Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new rescue baby squirrel. maybe 3/4 weeks old. diarrhea. eyes opened early.

Default new rescue baby squirrel. maybe 3/4 weeks old. diarrhea. eyes opened early.

Hi, I'm not new to rescuing squirrels but I am a bit rusty. I was given a orphaned baby squirrel and it's eyes were still tightly closed. furry, tail still slim. It was a little underweight and possibly dehydrated. I started him on pedialyte ever couple hours for the first day. he peed after the 3 time but has not pooped. this is day 3 and he is not puppy milk until my Fox Valley comes. He's eating pretty well but still has not produced actual poop. I noticed today that he was messy will was appeared to be diarrhea. I cleaned him up and am keeping him hydrated with pedialyte in his milk. His eyes also opened yesterday. i think it's way too early for that. Is that a result of trauma? my past babies never had that issue. I think i just need reassurance that I'm doing everything I can at this point.
    I'll be weighing him this evening to see if he's gaining. But right now he's just under 50 grams.
    thank you!!!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to margaret! from:

CritterMom (09-07-2021)

Default Re: new rescue baby squirrel. maybe 3/4 weeks old. diarrhea. eyes opened early.

What puppy milk - what brand exactly and is it powder or liquid?

Please do NOT mix pedialyte with the formula. If you feel he needs additional hydration, use the pedialyte in between the feedings, and not longer than 24 hours. If still dehydrated, use plain water or water with a pinch of sugar or honey.

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

gunpackingrandma (09-13-2021), Rock Monkey (09-07-2021), Tuff (09-07-2021)

Default Re: new rescue baby squirrel. maybe 3/4 weeks old. diarrhea. eyes opened early.

Quote Originally Posted by margaret! View Post
    Hi, I'm not new to rescuing squirrels but I am a bit rusty. I was given a orphaned baby squirrel and it's eyes were still tightly closed. furry, tail still slim. It was a little underweight and possibly dehydrated. I started him on pedialyte ever couple hours for the first day. he peed after the 3 time but has not pooped. this is day 3 and he is not puppy milk until my Fox Valley comes. He's eating pretty well but still has not produced actual poop. I noticed today that he was messy will was appeared to be diarrhea. I cleaned him up and am keeping him hydrated with pedialyte in his milk. His eyes also opened yesterday. i think it's way too early for that. Is that a result of trauma? my past babies never had that issue. I think i just need reassurance that I'm doing everything I can at this point.
    I'll be weighing him this evening to see if he's gaining. But right now he's just under 50 grams.
    thank you!!!
    So first off if I read this right you are mixing pedialyte with the formula. That is not good. Mix formula with only water 2:1 ratio. What puppy formula do you have him on? How much are you feeding him? 5-7% of body weight is recommended. Also do not rehydrate with pedialyte for more than 24 hours. You use hydration fluid if it is needed after that.
    1 tsp of salt
    1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar
    8 oz of water (1 cup)

If it was me I would stop the hydration. Feed formula as long as it is esbilac or FV. Esbilac used of only dated 2021-2022 expiration dates and make sure it is the regular powdered puppy formula. To much hydration could cause the poops. To much food can cause the poops. Best method is slow and easy. I ha e two right now that are the same way just older. I hope I answered you questions.

ok ok. This is good info. It is Esbilac liquid puppy milk. I will stop rehydration fluids and just use the the formula. I only mixed it on day 2. Today has just been formula only. I will go slow and steady. He is always hungry. tries to nurse on everything. I wish that I had the fox valley on hand. I just tossed it last spring. ugh!.
    Anything i should worry about with early eyes open?

The liquid esbilac is also a problem - causes diarrhea. Not wild about the esbilac but you need to use the powdered stuff. They are unfortunately NOT the same thing.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

cassgrimm (09-08-2021), Rock Monkey (09-07-2021)

ugh! thank you!

He is always hungry. tries to nurse on everything.
    Hopefully you are using a one cc syringe, this will help minimize the risk of aspiration, especially with a very hungry squirrel.

How much are feeding him at each session and how often do you feed him everyday?

5% of body weight would amount to 2.5 ml of formula at each session for a 50 g squirrel.

At three to four weeks the squirrel should be fed every 3 to 4 hours.

Can you post a photo to assist with an overall health assessment?

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Tuff (09-09-2021)

Anything i should worry about with early eyes open?

Though I wouldn't call it common exactly, I've had eyes open as early as 3.5 weeks. Nothing to worry about - some are just early bloomers!

