Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Found baby squirrel next to dead baby squirrel

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Rockville, Md
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 15

    Question Found baby squirrel next to dead baby squirrel

    Hello,

    Yesterday evening we found a baby squirrel next to it's dead sibling underneath one of our trees. It didn't have any injuries and was just lying next to it. I had no problems picking it up and we brought it inside our home where we have been giving it heat and attempting to hydrate. We are a bird family and had an extra cage and bird snuggle hammock we are using as it's temporary bed. We placed a warm bottle next to the hammock and also a heated rice buddy. The little one already has greyish hair and a furry tail and it's eyes are wide open. At one point, it climbed to and around my shoulders, which I see as a great sign. Is it safe to attempt letting climb it's tree? What do I do if it does, i.e. how do I know it will be OK? My next step would be to take it to a rehab place. I have been using a water, salt, sugar formula I found online to hydrate (1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 tablespoon sugar, 2 cups water). It only took a little bit, but I've been learning a lot from this site about how to properly give the hydration! Thanks for your insights/ recommendations

  2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to sdela from:

    MrsTubeDriver (09-12-2021)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    East coast of Florida
    Posts
    7,916
    Thanked: 10784

    Default Re: Found baby squirrel next to dead baby squirrel

    Does the baby have a fluffy tail or a thin tail covered with short hair?

    It undoubtedly is too young to be on its own. You can play the baby squirrel cry recording and see if mom will come and claim it. In the emergency section on this forum is an hour long recording of a baby crying. Play it from your phone with the volume on loud. Place the warm baby in a shallow box with a blanket in an area near where found. You must stand away and monitor the baby to see if mom comes and to be sure no predators come. If mom is in the area it doesn’t usually take long for her to retrieve the baby. Mommy squirrels will retrieve babies in the daytime, not at night or dusk.

    If she doesn’t come then you must get the baby to a rehabber as it will need to be fed the proper formula and will likely need many more weeks before it is old enough to live on its own.

    You can search these links on this TSB thread for rehabilitators that might be close by. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...life-Rehabbers

  4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

    MrsTubeDriver (09-12-2021)

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    17,213
    Thanked: 12142

    Default Re: Found baby squirrel next to dead baby squirrel

    If this baby can not be reunited with it's mother please do not take to a facility as due to covid among other factors it would be euthanized.
    I am a licensed rehabilitator close to you in Olney, I can take it in where it will have others to grow with.
    I am presently out of town at my release site but will be back around 7pm. I will private message you my phone number where you can reach me.
    it would be best to text first so I will know to answer.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  6. 8 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

    cassgrimm (09-12-2021), CritterMom (09-12-2021), HRT4SQRLS (09-12-2021), Mel1959 (09-13-2021), MrsTubeDriver (09-12-2021), Nancy in New York (09-12-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (09-12-2021), Tuff (09-12-2021)

  7. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Rockville, Md
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 15

    Default Re: Found baby squirrel next to dead baby squirrel

    Thanks so much! It's thin covered with short hair. I did see the recording and will try this method to attract it's Mom. I'll keep u posted!



    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Does the baby have a fluffy tail or a thin tail covered with short hair?

    It undoubtedly is too young to be on its own. You can play the baby squirrel cry recording and see if mom will come and claim it. In the emergency section on this forum is an hour long recording of a baby crying. Play it from your phone with the volume on loud. Place the warm baby in a shallow box with a blanket in an area near where found. You must stand away and monitor the baby to see if mom comes and to be sure no predators come. If mom is in the area it doesn’t usually take long for her to retrieve the baby. Mommy squirrels will retrieve babies in the daytime, not at night or dusk.

    If she doesn’t come then you must get the baby to a rehabber as it will need to be fed the proper formula and will likely need many more weeks before it is old enough to live on its own.

    You can search these links on this TSB thread for rehabilitators that might be close by. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...life-Rehabbers

  8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to sdela from:

    MrsTubeDriver (09-12-2021)

  9. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Rockville, Md
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 15

    Default Re: Found baby squirrel next to dead baby squirrel

    This is good to know. Thank you. I was reading the reviews of the rehab facility closest to me and was concerned with several recent negative reviews.

    I'll contact you today! Thanks for your PM.


