Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lethargic baby red squirrel

Default Re: Lethargic baby red squirrel

Thanks.

We’re pretty messed up here. We only had him for 12 days, but at least he had 10 good ones he wouldn’t have had if we hadn’t found him.

I talked to our vet on the phone yesterday evening. He doesn’t work with wildlife, but is great with pocket pets. From my description he agreed it might be a calcium deficiency, but also possibly Vitamin D deficiency. I was going to go out this morning and get something he suggested for that.

We’ve had all sorts of small animal pets that we’ve lost over the last 30 years or so - gerbils, degus, hamsters, rabbits, and a whole lot of ferrets. Still have a couple of guinea pigs. But never had to care for babies before. This one is going to be difficult to get over. I even built him a large pre-release cage and a little tree nesting house, but he never got to use them.

Again, appreciate the help.

Default Re: Lethargic baby red squirrel

Stash, that just breaks my heart. 💔 Your situation is similar to mine except that you did everything possible to help your baby. I had my first baby 17 days and he died. Unfortunately he died due to a mistake I made because of lack of knowledge. It just killed me. I cried for two months. I also have had many pets but that loss was earth scattering for me. I couldnít move past it. Months later I found The Squirrel Board and started learning everything I could to help squirrels. Since that time 10 years ago I have done everything I can to help squirrels in his memory.

Donít get rid of the release cage. Others will find you and you will need it. There is no way to explain how that happens but it does. There is also no way to explain the depths of our grief over losing them. I am so very sorry.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

stepnstone (09-24-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12