Thread: Looking for rehabber in NY - Capital Area for Healthy ~5 Week Old Gray Squirrel

Question Looking for rehabber in NY - Capital Area for Healthy ~5 Week Old Gray Squirrel

Hi! I'm hoping to identify a wild life rehabber who can take a baby gray squirrel that is about 5 weeks old. I am located in upstate NY, in the Albany area.

Last Thursday or so rescued a gray squirrel from my dog. I think the squirrel may have fallen from the nest during a recent storm before being discovered by my curious pooch. The squirrel was unharmed, but my attempts to reunite it with it's mother were unsuccessful. I'm thinking the squirrel is about 5 weeks old. He is ~140g, and just opened his eyes. He has both his top and bottom teeth, and has become more active over the past couple days. He was not particularly dehydrated or malnourished.

I've done a ton of research and I'm making every attempt to properly care for this little guy until I can find him a more suitable care taker. I am concerned that since he is being raised alone, I will have difficulty releasing him once he is ready, and that he will not be prepared to survive on his own. While I am doing my best, I am also not an experienced care taker of small rodents, and I'm not entirely sure it is even legal in my area to have this little guy.

I've called several wildlife rehabilitators in my area, but I've had no luck. If anyone has a contact in my area, I would really appreciate the assistance!

Default Re: Looking for rehabber in NY - Capital Area for Healthy ~5 Week Old Gray Squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by wally_fries View Post
    Hi! I'm hoping to identify a wild life rehabber who can take a baby gray squirrel that is about 5 weeks old. I am located in upstate NY, in the Albany area.

Last Thursday or so rescued a gray squirrel from my dog. I think the squirrel may have fallen from the nest during a recent storm before being discovered by my curious pooch. The squirrel was unharmed, but my attempts to reunite it with it's mother were unsuccessful. I'm thinking the squirrel is about 5 weeks old. He is ~140g, and just opened his eyes. He has both his top and bottom teeth, and has become more active over the past couple days. He was not particularly dehydrated or malnourished.

I've done a ton of research and I'm making every attempt to properly care for this little guy until I can find him a more suitable care taker. I am concerned that since he is being raised alone, I will have difficulty releasing him once he is ready, and that he will not be prepared to survive on his own. While I am doing my best, I am also not an experienced care taker of small rodents, and I'm not entirely sure it is even legal in my area to have this little guy.

I've called several wildlife rehabilitators in my area, but I've had no luck. If anyone has a contact in my area, I would really appreciate the assistance!
    I can’t help with rehabbers in your area but this baby squirrel guide might help you.
    https://henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Don’t worry about releasing him as a singleton if perchance you don’t find a rehabber. 99% will successfully release. They want to be free. They are driven by wild instincts even when raised by humans. We don’t have to teach them to ‘squirrel’. They just know. Many will even start wilding up if kept too long. They can get aggressive. They want to be in the trees. The problem I see is that you might have to overwinter the baby. He is very young so it is probably too late in the season to release before winter. If you could find a rehabber it would definitely be better as he would be with other babies and waiting for spring with a anxious, bored teenage squirrel is often a challenge.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

KCullen (07-26-2022), wally_fries (09-13-2021)

Wink Re: Looking for rehabber in NY - Capital Area for Healthy ~5 Week Old Gray Squirrel

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me with that info! Luckily, I found a local rehabber right after creating the thread. I was pretty concerned about having to overwinter him, but the person who took him has several other baby squirrels she will be overwintering as well.

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to wally_fries:

HRT4SQRLS (09-13-2021), redwuff (09-13-2021), stepnstone (09-13-2021)

Default Re: Looking for rehabber in NY - Capital Area for Healthy ~5 Week Old Gray Squirrel

That is awesome news Wally!

Give me a txt or call 518-961-7149 i want to speak with a local expert

Upstateny, always check the upper left corner of a thread to see when it was last active. This thread, unfortunately, is over 6 months old. I responded to your other post but will give you the info again here of rehabbers in the Albany NY area:

Rehabilitator Search Results for Small Mammals in All Counties

Please Note: You may have to contact more than one rehabilitator. Not all rehabilitators may be able to accept every injured or orphaned animal due to limited space or resources.
    County City Name of Wildlife Rehabilitator Business Phone Email
    ALBANY Watervliet Jessica L Dennis 518-860-0120 jessicadennis1@me.com
    ALBANY Guilderland KRISTIN S SCOTT 518-253-3277
    ALBANY Guilderland ROBERT S SCOTT 518-253-1916
    ALBANY ALTAMONT JEAN M SIMMONS 518-365-3673 jsimmons57@nycap.rr
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.