Thread: Need HELP feeding baby: the saga continues

Default Need HELP feeding baby: the saga continues

So I've abandoned FV for good. I lost 3 FSs to cement gut (full story in the nutrition thread).

I got in two 3wo EGS last night, and one died quickly after developing petechiae (pinpoint bruises) all over. The other has been fully hydrated but does not want to eat and isn't too enthusiastic about Pedialyte anymore.

I tried GME, regular Esbilac, and homemade goat milk formula (Henry's) with yoghurt substituted for goat milk (can't get any this late). I gave some more SQ fluids and capromorelin (appetite stimulant).

Any ideas?

I have a full veterinary hospital at my disposal, and I'll try anything.

Foods on hand: yoghurt, heavy whipping cream, whole cow's milk, FV: 20/50, 25/30, 40/25, ultraboost), FortiFlora, Esbilac, GME, some random Pet Ag powder for puppies that isn't Esbilac, calf electrolyte replacer, kid starter, chicken and duck eggs, Pedialyte, NaCL, LRS.

Thank you!

Default Re: Need HELP feeding baby: the saga continues

How old do you estimate this baby and what kind of condition did it come in. Is it hydrated (maybe it needs sub a). Any chance of pneumonia?

I have had babies come in that were so depressed from being on the brink of death, it felt to me that they were deciding if they wanted to stay. I would have to feed drop by drop till they stabilized.

If this baby is at least 3 weeks, I would try fv20/50. It tastes good and we have not had any problems with it.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Mel1959 (09-16-2021)

Default Re: Need HELP feeding baby: the saga continues

Thanks so much. Yes he’s well hydrated (been giving SQs in addition to electrolytes) and wasn’t very malnourished or dehydrated on intake compared to most. He’s about three weeks; no signs of pneumonia and the finder assured me she didn’t try to feed or hydrate him. He didn’t even come in a box with pecans or slices of bread like most of them do, haha. I tried the homemade pinkie formula off Henry’s and he loves it! I’m having to pace him. But, I’d be more comfortable doing the 20/50, so it’s reassuring to know I can just transition him to that and not wait another week.