Thread: Scheduled feeding issues

Default Scheduled feeding issues

Ok. Some have seen my other posts about this lil guy I have (Chip is what my son named him) I have had him for 8 days. Assuming around 5 weeks. Eyes are starting to open slightly today. Was very dehydrated. Eating good now. On fv 20/50 formula. 1ml syringe. I was feeding every 2 to 3 hours because he was only eating 3ml a feeding. (He weighs roughly 85 grams) Today I did 4 hour intervals in-between feedings as suggested for his age and weight. (Apart from 1 time. He woke up and was calling out about 2 hours after feeding and fed him then too) but now he's only wanting to eat 2ml a feeding. I understand he should be drinking 4 to almost 6 mL each feeding every 4 hours. But I can't get him to eat more than 3ml. And now I'm concerned about this 2ml he's wanting to eat. He is still active. Still pooping and peeing. Still has an appetite.. so im not thinking AP. If he keeps eating 2ml a feeding during this 4 hour interval should I shorten it again to every 3 hours? I've decided after last night to skip night feedings. (Was doing 4 hour night feeding because of how malnourished he was when I got him)

Default Re: Scheduled feeding issues

Try adding a hydration feeding in between the 4 hr spacing. At this age he should not need a feeding at night.

I agree with Mel on additional fluids.

What does his stomach feel like after feeding 2-3ml?

I know you said the formula is warm, but is it warm enough? What exact temperature is the formula when feeding? What exact temperature is it when he begins to refuse? For instance, I've got one right now that is super picky with temps. He won't tolerate formula under 103 degrees.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cassgrimm from:

Tuff (09-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by cassgrimm View Post

I know you said the formula is warm, but is it warm enough? What exact temperature is the formula when feeding? What exact temperature is it when he begins to refuse? For instance, I've got one right now that is super picky with temps. He won't tolerate formula under 103 degrees.
    The temps matter to them they are like thermometers…it’s one of their super powers. I have one right now that her formula has to hot 🥵 when she eats or she’s not taking it. The boy I have don’t care really as long as it isn’t cold. So try bumping it up in warmth and if he doesn’t take it then bump it down. Tuff wouldn’t take his formula unless it was room temperature. Also is it a new bag of 20/50, do you keep it in the freezer. The powdered milk will go rancid if left out. Not all baby squirrels are the same I promise. They are all different just like people.

Quote Originally Posted by cassgrimm View Post

I have a small bowl with an automated warmer on it. Keeps the milk at whatever temp I have the bowl on. It varies between 99 and 100. Since I made this post he drinking 4.5 ml every 4 hours now. And no night feeding. =) we got over the hump

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Ashleyw:

cassgrimm (09-12-2021), Tuff (09-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
    The temps matter to them they are like thermometers…it’s one of their super powers. I have one right now that her formula has to hot 🥵 when she eats or she’s not taking it. The boy I have don’t care really as long as it isn’t cold. So try bumping it up in warmth and if he doesn’t take it then bump it down. Tuff wouldn’t take his formula unless it was room temperature. Also is it a new bag of 20/50, do you keep it in the freezer. The powdered milk will go rancid if left out. Not all baby squirrels are the same I promise. They are all different just like people.
    This is my 4th squirrel (youngest one I've had though) but probably my 200th little critter I've hand reared. 😅 they definitely are all super different in preferences.. This one is not at all picky. But his milk stays 99-100 whole feeding. I only make 6ml worth of formula each time so I never leave it out. I dump what he doesn't finish. He is definitely eating 4.5 -5 ml every 4 hours now. We got over the hump. All my formula stays in freezer. I use a tiny tupperware that maybe holds 1/2 cup that I fill with powder. Rest goes in freezer. That way I'm not constantly getting in and out of the freezer. I do put the tiny tub in fridge between meals.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Try adding a hydration feeding in between the 4 hr spacing. At this age he should not need a feeding at night.
    I do at least 2 every day. =) he came to me super dehydrated (one of the worst I've seen ) so I'm always worried about that. I think he was just so use to his old schedule he struggled a bit cuz after I made this post he's been eating 4.5-5 ml every 4 hours (no night feeding.) And his eyes are beginning to open =) I also feel like he is starting to actually get meat on his bones and his skin condition he had is completely healed =) thanks everyone for your help!

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ashleyw from:

Tuff (09-13-2021)