Thread: 5 young squirrels, all have diarrhea.

Default 5 young squirrels, all have diarrhea.

Greetings all. My first post.
    I have successfully raised a dozen baby squirrels over the decades, this round has been an extreme challenge. They're currently about 8-9 weeks old.

4 weeks ago a friend brought me 4 pinkies siblings, all about a week and a half old. Things were fine. Warmed, hydrated, Espilac'd, and successfully stimulated, all good for 3 days, then another friend brought a 5th baby from a different mom. Looked to be half a week older than the rest. The 5th squirrel had diarrhea, and within a few days they all had it. #5 soon showed high anxiety, very fidgety. After a few days of toying with 50/50 pedialyte/water, there was some success, but in the end diarrhea nightmare. Tried alternating Espilac and hydration cycles. Nothing. I then began mixing in carefully weighed-out penicillin, and within a few days, all were good. Unfortunately I stopped after 3 days (dumb, I know.) Three days later diarrhea crept back. Tried to hydrate/feed my way out, but after a week I went back to penicillin. After 3 days they were all good. Stuck with it for 7-solid days, then 3 days after stopping: Bam! #5 now fully wigging-out, nervous as hell, and the others are starting to demonstrate similar nervousness. They seem to be very uncomfortable. Please advise.

Default Re: 5 young squirrels, all have diarrhea.

Is this a very stinky diarrhea?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

SquirrelRescueDad (09-17-2021)

It sure does sound like a transmissible, infectious agent. The possibilities are Coccidia and Giardia or even other parasites. You can buy meds for Coccidia in some farm stores. There is a place in California that sells meds online for Giardia.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Is this a very stinky diarrhea?
    It's not crazy-stinky. It definitely adds up when 5 of them are generating. ... In my living room, lol. Pretty careful about washing bedding, and disposing of waste.
    Thank you for the suggestion on Cocedia meds! I will call around now! Really grateful for your experience/advise!

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelRescueDad View Post
    It's not crazy-stinky. It definitely adds up when 5 of them are generating. ... In my living room, lol. Pretty careful about washing bedding, and disposing of waste.
    Thank you for the suggestion on Cocedia meds! I will call around now! Really grateful for your experience/advise!

Usually Coccidia has a horrid smell. Luckily, I’ve never encountered it but those that have say it’s memorable.

Update: It's been 5 days and the little guys still have diarrhea and gas. Things seem to be only slightly better. Poo is slightly more solid for some of them. They are a bit easier to handle.
    I'm wondering if my medicine dosages are off.
    Squirrels are probably about a pound each now. Guessing. (I ordered a scale today.) 8 weeks old
    - 13cc of Espilac per squirrel every 4 hours.
    - Alternating 50/50 Pedialyte/water every 2 hrs.
    - CORID Amprolium at 0.007g per feeding, per squirrel
    - Penicillin 0.006g per squirrel every 4hrs.

Update: It's been 5 days and the little guys still have diarrhea and gas. Things seem to be only slightly better. Poo is slightly more solid for some of them. They are a bit easier to handle.
    I'm wondering if my medicine dosages are off.
    Squirrels are probably about a pound each now. Guessing. (I ordered a scale today.) 8 weeks old
    - 13cc of Espilac per squirrel every 4 hours.
    - Alternating 50/50 Pedialyte/water every 2 hrs.
    - CORID Amprolium at 0.007g per feeding, per squirrel
    - Penicillin 0.006g per squirrel every 4hrs.
    I would do a 3/2 split formula/water feed at 5% of body weight for the morning feeding. Then at the next feeding if it hasn’t cleared up do just water feeding. Your gonna have to reset them by flushing the system. Then once the poops look better go back to 3/2 @ 5% for a couple of feedings then go back full formula. But stay around 5-6% of the body weight. I’ve got two right now that I’m working with and we are doing good with this method.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tuff from:

SquirrelRescueDad (09-22-2021)

There still seems to be an Esbilac problem. I would get them onto another formula. Just saying
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Mel1959 (09-22-2021), SquirrelRescueDad (09-22-2021), Tuff (09-22-2021)

Re read and saw a new baby could have brought it to the rest. Have you tried metro and Baytril together?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

SquirrelRescueDad (09-22-2021)

I would discontinue the penicillin immediately. It won’t help with something like this. It might even make it worse. Penicillin is such a narrow spectrum antibiotic that it’s use is in very specific applications. Basically, Strep throat is all it’s good for. There are MANY antibiotics in the penicillin class that are SO much better than penicillin, it is rarely used. We never use penicillin on The Squirrel Board.

