Thread: Fox Squirrel Baby with Aspiration Pneumonia

Default Fox Squirrel Baby with Aspiration Pneumonia

Please help ASAP. We rescued a baby squirrel a few weeks ago and he has come down with aspiration pneumonia. All I have on hand is E.M. Erythromycin for fish. Is there a dosage I can give him that would help this. I’ve read that it will do in a pinch, and that’s kinda where we’re at. He is 5-6 weeks and weighs about 75 grams. PLEASE HELP!

Default Re: Fox Squirrel Baby with Aspiration Pneumonia

I have never heard of erythromycin being effective for Aspiration Pneumonia (AP). I do not have any reference material for dosing erythromycin and I don't recall ever seeing anyone here on TSB dose erythromycin. You can post the strength of the erythromycin in case someone else is familiar and maybe can help...

Ask family, friends and neighbors for antibiotics, you need only 1 pill. Hopefully someone will have something that will give him a chance... you will need just a single pill.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I have never heard of erythromycin being effective for Aspiration Pneumonia (AP). I do not have any reference material for dosing erythromycin and I don't recall ever seeing anyone here on TSB dose erythromycin. You can post the strength of the erythromycin in case someone else is familiar and maybe can help...

Ask family, friends and neighbors for antibiotics, you need only 1 pill. Hopefully someone will have something that will give him a chance... you will need just a single pill.
    I got some amoxicillin (human) that is 875 mg. Do you know what dosage for baby squirrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadedhippie View Post
    He is 5-6 weeks and weighs about 75 grams. PLEASE HELP!
    Knowing the weight is important to properly dose medications, over dosing can be dangerous, under dosing can be ineffective.
    How did you come about assuming this weight?

Fox squirrels are bigger then greys...

A 3-4 week old (typical grey) would be in the range of 75grams, a 5-6 week old (typical grey) should be in the range of 120 grams.

Posting a picture of baby in question possibly could give a better assessment of age, condition and weight.

Is the Amoxicillin plain/straight Amoxicillin or possibly
    Clavamox? (Amoxicillin/Clavulantic acid 875mg/125mg)

Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Spanky (09-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Knowing the weight is important to properly dose medications, over dosing can be dangerous, under dosing can be ineffective.
    How did you come about assuming this weight?

Fox squirrels are bigger then greys...

A 3-4 week old (typical grey) would be in the range of 75grams, a 5-6 week old (typical grey) should be in the range of 120 grams.

Posting a picture of baby in question possibly could give a better assessment of age, condition and weight.

Is the Amoxicillin plain/straight Amoxicillin or possibly
    Clavamox? (Amoxicillin/Clavulantic acid 875mg/125mg)

I didn’t assume his weight, I weighed him on a scale. It is straight amoxicillin, from what my mother in law said. I asked specifically.

I didn’t assume his weight, I weighed him on a scale. It is straight amoxicillin, from what my mother in law said. I asked specifically.
    Amoxil 875mg is an uncommon dose / pill form and is more common for Augmentin, which is a combination drug with Amoxil (amoxicillin) and one of the ingredients.

I will send dosing for Amoxil 875mg but it would be great to get the label or even the color of the tablet and any numbers / letters on the pill so that it can be confirmed to ensure correct dosing.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Dreadedhippie (09-02-2021)

I got some amoxicillin (human) that is 875 mg. Do you know what dosage for baby squirrel?
    Please tell us if amoxicillin is a tablet or capsule.

Oops, I see Spanky is helping you.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Spanky (09-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Amoxil 875mg is an uncommon dose / pill form and is more common for Augmentin, which is a combination drug with Amoxil (amoxicillin) and one of the ingredients.

I will send dosing for Amoxil 875mg but it would be great to get the label or even the color of the tablet and any numbers / letters on the pill so that it can be confirmed to ensure correct dosing.
    The Amoxicillin is a tablet that has an X on one half and a 32 on the other. I am unable to take a picture at this time as I am at work, but would greatly appreciate any assistance. We definitely want this little guy to be healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Please tell us if amoxicillin is a tablet or capsule.

Oops, I see Spanky is helping you.
    All help is welcome!!!

The Amoxicillin is a tablet that has an X on one half and a 32 on the other. I am unable to take a picture at this time as I am at work, but would greatly appreciate any assistance. We definitely want this little guy to be healthy.
    Like the picture below?

Name:  16714-0297-02_NLMIMAGE10_6F44B7A5.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  50.9 KB

Edit: I have sent Augmentin dosing in a PM hoping (betting) the tablet shown is what the member has which is Augmentin 875.
    Last edited by Spanky; 09-02-2021 at 11:31 AM.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Dreadedhippie (09-02-2021)