Also - and this is just my two cents - I don't recommend hydrating with any salted fluids for more than 24 hours. The salt/sugar/water mixture is considered a homemade Pedialyte and, thus, should be discontinued after the aforementioned timeframe. At the 24 hour mark, I switch my little ones to regular tap water (a drop or two of molasses, honey, or Karo syrup for flavor can help entice them into taking it). A bit of apple juice works well, too, if you're in a pinch. Definitely keep an eye on the hydration levels until the stool has firmed up.

As others have said, it is never recommended to mix hydration fluids with formula. I like to sandwich hydration sessions at the halfway point between feedings. For example, if your baby is eating every three hours, I would hydrate 1.5 hours after feeding.

13. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cassgrimm:

margaret! (09-08-2021), Mel1959 (09-08-2021), Rock Monkey (09-08-2021), Tuff (09-08-2021)

Thank you! He is taking about 3cc per feeding. Eating every 4 hours. With the last one being 11pm then the next 6:30am. He is sooooo hungry between feedings. Tries to nurse on everything. He appears to be peeing on his own too. Although I’m still assisting after every feeding. I’ll be weighing his this evening. I haven’t used any rehydration fluids since day one with the exception of one time yesterday morning. I quickly discontinued one I was told not to any more. Here is a pic

Name:  FF7F912A-01B2-4935-B286-D914BFDACB96.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  95.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to margaret! from:

Rock Monkey (09-08-2021)

Thank you! He is taking about 3cc per feeding. Eating every 4 hours. With the last one being 11pm then the next 6:30am. He is sooooo hungry between feedings. Tries to nurse on everything. He appears to be peeing on his own too. Although I’m still assisting after every feeding. I’ll be weighing his this evening. I haven’t used any rehydration fluids since day one with the exception of one time yesterday morning. I quickly discontinued one I was told not to any more. Here is a pic

Name:  FF7F912A-01B2-4935-B286-D914BFDACB96.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  95.0 KB
    Gosh what a cute little nugget…does he have too and bottom teeth? His tail looks like 5 weeks to me, just can’t really remember. At 6-7 weeks they do the S thing with the tail. Tail gets bushier from there. Hair on the belly or no?

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tuff from:

margaret! (09-09-2021)

Such a precious boy! 😍

He looks like 4 weeks to me, however, knowing more about what his teeth look like would be helpful. He is quite small, though. Then again, I also just really like a chonky baby... 😅

If it were me, I'd get my hands on some FV Ultraboost to help him along. Adding some heavy cream to his formula will help until the ultraboost comes in if you're wanting to fatten him up some.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cassgrimm from:

margaret! (09-09-2021)

Thank you! He is taking about 3cc per feeding. Eating every 4 hours. With the last one being 11pm then the next 6:30am. He is sooooo hungry between feedings. Tries to nurse on everything.
    Since he is so hungry and on the small side you might try feeding him every 3 hours to get him caught up, rather than every 4 hours.

Here is a video about how to test for dehydration. If the squirrel is dehydrated they won't be able to fully process the formula being given.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjPM...relsandmorellc

Is the squirrel still experiencing diarrhea?

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

cassgrimm (09-08-2021), margaret! (09-09-2021)

He is still experiencing diarrhea ☹️. He must be closer to 5 weeks old. He’s acting more like one. Very silly and particular. He does have his bottom teeth. He will test my nail with them when rooting around for milk. I’ve got him on FV 32/40 right now. He’s taking 3cc every 3 hours with a stretch at night. When he does attempt a bm while I’m helping him urinate it’s yellow and just a tiny bit foamy. Like gas. But not solid at all. Ugh. I’m hoping now that he’s on the FV and off puppy milk it will help. He’s does have a light fur on his belly. I think he’s pretty runty. But such a good disposition. ❤️

He is still experiencing diarrhea ☹️. He must be closer to 5 weeks old. He’s acting more like one. Very silly and particular. He does have his bottom teeth. He will test my nail with them when rooting around for milk. I’ve got him on FV 32/40 right now. He’s taking 3cc every 3 hours with a stretch at night. When he does attempt a bm while I’m helping him urinate it’s yellow and just a tiny bit foamy. Like gas. But not solid at all. Ugh. I’m hoping now that he’s on the FV and off puppy milk it will help. He’s does have a light fur on his belly. I think he’s pretty runty. But such a good disposition. ❤️
    I would switch him to FV 20/50 sooner than later. There have been digestive issues in the recent past with 32/40. Not to mention, he's certainly old enough for the 20/50 and would definitely benefit from the higher fat content.

