Thread: Weekend care until rehab opens

Default Weekend care until rehab opens

Hi, all. We had a storm last night and late this morning I found a juvenile squirrel on the ground, soaked to the bone, cold to the touch, and he looked dead except for some light twitching. I brought him in and put him in a warm, quite place just, honestly, to give him a comfortable place to die, because he really did not look like he would survive.

When I checked him an hour later, he was crying and suckling on the blanket. He's an older baby: all fur is in, tail is fluffy (eastern gray), eyes are open. I offered a small dish of water and some berries. When I checked back in another hour, he hadn't touched any of those and was still suckling on the blanket. So I mixed half-strength kitten milk replacer and offered it in a bottle. He ate such a small amount that I couldn't measure the volume he consumed. But within 30 minutes after that, he was active and sassy and trying to climb up me when I opened his box.

So, the little guy looks like he's going to survive! Trouble is, it's Saturday evening here. Our nearest wildlife rehab is 45 minutes away and their voicemail says they aren't open until Monday morning.

I've again put a small dish of water, a cherry, and a few pieces of raw walnut in his box with him.

How can I keep this little one alive and healthy until he can get qualified care?

Thank you all!

Default Re: Weekend care until rehab opens

Quote Originally Posted by widerchange View Post
    Hi, all. We had a storm last night and late this morning I found a juvenile squirrel on the ground, soaked to the bone, cold to the touch, and he looked dead except for some light twitching. I brought him in and put him in a warm, quite place just, honestly, to give him a comfortable place to die, because he really did not look like he would survive.

When I checked him an hour later, he was crying and suckling on the blanket. He's an older baby: all fur is in, tail is fluffy (eastern gray), eyes are open. I offered a small dish of water and some berries. When I checked back in another hour, he hadn't touched any of those and was still suckling on the blanket. So I mixed half-strength kitten milk replacer and offered it in a bottle. He ate such a small amount that I couldn't measure the volume he consumed. But within 30 minutes after that, he was active and sassy and trying to climb up me when I opened his box.

So, the little guy looks like he's going to survive! Trouble is, it's Saturday evening here. Our nearest wildlife rehab is 45 minutes away and their voicemail says they aren't open until Monday morning.

I've again put a small dish of water, a cherry, and a few pieces of raw walnut in his box with him.

How can I keep this little one alive and healthy until he can get qualified care?

Thank you all!
    It sounds to me like you could be overestimating it's age and baby would still be nursing and needs formula.
    KMR (kitten milk) is not good for squirrels. Can you post a picture of baby for assessment.
    I'm attaching the link to baby squirrel care that hopefully can help you along.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

widerchange (09-19-2021)

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/eOaRES4aVuNB

I'm having trouble attaching a photo here. I hope the link will work.

Thank you. I will read the information and do whatever I need to do for the little one.

Would be interested in your estimate of his age and food needs.Name:  20210918_205532.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  97.3 KB

How is your baby doing? Pictures are always welcome.

Sorry, posted a minute after you.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Name:  20210918_205532.jpg
Size:  97.3 KBName:  20210918_205525.jpg
Size:  113.2 KB

The baby is very active and bright. I don't see any signs of dehydration or injury. I also don't see any signs that he's interested in the solid foods I've left him.

Try offering some slightly sweetened warm water with a 1cc syringe. Hydration is important. You could try offering a chunk of avocado (no skin) and see if he’ll eat that.

I hope you get him to the rehab facility first thing Monday morning….and that they will take him. He really needs formula and would still be nursing if he was with mom.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

widerchange (09-19-2021)

Thank you, everyone. My little friend is in the hands of a qualified rehabilitator who said he was in "great shape."

That’s wonderful news!