Thread: Baby Found after Hurricane Ida

Default Baby Found after Hurricane Ida

Hello, we have been rehabbing a baby squrril since Sept 2.. We called our vet and they recommended a powered supplemet
    Kitten Replacment Milk PetAg.. We started the baby on pedialite then to the formula, I scope powered to One scope pedilite and one scope heavey cream, As per vets instructions. The Baby has been doing very well feeding, though you must have much patiance, she seems to be peeing and pooing quite good as well after feeding with simulation.. Today.. during her first feeding both eyes were still closed, right when she began to lick the milk a bubble of what looked like formula came out of one eye.. I immdiatly stopped the feeding ,cleaned it up, gave it a few, and she did not to be very bothered by it, and wanted to continue to feed.. Now during her second feeding, both eyes are open but one is milky, the one that had the bubble of fourmula come out of it this morning, is very coudy, the other is very clear.
    Otherwise she seems to be fine,
    I have attached some phoyots taken today, and would much apperciate any advice or instructions that will help her to become strong and eventually put back to the wild where she was found..

Well I would love to share pics here but I can not figure out hw to copy from a URL...lol.> I will keep trying tough

Default Re: Baby Found after Hurricane Ida

I believe I have attached Photos below
    Attached Images Attached Images   

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to IdaJean from:

Diggie's Friend (09-07-2021)

And one of the milky eye
    Attached Images Attached Images  

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to IdaJean from:

Diggie's Friend (09-07-2021)

Hi IdaJean. to TheSquirrelBoard

What a cute baby! I just love those adorable Fox squirrels.

Unfortunately your vet gave you some misinformation. Kitten formula is never recommended for baby squirrels. It has far too much protein for baby squirrels. Kittens are carnivores and squirrels are not. The recommended formula for baby squirrels is actually puppy formula. The one that most use is powdered puppy Esbilac that can be purchased at most pet retailers. I personally don’t like it but you need to switch ASAP. The formula I use is only available online. I use FoxValley 20:50 especially formulated for baby squirrels over 4 weeks.

While the kitten formula will sustain them for a while, they will eventually start declining. I would recommend you switch formula pretty soon. One more thing, we don’t mix the formula with Pedialyte. Pedialyte is given for hydration when they first come in. If they continue to get Pedialyte they will soon be suffering the effects of too much salt intake. It is discontinued after 24 hrs. The formula is mixed with water. The puppy Esbilac is mixed 1 scoop of powder with 2 scoops of water. The FoxValley is also mixed the same … 1:2 (powder:water)

I’m curious about the eye. Is that a white discharge or is the eye itself cloudy? A white eye in a baby is either dehydration or a nutritional cataract. A white discharge like tears is often a sign of pain.

Here is a link to a baby squirrel guide. It has a lot of information about raising baby squirrels.
    https://henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

At Henry’s Pet you can get all sorts of squirrel supplies including proper syringes, Miracle nipple and formula. You can get Fox Valley there as well.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

cassgrimm (09-08-2021), stepnstone (09-06-2021)

I hate to tell you this, but just about everything you are doing regarding feeding is wrong. Most vets are pretty clueless regarding wildlife.

First, The kitten formula is NOT good. Cats are what are referred to as obligate carnivores, which means they really just eat meat, which means they require a very high protein diet. The kitten formula has way too much protein in it for a baby squirrel, which obviously has a very different diet from a cat. Pet Ag makes Esbilac Puppy formula, and THAT is what he needs. You want the plain Esbilac POWDERED puppy formula, not the liquid stuff and not their goats milk formula. You can get it at any chain pet store. Don't buy any brand but Esbilac.

Second, pedialyte should only be given for about 24 hours if the baby is dehydrated when found, and should NEVER be mixed with the formula. At this point, he probably doesn't need any additional hydration, as the Esbilac is mixed with water and supplies all the hydration they need. Baby squirrels have no way to drink water until they leave the nest.

What are you feeding him with? It should be a 1cc syringe, not a bottle or dropper or anything.

And I just saw that HRT4SQRLS posted all of this plus the other things I was going to add so I will stop typing for now...

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Diggie's Friend (09-07-2021), HRT4SQRLS (09-06-2021), stepnstone (09-06-2021)

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

CritterMom (09-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I hate to tell you this, but just about everything you are doing regarding feeding is wrong. Most vets are pretty clueless regarding wildlife.

First, The kitten formula is NOT good. Cats are what are referred to as obligate carnivores, which means they really just eat meat, which means they require a very high protein diet. The kitten formula has way too much protein in it for a baby squirrel, which obviously has a very different diet from a cat. Pet Ag makes Esbilac Puppy formula, and THAT is what he needs. You want the plain Esbilac POWDERED puppy formula, not the liquid stuff and not their goats milk formula. You can get it at any chain pet store. Don't buy any brand but Esbilac.

Second, pedialyte should only be given for about 24 hours if the baby is dehydrated when found, and should NEVER be mixed with the formula. At this point, he probably doesn't need any additional hydration, as the Esbilac is mixed with water and supplies all the hydration they need. Baby squirrels have no way to drink water until they leave the nest.

What are you feeding him with? It should be a 1cc syringe, not a bottle or dropper or anything.

And I just saw that HRT4SQRLS posted all of this plus the other things I was going to add so I will stop typing for now...

Thank you very much for your replys, I was in contact with Dave at Squrill Farm, and also our local wild life folks, we will be handing the baby over to someone who is liscened to handle her, and knows what they are doing this week.. It has been diffucult to find someone, but we did, and she will be going to a new home on Friday,untill then we will keep her with the petag formula with WATER & a bit of cream.. Dave Corrected me on that..Her Eye seems to be getting clearer. Beyond that she seems quite healthy and fiesty.. Again we appreciate your advise and will share our new knowledge with others when and if the time comes, (another Hurrican)..

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    We are handing her over to a liscened rehabber this friday, I wgot some advice from Dave at Squrill Farm, and the pedialite has stopped.. Her eye seems to be clearing up, and she looks and acts very healthy and fiesty..
    Thanks very much for your replys and advise... MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IdaJean View Post
    We are handing her over to a liscened rehabber this friday, I wgot some advice from Dave at Squrill Farm, and the pedialite has stopped.. Her eye seems to be clearing up, and she looks and acts very healthy and fiesty..
    Thanks very much for your replys and advise... MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!
    Thanks for helping the baby IdaJean. I’m glad you were able to find a rehabber. I’m in FL so I understand what’s it like finding a rehabber after a hurricane. After the major devastation of a hurricane, there are literally hundreds, even thousands of baby wildlife in need. It’s not always possible to find a rehabber.

I hope your life can get back to normal at some point but I know it will take a while. Ida was one that will be remembered for a very long time. I’m glad the baby found her way into compassionate hands like yours.