Thread: owl in nest box?

Default owl in nest box?

I noticed an unusual looking head sticking out of a squirrel's nest box this morning. Is it a concern that an owl is taking up residence in my squirrel's nest box? Thanks

Name:  IMG_4626.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  95.5 KB

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to MapleRidgesquirrel from:

MyBushyTail (12-28-2021)

Default Re: owl in nest box?

If it is a Screech owl, which I think it is, I would not be concerned. I have had Screech owls take over a couple of my nest boxes and they were super friendly with me and never bothered my squirrels, even when they had babies. Screech owls are tiny owls, about the size of a Mourning Dove.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to MyBushyTail from:

MapleRidgesquirrel (12-27-2021)

It's very cute. The squirrel wasn't happy that it took over her nest box though. She came back twice today and looked inside to see if it was gone..

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to MapleRidgesquirrel:

MyBushyTail (12-28-2021), sundoesshine (12-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by MapleRidgesquirrel View Post
    It's very cute. The squirrel wasn't happy that it took over her nest box though. She came back twice today and looked inside to see if it was gone..
    I have seen the resident squirrels chase the Screech owl out of the nest box a few times. Not sure where the Screech owl ended up moving to, as it was no longer in the nest box after being evicted. I did miss it as it was so nice to have living in my yard and so cool to observe its behaviour.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to MyBushyTail:

Chirps (12-28-2021), MapleRidgesquirrel (12-28-2021), TubeDriver (12-28-2021)

I agree it is nice to have in my yard and observe. It was here all day again today. It seems tame.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to MapleRidgesquirrel from:

MyBushyTail (12-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by MapleRidgesquirrel View Post
    I agree it is nice to have in my yard and observe. It was here all day again today. It seems tame.
    Curious have you seen the the owl come out of the box and if so were you able to see the size of the owl to know whether or not if it is a Screech owl?

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to MyBushyTail from:

MapleRidgesquirrel (12-31-2021)

The owl is still occupying the nest box. It seems to come out and sit on the limb below the nest box right before it gets dark every night. It just sits inside and watches us when we are outside. From what I have researched I believe it is an eastern screech owl red or brown morph. It is very cool to have living in our yard. Unfortunately I have not seen many flying squirrels lately at night. I hope they know to stay away for now. Thanks for asking.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to MapleRidgesquirrel from:

TubeDriver (12-31-2021)