Thread: Oxygen supplementation?

Default Oxygen supplementation?

I have a baby that’s on ab and has been struggling to breathe but pulling through and hanging on so we were wondering if adding an oxygen tank at a very low output in his room would be a mistake?

My instincts want to say it wouldn’t do any harm to try and make it a bit easier for him to get enough oxygen with each breath but I am not sure and have a nagging concern just because I’m definitely not a vet and don’t know if there’s any possibility that it could actually be harmful because increasing the oxygen on a 5-6 week old baby might make them “used” to unnatural levels or something or somehow weaken him (as in “his needs to do the work to function or something that seems outlandish like that)

I hope this makes some kind of sense and isn’t just rambling but we can’t get him to a real vet in my area because species and I’m really wanting to give him literally every leg up in this battle that I possibly can

He’s definitely “improved” on ab (went from lifeless to active) but the gasping has me deeply concerned still…

Default Re: Oxygen supplementation?

What abs is he on
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    What abs is he on
    Augmenten was best I could find so far

If you have an oxygen concentrator, it wouldn’t hurt to build him a little oxygen chamber out of a Sterilite box or 10-gallon tank or even Saran Wrap around a pet carrier in a pinch. This is how we do it in vet med. but you want to make sure there are vents for CO2 to escape and that it doesn’t get too hot inside. Pet stores have aquarium thermometers/humidity meters that work well. If it’s getting too hot, an ice pack wrapped in a towel to absorb the condensation works well, placed away from the patient. But that’s probably not necessary if the patient is a neonate, as they need to be kept warm anyway. Just make sure it doesn’t get too hot with the heating pad or whatever you’re using. There are instructions on YouTube about DIY oxygen chambers. They also sell oxygen concentrators on Amazon for about $3-400 and vets can prescribe rentals at local human medical supply companies. Nebulization with saline is helpful too. If any more-seasoned rehabbers have any tips or cautions to add to this reply, your input would be greatly appreciated!

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrelyDan from:

mojoandvoodoo (09-14-2021)