Thread: 7-8 week old EGS with multiple injuries likely sustained in fall

Exclamation 7-8 week old EGS with multiple injuries likely sustained in fall

He is responsive but in very bad shape. He is somewhat mobile but drags his lower half and is stiff. His top incisors are broken nearly to the gums and though his nose is no longer bleeding, he definitely has some swelling in his nose/nasal passages. He weighs 102 grams. If he survives the next 24 hours, we’ll be seeing the vet.

I have 10 mg prednisone tablets. I also have Meticam. Can someone please help me decide on the first course of action?

I will also need dosing information. Please assist!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: 7-8 week old EGS with multiple injuries likely sustained in fall

I will send prednisone dosing in a PM.

Prednisone and Meticam (or any NSAID med) cannot be given together as there are serious drug interactions.

If you start prednisone, which I would recommend, do not give any Meticam. And let the vet know you started prednisone.

If he has received Meticam, I might continue that until he sees the vet tomorrow. There should be a 24 hour period before the last dose of Meticam adn the first dose of prednisone and vice versa.

The stiffness could be a result of shock. The treatment includes plenty of hydration and warmth, in a dark, quiet place. And I recommend you rub some molasses, honey or sugar (in order of preference) on his gums and see if he perks up (and let us know).

Is there a possibility he was caught by a cat?

Do you have any antibiotics on hand? If so, please lit them...

Be sure to keep us updated on his progress, especially if you chose the prednisone therapy, as it may require tweaking depending on his reponse.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Danie (09-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

Prednisone and Meticam (or any NSAID med) cannot be given together as there are serious drug interactions.

If you start prednisone, which I would recommend, do not give any Meticam. And let the vet know you started prednisone.

If he has received Meticam, I might continue that until he sees the vet tomorrow. There should be a 24 hour period before the last dose of Meticam adn the first dose of prednisone and vice versa.

The stiffness could be a result of shock. The treatment includes plenty of hydration and warmth, in a dark, quiet place. And I recommend you rub some molasses, honey or sugar (in order of preference) on his gums and see if he perks up (and let us know).

Be sure to keep us updated on his progress, especially if you chose the prednisone therapy, as it may require tweaking depending on his reponse.

I haven’t administered any medication yet. So far, I’ve given him rehydration fluid only. He’s currently in a “baby bin” to limit his movement and it’s heated on one side. He is alone in a dark room. I also put rodent block in with him, and he’s gnawed on some. Soon, I will start him on formula (FV 20/50 & Ultraboost), diluted with water for the first few feedings to get him acclimated.

I’m wondering if I should hold off on medication until we see the vet tomorrow- he is not crying or showing any signs of pain. Which is strange Bc I don’t know how he could possibly not be in any pain.

He has no open wounds consistent with an animal attack.

Edited to add: the only thing I have on hand currently in terms of antibiotics is baytril.

Quote Originally Posted by Danie View Post
    I haven’t administered any medication yet. So far, I’ve given him rehydration fluid only. He’s currently in a “baby bin” to limit his movement and it’s heated on one side. He is alone in a dark room. I also put rodent block in with him, and he’s gnawed on some. Soon, I will start him on formula (FV 20/50 & Ultraboost), diluted with water for the first few feedings to get him acclimated.

I’m wondering if I should hold off on medication until we see the vet tomorrow- he is not crying or showing any signs of pain. Which is strange Bc I don’t know how he could possibly not be in any pain.

He has no open wounds consistent with an animal attack.

Edited to add: the only thing I have on hand currently in terms of antibiotics is baytril.
    I would skip the ultra boost for now. I just had issues with constipation in two babies I have now. I would do a 50/50 split water and formula so as not to upset his system along with injuries. Then move up to normal after a couple of feedings. Praying for the little guy.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tuff from:

Danie (09-12-2021)

I haven’t administered any medication yet. I’m wondering if I should hold off on medication until we see the vet tomorrow- he is not crying or showing any signs of pain. Which is strange Bc I don’t know how he could possibly not be in any pain.
    Squirrels are masters of disguising their pain. When it is obvious, it most certainly is simply unbearable.

Is he still "stiff"? If yes, have you rubbed molasses on his gums?

Holding off on the meds is a double edge sword since time is of the essence when treating a spinal injury.... the sooner the prednisone is started, the better the recovery possibilities. Of course, this could be a traumatic spinal injury that severed the spine, in which case the prednisone regiment would most likely fail.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Danie (09-12-2021)

Squirrels are masters of disguising their pain. When it is obvious, it most certainly is simply unbearable.

Is he still "stiff"? If yes, have you rubbed molasses on his gums?

Holding off on the meds is a double edge sword since time is of the essence when treating a spinal injury.... the sooner the prednisone is started, the better the recovery possibilities. Of course, this could be a traumatic spinal injury that severed the spine, in which case the prednisone regiment would most likely fail.
    He is stiff, and I have tried rubbing molasses on his gums- no change. His back leg and feet and locked. One foot is stuck at a 180 degree angle. The other is stuck in a more natural position.

I should mention that the finder had him for 24 hours before contacting me. So, he is at last 30 hours our from his fall.

I’m going to start the prednisone. I will NOT administer any NSAIDS until at least 24 hours post prednisone’s last dose. We will definitely see the vet tomorrow, and I will not forget to tell him that we started Prednisone. My heart is just breaking for this little guy. The finder named him Scooter Jenkins, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
    I would skip the ultra boost for now. I just had issues with constipation in two babies I have now. I would do a 50/50 split water and formula so as not to upset his system along with injuries. Then move up to normal after a couple of feedings. Praying for the little guy.
    Got it- I will make him some Fox valley without the UB. My 10 other babies (yeah, I’m crazy) are on a 2:1 mixture.

I usually do 50/50 with water for 2, 75/25 for 2, and then 100% formula. Is this dragging it out more than need be?

Got it- I will make him some Fox valley without the UB. My 10 other babies (yeah, I’m crazy) are on a 2:1 mixture.

I usually do 50/50 with water for 2, 75/25 for 2, and then 100% formula. Is this dragging it out more than need be?
    I would say no, considering his other injuries I wouldn’t want him having any other digestive issues. I didn’t read where he is peeing on is own? Have you checked for pain response? I don’t think I read that in your post but I will check again. I’m a little absent minded these days.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tuff from:

Danie (09-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
    I would say no, considering his other injuries I wouldn’t want him having any other digestive issues. I didn’t read where he is peeing on is own? Have you checked for pain response? I don’t think I read that in your post but I will check again. I’m a little absent minded these days.
    He is peeing and pooping on his own with less than normal output but more frequently. He is taking 3 ccs of formula with enthusiasm- but, I’ve not yet been able to get him to take more. He also is eating rodent block.

He has minimal use of his left foot. If I rub the bottom of his foot, he spreads his toes out. I can move that leg in and out and he doesn’t respond as though he feels pain. The right leg also moves, but the right foot is angled at a 180 degrees and he fusses if I touch it. His tail is definitely broken- less than an inch from the base. He responds to touch there, as well. His back is curved forward and seems to be stuck but he is able to move forward and backward.

I have him in a container to minimize movement- hoping not to have him further injure himself. When he arrived, I observed him move using his front limbs to scoot himself across the box the finders delivered him in.

I asked a friend, who also rehabs, to come over and observe him. She did and recommended that I have him euthanized immediately. I thought about it and decided that he deserves a chance given that he is eating, peeing, pooping, and very alert. I will be taking him to to the vet today. This vet is the only one in my area who treats wild animals- I will follow his recommendations.

He has had 2 doses of prednisone and seems no different.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Danie from:

Tuff (09-13-2021)