    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    If this baby can not be reunited with it's mother please do not take to a facility as due to covid among other factors it would be euthanized.
    I am a licensed rehabilitator close to you in Olney, I can take it in where it will have others to grow with.
    I am presently out of town at my release site but will be back around 7pm. I will private message you my phone number where you can reach me.
    it would be best to text first so I will know to answer.

  10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to sdela:

    cassgrimm (09-12-2021), MrsTubeDriver (09-12-2021), stepnstone (09-12-2021)

  11. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Rockville, Md
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 15

    Smile Re: Found baby squirrel next to dead baby squirrel

    I am attaching some pictures of the little one this morning.

    Name:  PXL_20210912_134034460.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  124.7 KBName:  PXL_20210912_133010047.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  115.3 KB

    Quote Originally Posted by sdela View Post
    Hello,

    Yesterday evening we found a baby squirrel next to it's dead sibling underneath one of our trees. It didn't have any injuries and was just lying next to it. I had no problems picking it up and we brought it inside our home where we have been giving it heat and attempting to hydrate. We are a bird family and had an extra cage and bird snuggle hammock we are using as it's temporary bed. We placed a warm bottle next to the hammock and also a heated rice buddy. The little one already has greyish hair and a furry tail and it's eyes are wide open. At one point, it climbed to and around my shoulders, which I see as a great sign. Is it safe to attempt letting climb it's tree? What do I do if it does, i.e. how do I know it will be OK? My next step would be to take it to a rehab place. I have been using a water, salt, sugar formula I found online to hydrate (1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 tablespoon sugar, 2 cups water). It only took a little bit, but I've been learning a lot from this site about how to properly give the hydration! Thanks for your insights/ recommendations

  12. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to sdela:

    HRT4SQRLS (09-12-2021), Mel1959 (09-13-2021), MrsTubeDriver (09-12-2021), stepnstone (09-12-2021), TubeDriver (09-12-2021)

  13. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Rockville, Md
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 15

    Smile Re: Found baby squirrel next to dead baby squirrel

    Update: we were unable to reunite with mommy squirrel, but now it's in good hands with Pete, Barrie, and Russel! Thank you! Please keep us posted on "Lulu's" rehabilitation and eventual release!

    Name:  PXL_20210912_162643944.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  110.8 KBName:  PXL_20210912_170239674.MP.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  113.9 KBName:  IMG-20210912-WA0005.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  127.0 KBName:  IMG-20210912-WA0006.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  84.2 KB



    Quote Originally Posted by sdela View Post
    Hello,

    Yesterday evening we found a baby squirrel next to it's dead sibling underneath one of our trees. It didn't have any injuries and was just lying next to it. I had no problems picking it up and we brought it inside our home where we have been giving it heat and attempting to hydrate. We are a bird family and had an extra cage and bird snuggle hammock we are using as it's temporary bed. We placed a warm bottle next to the hammock and also a heated rice buddy. The little one already has greyish hair and a furry tail and it's eyes are wide open. At one point, it climbed to and around my shoulders, which I see as a great sign. Is it safe to attempt letting climb it's tree? What do I do if it does, i.e. how do I know it will be OK? My next step would be to take it to a rehab place. I have been using a water, salt, sugar formula I found online to hydrate (1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 tablespoon sugar, 2 cups water). It only took a little bit, but I've been learning a lot from this site about how to properly give the hydration! Thanks for your insights/ recommendations

  14. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to sdela:

    Mel1959 (09-13-2021), MrsTubeDriver (09-12-2021), redwuff (09-12-2021), sundoesshine (09-12-2021), TubeDriver (09-12-2021)

  15. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    17,213
    Thanked: 12142

    Default Re: Found baby squirrel next to dead baby squirrel

    Thank you Sabrina for rescuing this baby.
    Little girl is feisty, has spunk but her condition is fragile. I believe she would have crashed if
    she were left on her own another day. The next 24-72 hours hopefully will be her turning point.

    Thank you Pete and Barrie for answering my call without hesitation to sustain this baby while
    I made my way back and even bring to me on my arrival. I really appreciate you stepping up
    on such a short notice which was actually, no notice.

    Thank you Jack for being the go between on messages due to my lack of phone service.

    As the saying goes "it takes a village." This "village" works and TSB still Rocks!

