Thread: Help Please.... Itchy babies and getting red where they are biting themselves

Default Help Please.... Itchy babies and getting red where they are biting themselves

Good afternoon,
    I have 6 babies from Ida. 4 have started biting their tails and feet. I am suspecting mites, is it correct to bathe in Dawn and put betadine on the tails? We cannot locate the revolution but are still reaching out. Thank you for any help! I have attached pics I hope! LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Help Please.... Itchy babies and getting red where they are biting themselves

Yes, please do both those things at least 2x day. If there are mites under their fur, be careful as they can get on you too.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Default Re: Help Please.... Itchy babies and getting red where they are biting themselves

Thank you! Would neosporin be good also or just the dipping tails and blotting betadine on it for now?

If you can get Revolution or Bravecto topical/Bravecto plus (cat) prescribed for one of your cats or dogs (if you have one), then you can just put one teeny tiny drop on each squirrel, which will kill any mites MiconaHex Triz spray (Dechra brand) is available without a prescription on Chewy and Amazon, and it will clear up most secondary bacterial and yeast infections and even treat some cases of minor ringworm. If you do get some itching yourself, don’t worry about mites because they won’t be able to complete a lifecycle on human skin and will quickly die. But, if you get something that looks like ringworm, you should probably ask a doctor about it (or...just put vaginal cream or athlete’s foot cream on it like I do).

This website claims to sell Bravecto without a prescription, but I don’t know anything else about it:

https://www.vetshopmax.com/no-rx-required