15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Spanky (09-22-2021), SquirrelRescueDad (09-22-2021), stepnstone (09-30-2021)

I think eventually you will need the metronidazole to get this under control. I see you’re treating for Coccidia.

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Re read and saw a new baby could have brought it to the rest. Have you tried metro and Baytril together?
    No, I haven't tried them individually, or mixed.

Stopping Penicillin: Will do immediately. Unfortunately I've been a bit limited as to what is obtainable without a prescription.

Morning all.
    Update: 5 days ago I brought squirrel #5 to Wildlife rescue since he was becoming unhandleable. With the 4 left, I discontinued penicillin, completed the few days left of Coccidia treatment. Then tried the 3/2 split formula/water feeding, gradually thickening over a few days. They started to get more regular, but then one by one started to get bad diarrhea. For those with diarrhea, I continued thinning-out Esbilac, while also alternating feeding of thinned-out Pedialyte/water. While energetic and happy, they seem to be digressing.
    So from what you're all sharing, it sounds like the things left to try are: Different food, baytril, metro, or the combo of baytril/metro. Unfortunately I can't get metro, or baytril. Will try different food. Any suggestions?

They're currently about 8-9 weeks old.

4 weeks ago a friend brought me 4 pinkies siblings, all about a week and a half old.

If you got them 4 weeks ago and they were 10 days old (+/-) they'd not be 8 - 9 weeks old, or are these different babies?

Hold old is the 5th baby?

I am trying to get a clearer understanding...

So from what you're all sharing, it sounds like the things left to try are: Different food, baytril, metro, or the combo of baytril/metro. Unfortunately I can't get metro, or baytril. Will try different food. Any suggestions?
    https://www.allthingsbunnies.com/Toltrazuril-5-Suspension-for-Coccidiosis-p/med132.htm

I'd doubt they weigh a full pound, highly suggest using a kitchen scale to weigh them (especially when giving medication).

Have you switched formula or are you still using the Esbilac powder?
    https://henryspets.com/fox-valley-da...aby-squirrels/

You can use a drop or two of Pepto Bismol or Kaopectate; this will may help control the diarrhea but if this is coccidia it will not fix the underlying problem. May buy some time waiting for the totrazuriul to arrive.

Canned pumpkin (or baby food pumpkin... NOT pumpkin pie mix) may help.

Also BRAT:
    3 tablespoons (already) mixed formula 2-1
    1/2 tsp baby rice powered cereal
    1/2 tsp banana baby food.

@spanky, I read your post a day after you responded, just been a bit too overwhelmed with life and the squirrels to respond. Been busy cycling different ways to address the Diarrhea. Anyway, thank you.

I realize now that in my last post, I neglected to mention that I was thinning-out the Espilac, in lieu of Goat Milk formula. Gradually working to only GM formula mix. It's been 4 days now on that GM mix, and the results are not much better. Occasionally one will have a decent poo. A few days ago I started adding a drop of Pepto, and resumed with CORID (amprolium) at 0.015g per feeding of each squirrel. Also been adding the same amount of probiotic. Squirrels are now between 8.5oz-10oz and more skinny than they should be. Diarrhea is not better. Age: See image below from Aug 12th & a week ago.

In a response above, HRT4SQRLS mentioned the possibility of Coccidia AND Giardia. This seems likely. Perhaps I'm addressing the Coccidia but not Giardia, and there's a need for Metronidazole. I can't find this in CA.

I believe that they are ready for natural food, but I'm concerned that not getting them medicine before release will set them up for failure outside. Name:  242349213_4387243078055745_4554675202717059750_n.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  112.0 KBName:  PXL_20210812_134808248.MP.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  110.8 KB

I'm feeling terrible. They must be suffering.

SRD, I sent the info on obtaining the Metronidazole. The Goat Milk Formula is a temporary formula so you will need to order Fox Valley 20:50. This will be the formula they stay on until weaning.

Just wanted to let you know, if cost is an issue I’ll be happy to send the Metronidazole.

I would definitely start introducing solid food if you haven’t already. I would give them either commercial rodent block or Henry’s Healthy Picky Eater Block. I prefer the Envigo Teklad 2016 block but it has to be bought online. At pet retailers you can buy Mazuri rodent block which is an acceptable block.

A senior member on the board has used Rice Chex to help with diarrhea. Squirrels love them and it will help with the inflammation in the GI tract. I would hate for it to be the first food as they will then probably try to reject other healthy foods. Get them eating the block and then give them a few name brand Rice Chex. Rice is part of the diet recommended for babies with diarrhea so it’s worth a try. If you need me to send the Metronidazole, let me know.

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Mel1959 (09-30-2021), SquirrelRescueDad (09-30-2021)