    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  16. 8 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

    cassgrimm (09-13-2021), Grinderhead (09-14-2021), HRT4SQRLS (09-13-2021), Mel1959 (09-13-2021), MrsTubeDriver (09-13-2021), redwuff (09-13-2021), Taz2020 (09-14-2021), TubeDriver (09-13-2021)

  17. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL.
    Posts
    9,483
    Thanked: 949

    Default Re: Found baby squirrel next to dead baby squirrel

    Lulu is a lucky little girl 🥰
    Thank you all for helping this sweet darling
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14


    The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

    I'm not poof reading any of this

  18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Charley Chuckles:

    Mel1959 (09-13-2021), MrsTubeDriver (09-13-2021), stepnstone (09-13-2021)

  19. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    17,213
    Thanked: 12142

    Default Re: Found baby squirrel next to dead baby squirrel

    Quote Originally Posted by sdela View Post
    I have been using a water, salt, sugar formula I found online to hydrate (1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 tablespoon sugar, 2 cups water).
    You were on the right track with a slight correction to your mixture...
    (1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 tablespoon sugar, *2 cups water. ~ *The correct mix should be 1 cup (8 oz) water.

    The importance of electrolytes when it comes to dehydration is simply that they are needed and the often suggestion of the use of sugar water is not going to cut it!
    Electrolytes
    are essential minerals that are vital and responsible for regulating critical bodily functions and dehydration impairs these functions due to the body being low on electrolytes. Once fully hydrated plain water or water with a tad sugar or honey for taste may help maintain fluid levels but it is no substitute for needed electrolytes on a dehydrated body.

    I feared little Lu was beginning to crash. She needed nourishment that she was not going to be able to process due to dehydration and with only taking 2-3 cc's at a time she couldn't orally consume enough hydration fluid to hydrate. Her bowel movement was water runs which only adds to the dehydration. I subqued her twice, put her on the brat formula and she is now eagerly eating at 5% and has already given me a few tiny but perfect little poops. I feel pretty confident in saying she is turning the needed corner to get her where she needs to be.

    Little Lu's first few feedings put her in a food trance doing the "guppy mouth." The only way I could get her out of it was by wiping her mouth and then she would dive back into the nipple like it was trying to get away.

    She is a little sweet heart.

    Name:  thumbnail_20210913_161626-1.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  16.5 KB Name:  thumbnail_20210913_161917-1.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  19.4 KB Name:  thumbnail_20210913_161922-1.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  19.8 KB

    Little Lu will be getting into her own forum directly....

    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


  20. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

    Grinderhead (09-14-2021), Mel1959 (09-14-2021), MrsTubeDriver (09-14-2021), redwuff (09-14-2021), TubeDriver (09-14-2021)

  21. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    eastcoast
    Posts
    4,592
    Thanked: 5319

    Default Re: Found baby squirrel next to dead baby squirrel

    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post


    [/COLOR][/U] The importance of electrolytes when it comes to dehydration is simply that they are needed and the often suggestion of the use of sugar water is not going to cut it!
    Electrolytes
    are essential minerals that are vital and responsible for regulating critical bodily functions and dehydration impairs these functions due to the body being low on electrolytes. Once fully hydrated plain water or water with a tad sugar or honey for taste may help maintain fluid levels but it is no substitute for needed electrolytes on a dehydrated body.


    Thank you Russel. The lack of electrolytes is what killed Karen Carpenter for those of you old enough to remember her. The minerals in our rehydration formula is the salt. Taking the salt out is is basically making a formula for a constipation formula. Sugar draws water into the large intestine causing contractions to expel feces. That is the opposite of what a dehydrated baby needs.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

  22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

    stepnstone (09-14-2021)

  23. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    17,213
    Thanked: 12142

    Default Re: Found baby squirrel next to dead baby squirrel

    Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Thank you Russel. The lack of electrolytes is what killed Karen Carpenter for those of you old enough to remember her. The minerals in our rehydration formula is the salt. Taking the salt out is is basically making a formula for a constipation formula. Sugar draws water into the large intestine causing contractions to expel feces. That is the opposite of what a dehydrated baby needs.
    Exactly, and I was obviously correct about her starting to crash. Having the water runs cost her grams instead of allowing needed weight gain.
    Even though
    after being subbed she eagerly ate well through all feedings yesterday, I weighed her first thing this morning and she is still 5 grams
    below the 122 grams she came in at.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •