C.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  41.6 KB

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Chirps (09-23-2021), redwuff (09-22-2021)

Ouch, thanks for the pics. This is good to know.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    The first pic is when she was released walking perfectly.
    The second pic is when she came in with front end paralysis.
    In my mind, this was almost miraculous. The initial X-ray looked awful. The acute angle of the vertebra looks like it should have severed the spinal cord but it didn’t.

Try offering formula when she settles down a bit.

Name:  CB4269F0-6363-430F-95E5-0EBC5F93F473.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  43.9 KBName:  5415ED63-74B4-4A99-83B0-228247AB9B0C.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  41.6 KB
    No sharp breaks but it's the complete lack of response to stimuli when touching or manipulating the upper torso region that leads me to think paralysis. Her lungs are working and she can still grunt and scream/make mommy cries, but despite my best efforts over all day yesterday (8 am) and all day today (now 10:30 pm) she cannot or will not eat from the syringe and miracle nipple. Her bottom tooth has come in but not the top. Her size indicates that she's still suckling and that this fall was likely her first venture out of the dray.

When I try to feed it just accumulates in her mouth. She does the guppy thing but it's like she physically can't swallow. I have her in the xxl crate that Apache was in during his crate rest, with some soft bedding on half the cage and she keeps flopping around in there out onto the hard cold floor side of the cage and grunting.

This is tormenting me.

Her arms are stiff and cold like rigor has set in. Running a finger or q tip or the hard end of a paint brush down her chest = no response, get low enough near the belly she starts grunting or crying, this is the case 360 degrees around that section of the torso. Her head cannot turn and neck cannot bend but she reacts to stimuli of the face and top of the head.

You might be right. Her injuries might be so severe that she can’t swallow. Your heart will guide you. We don’t want them to suffer. Sometimes rehabbers have to make that difficult decision. We understand completely.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Chirps (09-23-2021), island rehabber (09-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    You might be right. Her injuries might be so severe that she can’t swallow. Your heart will guide you. We don’t want them to suffer. Sometimes rehabbers have to make that difficult decision. We understand completely.
    Well that's the problem… I'm not sure exactly what my options are…. Do I keep trying to "fix" this baby's injuries and keep trying to force feed, thus prolonging her life and suffering, however short/briefly I am able to, or do I just completely give up and leave her alone, in the crate, to just die… Slowly, starving to death, In my home? Or do I put her outside in the elements and let nature take it's course and I have that on my conscience or do I take a chance and put her in a box and just drop her off at animal care and Ctrl even though they are refusing me for an appointment, with the hope that they won't simply ignore an animal at their doorstep, or do I try to find some other way to euthanize her myself and then have that guilt with me for the rest of my life?

No choice here seems like the right option. I suppose at face value the "lesser evil" would be to give it my best shot at trying to rehab this Squirrel, force-feed, build a back brace with arm splints, the whole nine, But my heart and my head are both telling me, as well as my common sense, that it's a lost cause and beyond repair and what I see when I interact with this animal is fear, confusion, and distrust on top of the physical pain and confusion that she has about her body not functioning. The sounds that she makes when I'm approaching break my heart, she doesn't want me handling her and she struggles to get away but very quickly gives up when she realizes the futility of it all.

Nature has taken it's course and brought this baby to YOU. No, please do not leave her to starve slowly in your home. As long as she fights to live, you fight with her... continue to offer her hydration and food. From what I read, she has the will to live but needs some help, that is where you come in... don't worry about fixing her injuries right now, focus on getting her over this hump of not eating. If she gets through that, then there will be the next hump.

She may fail in her fight, but give her the chance. If her will gives out it will be very hard but try to be with her on her journey to her next chapter.

If you believe she is suffering, then why are not places not on the island an option?

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

HRT4SQRLS (09-24-2021), redwuff (09-23-2021)

I read through your posts more thoroughly, so maybe I can offer some more precise advice...

Warm, quiet, dark space. I'd rub some molasses, honey or syrup (in order of preference) on her gums.. she does not need to swallow as it will be absorbed... and assess if the turgor subsides. Hopefully it will subside and allow an opportunity to get some hydration into her.

Any chance you gave or can locate some prednisone (or prednisilone or dexamethsone) to treat her? Squirrels.. all rodents.. have a remarkable ability to recovery from spinal injuries (HRT provided some evidence of that already) with some steroid treatment.

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Chirps (09-23-2021), HRT4SQRLS (09-24-2021), island rehabber (09-23-2021)

MotherofBadgers, aren't you somewhere near me? Can you get to the Veterinary Emergency Group in White Plains? They WILL see her and they will euthanize or place her with a licensed rehabber if they think there is hope.....wonderful people.

VEG (Veterinary Emergency Group)
    914-354-3833

Good luck, my friend. This is a painful task you've been assigned...my heart goes out to this little one.

PS: I had a prednisone success story this season as well....head trauma boy could only spin and spin and spin and maybe walk a few steps with head twisted sideways. 4 days on pred and he is NORMAL. Releasable normal!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

redwuff (09-23-2021), stepnstone (09-23-2021), sundoesshine (09-23-2021)

She's made it through the night and is taking a bottle eagerly and has the jaw strength to bite me and make me bleed!

She's 290grams -- pm me prednisone dosing

To answer questions: id been putting some honey but no avail until late last night. Every time it seemed to be pushed out to the lips and just crusted over.

