Thread: Possible pneumonia

Question Possible pneumonia

I have a 69 gm, possibly 5 week old fox squirrel who I picked up from a neighbor yesterday after it was calling for its mother for several hours in their back yard. They had bathed him to remove fleas and didn’t have him warm enough. I’ve been warming him and gave a few drops of pedialyte every four hours. He has pooped but not urinated (at least not while I’ve but definitely is less dehydrated than yesterday. However, this afternoon I’m hearing some clicking. Not really from his chest, more from his nose. Also not constantly. He seems fairly lethargic though so I’m wondering if I should be searching for antibiotics…I have some 500 mg ciproflaxacn.

Default Re: Possible pneumonia

Has this baby had any formula yet? If not, that could account for the lethargy. The clicking from aspiration pneumonia is from the chest - the clicking you hear with A/P is congestion in the lungs.

However, I don't want you to need this and not have it so I will send you appropriate dosing by PM - you will have it if you need it. The cipro you have is the fastest cure for A/P so you can at least stop hunting - you have just what you would need.

You will need a 1cc syringe (or smaller) for this. Make sure it has nice clear markings on it - if you use them for feeding the markings on the syringe barrel rub off quickly. That is what you should also be using to feed the baby.

Will address the antibiotics in a moment. Let me get a bit more information. If the baby is still dehydrated it will be lethargic. What kind of formula are you feeding? What are you feeding with?

You have a good antibiotic if your baby has AP. I can dose for you if needed.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Will address the antibiotics in a moment. Let me get a bit more information. If the baby is still dehydrated it will be lethargic. What kind of formula are you feeding? What are you feeding with?

You have a good antibiotic if your baby has AP. I can dose for you if needed.
    Redwuff I just sent dosing by PM so you don't have to.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

redwuff (09-18-2021)