Thread: Lefty's fur and first dose

Smile Lefty's fur and first dose

Lefty's fur is getting pretty straggly, so I purchased a bag of raw pecan halves and a plunger/tube of Ivermectin (apple flavor). I was told that a dose for a squirrel is very, very small...someone said the size of a piece of rice...so I got a toothpick and poked just a tiny line of the Ivermectin into the grooves of the pecan. Right about that time, Lefty showed up outside my window, so I went out and offered her the new treat, which she immediately took and devoured! Pecans are a hit! My understanding is that I should dose her again in about a week, and a week after that, with the same tiny amount. That tube of Ivermectin is going to last me a long time!

Took a few photos and short video of her eating her treat...the fur loss is quite apparent now. I looked back at older photos of her, and she had a full fur coat, so something is definitely going on. I appreciate all the suggestions and information on how to help her! Still trying to figure out how to get a sweater on her, though...

Today was also a milestone - the most nuts she has let me feed her at one time - 6!

Name:  Lefty.back.9.23.21.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  181.5 KB

Name:  Lefty side 9.23.21.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  191.7 KB

https://youtu.be/3voLFTwbhKE

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to dogmom623 from:

Chirps (09-23-2021)

Default Re: Lefty's fur and first dose

I'm glad she's being treated.
    Without treatment mange would continue to spread and with winter coming
    she's going to need her coat. With treatment she should be covered by then.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

dogmom623 (09-23-2021), Mel1959 (09-23-2021)

Canít wait to see Lefty with her full fully in. Make sure that you squeeze the tube to mix it up.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Can’t wait to see Lefty with her full fully in. Make sure that you squeeze the tube to mix it up.

The stuff I get comes in a solid syringe with a cap and the plunger end has a ring/dial that you slide along the plunger then turn it so it locks, so you can only depress the plunger as far as the ring. I guess to mix it one could squeeze out a substantial amount onto, say, a plate and mix it, but then you'd have to put it in a different container because there's no getting it back in the tube/syringe.

I have faith that they mix it thoroughly in the manufacturing process. <--- Closest thing I could find to crossed fingers
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

dogmom623 (09-24-2021), redwuff (09-24-2021)

That sounds like what I got - I did use the toothpick to "stir" the paste that was at the tip around a little before I used it. I hope I used enough, but I didn't want to risk using too much. I figured erring on the side of caution was better. How long should it take before I start seeing regrowth (and know that the treatment is working)?

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post

The stuff I get comes in a solid syringe with a cap and the plunger end has a ring/dial that you slide along the plunger then turn it so it locks, so you can only depress the plunger as far as the ring. I guess to mix it one could squeeze out a substantial amount onto, say, a plate and mix it, but then you'd have to put it in a different container because there's no getting it back in the tube/syringe.

I have faith that they mix it thoroughly in the manufacturing process. <--- Closest thing I could find to crossed fingers