IR: i dont have my car right now. I'm expecting it back by the 29th so i can bring my boy for his surgery but I have a friend who is willing to take me and him and bring me to pick him up if need be but is NOT willing to transport a squirrel, unless it's Sterling (long desensitization process that was). I've called the vets by me that i can reasonably get to and they don't take squirrels and the animal care and control is only doing by appointment and was booked too far in advance and the twit on the phone just told me no, no openings and a squirrel isn't an emergency.

Anyway it's moot now. Maybe. She managed to escape the crate overnight. So now I have her in a cat carrier in the crate. Her arms are still stiff and cold as brick but she's eating. It's day three and she won't quit so ok neither will I. I'll do the best I can and if I feel no improvement or that she's special needs permanent NR I'll bring her to someone else willing to take that on when I get my car back.

18. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to MotherOfBadgers:

AnaMM (09-24-2021), Chirps (09-24-2021), HRT4SQRLS (09-23-2021), island rehabber (09-23-2021), redwuff (09-23-2021)

Bless you for fighting along with her... what strength is the prednisone?

Has she had any NSAID meds (ibuprofen/advil, metacam, etc.)?

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

MotherOfBadgers (09-23-2021), sundoesshine (09-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Bless you for fighting along with her... what strength is the prednisone?

Has she had any NSAID meds (ibuprofen/advil, metacam, etc.)?
    20mg prednisone pills us what I have on hand. Also 800mg and 200mg ibuprofens. Basically any of the otc typical stuff. Gabapentin 300mg.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherOfBadgers View Post
    20mg prednisone pills us what I have on hand. Also 800mg and 200mg ibuprofens. Basically any of the otc typical stuff. Gabapentin 300mg.

I will PM the Prednisone dosing.

I asked if she has had any NSAID because she cannot get Prednisone and NSAIDs (Ibuprofen) at the same time. There must be a 24 hour period between the last dose of NSAID and the first dose of prednisone. The drugs given together can cause some GI issues, even very serious issues on some occasions. And they both have anti-inflammatory properties.

I'd consider adding gabapentin, but I will not have time to dose that until this evening if no one else does it before I return.

But get her started on the prednisone right away if she has not had any NSAID meds.

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

HRT4SQRLS (09-23-2021), MotherOfBadgers (09-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

I will PM the Prednisone dosing.

I asked if she has had any NSAID because she cannot get Prednisone and NSAIDs (Ibuprofen) at the same time. There must be a 24 hour period between the last dose of NSAID and the first dose of prednisone. The drugs given together can cause some GI issues, even very serious issues on some occasions. And they both have anti-inflammatory properties.

I'd consider adding gabapentin, but I will not have time to dose that until this evening if no one else does it before I return.

But get her started on the prednisone right away if she has not had any NSAID meds.
    I've given her the first dose of prednisone. I suppose it's still too soon to expect any change in limbs.

Anyway nobody's pmd me gabapentin dosage. I have the 300mg capsules.

Gabapentin dosing sent in a PM.

Yes, it is still early to start seeing any improvements as a result of the prednisone... praying she'll start responding.

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

HRT4SQRLS (09-23-2021), MotherOfBadgers (09-23-2021)

Big thanks to Spanky for sending me the dosage breakdown that I need. I just fed her again… Decided to name her "nasty girl" because boy does she have a bad attitude… And the one dose of prednisone has already begun showing positive results, she can pull one arm away from me or towards her body, it's still stiff but she can manipulate it from the shoulder joint which is a huge improvement from it just being stuck completely straight out like a branch from a tree previously. She's also still eating, eagerly. No guppy mouth no aspiration, going to the bathroom on her own, hopefully she'll be good within a couple days, Probably still can't release though because she doesn't yet seem to be finished weaning which actually… Giving her full use of all her limbs it's just gonna make things harder but at least it won't have been for nothing

28. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to MotherOfBadgers:

HRT4SQRLS (09-23-2021), Spanky (09-24-2021), Taz2020 (09-24-2021)

This is good news! Thanks for keeping us updated. Updates will be crucial over the next few days as it may be recommended to tweak the dosing regiment depending on her progress.

Your update in the space of one day is in itself miraculous. From your first report of her condition I was afraid that Nasty Girl was one that might not have any chance of surviving her injuries. A girl that wouldn’t even swallow to eating eagerly and couldn’t move stiff, cold ridged arms to now moving them from the shoulder in what you describe as “huge improvement” is such good news. ALL this in a single day. Bless you for trying. The will to live is so strong. Thank you for giving her the chance.

I know she’s not out of the woods and the future is uncertain but I can say one thing for certain. When these seriously broken ones defy the odds and live and some are even released, there is NO greater feeling of accomplishment and joy. When Stevie, my broken little girl went to the trees I was ecstatic.

31. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

island rehabber (09-25-2021), stepnstone (09-24-2021), sundoesshine (09-25-2021)

After two prednisone doses and one gabapentin dose I am now chasing Nasty Girl around the living room because she escaped the cage again (bars too wide, cat carrier is plastic and I don't want her chewing that). I had fed her about two hours ago and just now was watching TV and saw a squirrel run by and I called Sterling and got no response so I did a double take and noticed no harness on that one and Sterling's on the other side of the couch with the dog and I just said "oh wow, good," then "ah, ****."

Left arm is a bit stiff but she's running and jumping and swatting and biting at me. I think I'm gonna have to put the spare cage together after I catch her.

I'm afraid of her now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast