Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Thread: SKITTLES' THREAD

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 8

    Question SKITTLES' THREAD

    This gives me a little hope. I am a total newbie raising a now 1.5-2 week old EGS. I am a little freaked about the formula. He didnít seem dehydrated when found but I gave him a few rounds of homemade pedialyte before I started on Esbiliac puppy with probiotic (what was recommended on a website because itís easy to find and then switched him to FV 32/40 a few days later when I got it in (as they suggested).

    He seems healthy (active, pees every feeding, poops almost every feeding and on his own sometimes, has black fuzz on his head, back and tail and a white chin now &#128151 except heís not gaining hardly any weight! I read about HWC and added a very small amount because I wasnít sure of ratio then I read FV 32/40 is bad so I switched back to the Esbiliac yesterday and added a tiny bit of cream. I think itís Henryís that has the healthy and unhealthy babies pics at each age and heís not as emaciated as that poor little fellow at 2 weeks but heís uncomfortably close and has dry skin now too. There is no way heíll be as huge as the three week old any time soon! I ordered a new scale as mine shows a lot of fluctuation so maybe itís the scale? He was 14 g when we found him and somewhere between 17 and 19 g now. Please help!! Here he is now and the day we found him. Whatís a normal newborn weight? Name:  6A0149D1-5529-4A97-B178-D9D19D506995.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  84.5 KBName:  D3B54E58-DD9D-4757-B976-66310A0AFD7C.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  76.4 KB

    Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Ok, I admin a group with KCassidy and another rehanber on FB. We started two years ago about the time the sh1t hit the fan. We currently have 13,000 members and we are recommending a formula blend of FV 32/40, Zoologic 33/40 or Esbilac Puppy with heavy cream. However, we do have a number of members who have been using Esbilac either alone or with HWC successfully. If I'm not mistaken, Island Rehabber uses Esbilac without issues.
    I would not go crazy hitting the panic button until we see some xrays of these babies to be sure it is mbd.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,350
    Thanked: 12575

    Default Re: ESBILAC PROBLEM AGAIN???

    Skittles. I’m glad you found us. Your baby is very compromised. I’m afraid it will start failing soon.
    He is very dehydrated. Can you give us the ingredients in the homemade hydration fluid? I think you need to buy some Pedialyte as it has more minerals than the homemade type.

    I think you are wise to get him off of the FV32:40. Based on problems from the past, it is nearly impossible for a pinkie to digest FV32:40. I would go ahead and order the FoxValley 20:50 as you will need it in the future but I’m not sure now is the time. Continue with the Esbilac and heavy cream until someone with more experience sounds in. My experience with pinkies is limited and due to the serious condition of your baby I would rather someone else make formula recommendations. They might recommend goat milk, cream and yogurt. Pinkies can digest that easily. Actually, pinkies have problems digesting most commercial formulas. It is clear that your baby is not digesting anything based on the lack of weight gain.



    Can an admin move Skittles post to a new thread in the Emergency section.?



    For the rehabbers. Why did Henry’s eliminate the salt in the homemade hydration? They also say to dilute Pedialyte 50:50 with water due to the high salt content. What brought about these changes? I must have missed something and need to be brought up to date. What would you recommend for this baby?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL.
    Posts
    9,525
    Thanked: 1001

    Default Re: ESBILAC PROBLEM AGAIN???

    I never saw the homemade pedialyte change🤷
    I've always thought GMF is used for pinkies, however I have only had 2 pinkies and I did feed Esbilac, but that was way before issues.

    Skittles, I'm praying for that baby
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14


    The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

    I'm not poof reading any of this

  4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

    HRT4SQRLS (09-16-2021)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    eastcoast
    Posts
    4,765
    Thanked: 5446

    Default Re: ESBILAC PROBLEM AGAIN???

    Hey Skittles,

    HRT is right on, your baby looks very dehydrated and is not able to utilize the nutrition you are feeding. It is not too late to change and pull him through. When you first got him, he was a fat healthy baby from Momma.

    I use the goat milk formula for pinkies. It is 3 parts goat milk, 1.5 part heavy whipping cream and 1 part full fat yogurt. I do get fresh goat milk that is sold in a health food store. Then I freeze the goat milk in much smaller quantities like in an ice cube tray.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

  6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

    HRT4SQRLS (09-16-2021), Skittles (09-16-2021)

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    eastcoast
    Posts
    4,765
    Thanked: 5446

    Default Re: ESBILAC PROBLEM AGAIN???

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
    Do you grind the blocks into a powder? Then how much do you add to formula?
    Hey Tuff,

    I put the Mazuri block in the cage with them. They will chew it a bit, but ar this age they have not gotten molars in. They will come in at 7 weeks. At 7 wks I cut back from 5 formula feedings to 4. They really start eating block vigorously then.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

  8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

    Tuff (09-16-2021)

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    eastcoast
    Posts
    4,765
    Thanked: 5446

    Default Re: ESBILAC PROBLEM AGAIN???

    Skittles, please stop using 32/40 immediately. Start with rehydrating and get ingredients for GMF. This is full fat goat milk (fresh bought at store,is best) heavy whipping creme, and full fat yogurt.

    GMF 3 parts goat milk, 1.5 heavy whipping cream, 1 part full fat yogurt,

    Can you get him to take hydration fluid? He looks a bit bloated. Has he pooped recently?

    Get some infant gas x and give him two drops. If not pooping get him pooping.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

  10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

    Skittles (09-22-2021)

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 8

    Default Re: ESBILAC PROBLEM AGAIN???

    I am so grateful to both of you who responded, and extremely grateful to have found this forum! I have sourced some goats milk and Iím on my way to buy it now along with Pedialyte. Should I do exclusively Pedialyte for a few feedings? Or what would you recommend?

    Thank you!!

    Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Hey Skittles,

    HRT is right on, your baby looks very dehydrated and is not able to utilize the nutrition you are feeding. It is not too late to change and pull him through. When you first got him, he was a fat healthy baby from Momma.

    I use the goat milk formula for pinkies. It is 3 parts goat milk, 1.5 part heavy whipping cream and 1 part full fat yogurt. I do get fresh goat milk that is sold in a health food store. Then I freeze the goat milk in much smaller quantities like in an ice cube tray.

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,350
    Thanked: 12575

    Default Re: ESBILAC PROBLEM AGAIN???

    Quote Originally Posted by Skittles View Post
    I am so grateful to both of you who responded, and extremely grateful to have found this forum! I have sourced some goats milk and Iím on my way to buy it now along with Pedialyte. Should I do exclusively Pedialyte for a few feedings? Or what would you recommend?

    Thank you!!

    Grocery list:

    Goat milk (fresh is best). Publix has it in the milk refrigerators. Meyenburg is the brand. Itís in a white and purple container. Look up on the top shelves. You have to look for it as itís not at eye view.

    Heavy cream

    Full fat yogurtÖ I buy StoneyField YoBaby Vanilla. StoneyField also has Vanilla Full Fat in a larger container that is very good. I donít like the weird flavors of YoBaby that you are forced to buy in multipacks.

    GasX for bloat. The generic is simethicone.

    Pedialyte.

  13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

    redwuff (09-16-2021), Skittles (09-22-2021)

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 8

    Default Re: ESBILAC PROBLEM AGAIN???

    He poops frequently. At and/or between every feeding. I did buy some gas drops previously in case so I can give him a few. That photo was immediately after he ate also. His belly gets smaller after each meal then plumps up after.

    I am returning home with fresh goats milk now and organic grape pedielyte. They didnít have unflavored. Should I do only rehydration at this point, or try to get him to take a little in between feedings? I am eager to get him on formula he can properly digest but I know the rehydration is super important as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Skittles, please stop using 32/40 immediately. Start with rehydrating and get ingredients for GMF. This is full fat goat milk (fresh bought at store,is best) heavy whipping creme, and full fat yogurt.

    GMF 3 parts goat milk, 1.5 heavy whipping cream, 1 part full fat yogurt,

    Can you get him to take hydration fluid? He looks a bit bloated. Has he pooped recently?

    Get some infant gas x and give him two drops. If not pooping get him pooping.

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,350
    Thanked: 12575

    Default Re: ESBILAC PROBLEM AGAIN???

    Yes, I would hydrate with Pedialyte several times before giving the GM formula.

  16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

    redwuff (09-16-2021), Skittles (09-22-2021)

  17. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,350
    Thanked: 12575

    Default Re: ESBILAC PROBLEM AGAIN???

    Be sure to warm the Pedialyte.

  18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

    Skittles (09-22-2021)

  19. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    eastcoast
    Posts
    4,765
    Thanked: 5446

    Default Re: ESBILAC PROBLEM AGAIN???

    After two hydrationís, start with 50%water 50% GMF for one feeding. Next feeding go to 75% GMF 25% water. Stay there two feedings. Go to full strength. Feed @5% body weight every 4 hours.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

  20. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

    HRT4SQRLS (09-16-2021), Mel1959 (09-16-2021), Skittles (09-18-2021)

  21. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 8

    Default Re: ESBILAC PROBLEM AGAIN???

    He took the pedialyte extremely well, so too the gas drops. Thank you to everyone for your quick and thoughtful responses. I am glad I listened to my intuition that something wasn’t right and found you all. (My DH thought I was being paranoid!) I am prayerfully optimistic now that we can turn it around for this precious little guy. He certainly is spunky so I think he’s a fighter.

    Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Skittles, please stop using 32/40 immediately. Start with rehydrating and get ingredients for GMF. This is full fat goat milk (fresh bought at store,is best) heavy whipping creme, and full fat yogurt.

    GMF 3 parts goat milk, 1.5 heavy whipping cream, 1 part full fat yogurt,

    Can you get him to take hydration fluid? He looks a bit bloated. Has he pooped recently?

    Get some infant gas x and give him two drops. If not pooping get him pooping.

  22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Skittles:

    HRT4SQRLS (09-16-2021), redwuff (09-16-2021)

  23. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,350
    Thanked: 12575

    Default Re: ESBILAC PROBLEM AGAIN???

    He is definitely a fighter. Is his name Skittles?

    Your intuition was right on target. He wouldnít survive much longer the direction he was headed.
    When on the proper formula, they should gain weight every day.
    He reminded me of the scalded milk babies we have seen. There is a website that recommends that. It has killed more babies than you can imagine. It really does Ďscaldí me when I see it being promoted.

    Iím pulling for Skittles.

    When an admin comes on that can manipulate the thread, we want them to pull this information to a dedicated thread for Skittles. They will advise you where to find the new thread. It will contain all of this information.

  24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

    redwuff (09-16-2021), Skittles (09-18-2021)

  25. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,350
    Thanked: 12575

    Default Re: ESBILAC PROBLEM AGAIN???

    You might want to go ahead and order the FoxValley 20:50 for later use. It is back ordered on some sites so you might need to look around. As of a day ago they had it at foxvalleynutrition.com .

    You wonít need it now but when things settle out and heís a little older you will need to start adding the FoxValley to transition to that. The goat milk formula is an excellent formula for the pinkies and compromised ones but he canít stay on that. Itís not nutritionally complete.

    Iím sorry that youíve had to spend so much money on formulas you canít use. FoxValley 20:50 is great for the older babies and no one I know has had issues with it. As for the FV32:40, everyone that uses it alone or with pinkies has problems. It is now pretty much accepted that it is deadly to pinkies.

  26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

    Skittles (09-18-2021)

  27. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL.
    Posts
    9,525
    Thanked: 1001

    Default Re: ESBILAC PROBLEM AGAIN???

    Thank you for doing all this for Skittles👍
    I'm praying hard he gets on the right track now🙏

    HRT and redwuff
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14


    The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

    I'm not poof reading any of this

  28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Charley Chuckles:

    redwuff (09-17-2021), Skittles (09-18-2021)

  29. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 8

    Default Re: ESBILAC PROBLEM AGAIN???

    Yes he is Skittles because heís tiny and so sweet. Heís already looking less wrinkled and feels plumper. Heís even more active too. Iím pleased with the progress of just one day, but heís got a ways to go still. Thanks again.

    Name:  35E34141-2FC2-4A15-B7D7-FC026888409E.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  90.7 KB


    Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    He is definitely a fighter. Is his name Skittles?

    Your intuition was right on target. He wouldnít survive much longer the direction he was headed.
    When on the proper formula, they should gain weight every day.
    He reminded me of the scalded milk babies we have seen. There is a website that recommends that. It has killed more babies than you can imagine. It really does Ďscaldí me when I see it being promoted.

    Iím pulling for Skittles.

    When an admin comes on that can manipulate the thread, we want them to pull this information to a dedicated thread for Skittles. They will advise you where to find the new thread. It will contain all of this information.

  30. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Daytona Beach, FL.
    Posts
    9,525
    Thanked: 1001

    Default Re: ESBILAC PROBLEM AGAIN???

    Glad to see his improvement
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14


    The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

    I'm not poof reading any of this

  31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

    Skittles (09-22-2021)

  32. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    eastcoast
    Posts
    4,765
    Thanked: 5446

    Default Re: ESBILAC PROBLEM AGAIN???

    Glad to hear that your baby is improving. Do you weigh every day? I usually do before I do the first feeding.

    Are you feeding at 5% ? So if he weighs 70 g, he would eat 3.5 ml at each feeding. I would feed 5-6 x day if you can. I also would feed a nighttime feeding until his condition improves and he is out of the woods. You have already proven that you are dedicated to this little man. He came in as a 5-6 day old pinky and you got him this far. Not too many people can do that. Good job Momma!

    If you can, keep us posted on him as much as you can. It helps us head off problems quicker.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

  33. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

    HRT4SQRLS (09-17-2021), Skittles (09-18-2021)

  34. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 8

    Default Admin please move my posts!

    Can an admin please move my posts to its own thread under Emergency? I'm not sure how to do this but I've seen several senior members suggest this and I agree. I'd like to update the thread to keep everyone apprised of Skittles changes but have been waiting to see where it will ultimately land. Thank you!!



    Quote Originally Posted by Skittles View Post
    This gives me a little hope. I am a total newbie raising a now 1.5-2 week old EGS. I am a little freaked about the formula. He didnít seem dehydrated when found but I gave him a few rounds of homemade pedialyte before I started on Esbiliac puppy with probiotic (what was recommended on a website because itís easy to find and then switched him to FV 32/40 a few days later when I got it in (as they suggested).

    He seems healthy (active, pees every feeding, poops almost every feeding and on his own sometimes, has black fuzz on his head, back and tail and a white chin now &#128151 except heís not gaining hardly any weight! I read about HWC and added a very small amount because I wasnít sure of ratio then I read FV 32/40 is bad so I switched back to the Esbiliac yesterday and added a tiny bit of cream. I think itís Henryís that has the healthy and unhealthy babies pics at each age and heís not as emaciated as that poor little fellow at 2 weeks but heís uncomfortably close and has dry skin now too. There is no way heíll be as huge as the three week old any time soon! I ordered a new scale as mine shows a lot of fluctuation so maybe itís the scale? He was 14 g when we found him and somewhere between 17 and 19 g now. Please help!! Here he is now and the day we found him. Whatís a normal newborn weight? Name:  6A0149D1-5529-4A97-B178-D9D19D506995.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  84.5 KBName:  D3B54E58-DD9D-4757-B976-66310A0AFD7C.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  76.4 KB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •