Thread: Advice with feeding schedule and heating pad

Default Advice with feeding schedule and heating pad

Name:  CCD61191-10BA-4988-A33D-EB11577AD356.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  124.8 KBHi. I was hoping to get some advice with 2 male squirrels that are about 6-7 weeks old in South Florida. One weighs 164 grams and the other 156 grams. I am feeding them 10 ml of fox valley 20/50 4 times a day. Is this the correct amount of times a day for their age and weight? Also, can I already take the bin off of the heating pad?

I just started giving them Henry's Picky blocks and they are shredding it but not really eating them yet. I will add leafy greens and vegetables in about a week. Is this correct? When do I switch them to 3 times a day, then twice a day and then once a day for their formula?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Default Re: Advice with feeding schedule and heating pad

The amount you’re feeding is sorta correct for their weights. As they continue to gain weight, and get older, you will increase the amount they eat. The feeding 5-7% of their weight rule is a guideline. They may begin to want more than 7% which is fine as long as the increases are gradual. 164gr x 7%=11.5cc. This would be how much your heavier squirrel is capable of eating at each meal. It’s the capacity of his stomach, but working up to that amount should be gradual. If he still acts hungry after consuming 10ccs then allow him a little more. As they get older they may eat 10% of their weight.

As the amount at each feeding increases you may notice that they aren’t quite as hungry when the next feeding time rolls around. This is when you can begin to space the feedings a little further apart. We don’t wean them…we let them decide when they no longer want formula. Each squirrel is different. There’s no hard and fast rule about cutting the number of daily feedings.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

AnaMM (09-21-2021)