How are his fluid levels doing?

Has anyone had success with Dia-Stat? Curious to know if TSB recommends. I've never used it myself, but it is a FV product and, despite the 32/40 debacle, FV is my safe space.

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cassgrimm from:

margaret! (09-09-2021)

He is still experiencing diarrhea ☹️.

He’s taking 3cc every 3 hours with a stretch at night.
    The digestion can take time to improve when formula is changed.

You might also go to grocery store and get some plain, whole milk Greek yogurt. The probiotics should help settle his digestion. I have found Cabot's plain, whole milk Greek yogurt to be well received. It has added cream and is very rich, lots of calories and fat per serving. If it doesn't draw interest by itself you could mix in a little no sugar added fruit baby food. Cabot's can be found at Walmart, among other places. (Others have used Fage Total 5%, but I haven't used this one myself.) The Cabot's has 230 calories per 3/4 of a cup, quite rich, which is precisely what we want.

Take out some on a spoon, then draw it up in a syringe then heat the syringe to body temperature with a brief dip in a cup of warm water.

What were the results of the skin turgor test for dehydration?
    Last edited by Rock Monkey; 09-09-2021 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Added sentences

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

margaret! (09-09-2021)

I will give the yogurt a try. He had an almost, almost, normal poop this morning. His rear is a little irritated from pee and the diarrhea. I’ve kept him clean but it between feedings that he was getting messy. I did the dehydration test and he failed miserably. So if I’m not suppose to use Pedialyte anymore for hydration, what should I use? I gathered I should do it between feedings rather than interfering with his meals. Seeing as he is needing the calories too. His spirit are high so he has that going for him.

I will give the yogurt a try. He had an almost, almost, normal poop this morning. His rear is a little irritated from pee and the diarrhea. I’ve kept him clean but it between feedings that he was getting messy. I did the dehydration test and he failed miserably. So if I’m not suppose to use Pedialyte anymore for hydration, what should I use? I gathered I should do it between feedings rather than interfering with his meals. Seeing as he is needing the calories too. His spirit are high so he has that going for him.

How many seconds did it take for his skin to settle back down?

Please start the little one on regular tap water immediately (a drop or two of molasses, honey, or Karo syrup for flavor can help entice them into taking it). A bit of apple juice works well, too, if you're in a pinch. If he moderately failed the hydration test I'd say it's a safe bet to offer him 10% of his weight in fluids, split up between feedings.

Example: If he weighs 50g and you feed four times a day you would offer him 5cc/ml plain or slightly sweetened water at a rate of 1.25cc/ml after each feeding. You would do this halfway between each feeding. For example, if you're feeding every four hours, you would give him his fluids 2 hours after each feeding.

Check his hydration levels with every interaction. When his hydration levels begin to return to normal you can decrease the total fluid amount from 10% to 5% until the little one is completely and sufficiently hydrated again. This is usually about a two to three day process with dehydration.

Edit: Just in case I need to say this: If he does not want the water - tough. Get the fluids into him even if you have to do this drop by single drop. Many dehydrated little ones will take the water easily enough, but some can be stubborn. Get it done, but do not put another drop into his mouth until the previous drop has been swallowed.

30. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cassgrimm:

margaret! (09-09-2021), Mel1959 (09-09-2021)

He’s still kick’n! He’s up to 65g! So he’s gaining and that’s good. I’ve been giving him about 1.5cc of water with a bit of honey about 4 times a day. He takes it well, with just a little attitude. He’s taking his FV ever 3 hours. Switching him to 20/50 over the next 24 hours. His poop is still the consistency of toothpaste at best. Yellow. His hydration test is hovering at about 2 seconds though ☹️. Any pointers for how to get that better? Or will it just take more time?
    Thank you!

A 1-2 second turgor count is still considered moderate dehydration. Please continue hydrating and remember to adjust the amounts with daily weighing. He is losing fluids because of the loose stool so please keep hydrating until the turgor improves.

If my memory serves me, this little one will be on his 3rd formula transition in the past 4-5 days (including your current transition to 20/50)? That's quite a lot on his little system. Have you added yogurt to help out his gut with probiotic intake?

Please refresh my memory: How much and how often are you feeding? How many total feedings per day? How long does he go between feedings at night?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast