Thread: Eastern Grey - Possible Aspiration and Gas/Bloat

Default Eastern Grey - Possible Aspiration and Gas/Bloat

We have had a pinkie (~1.5wks when received) for the past 10 days he is now ~47g, started with us at 32g. He has been doing well with a bit of gas off and on the past few days (Esbilac only, Pedialyte between ~50% of feedings). In this afternoon's feeding his gas seemed to come on during feeding and his stomach got quite large and firm, not hard right after feeding. I provided a small drop of Simethicone, but not sure if it has been effective as I have a hard time figuring out how to administer successfully.

Since the feeding his stomach has stayed pretty large and seems a little more sluggish than normal. He also was quite grumpy after the feeding and making little grunts and complaints with his dissatisfaction of the situation. He is a very clicky (mouth) baby, especially when held or cuddling. This has always made me paranoid about AP, but thus far he has stayed healthy and I have a reserve of fresh Baytril in case it is needed. Since the bloated feeding this afternoon, I thought I heard a bit of clicking after feeding but was hard to tell through all the mouth clicks he was making and don't hear anything too suspicious at this time (2 hrs later). Should I start with Baytril a bit proactively? If so, can I get some help with dosing?

Also, is there anything I should start switching to or adding to the Esbilac that might help on the bloating side? I'm in Canada so Fox Valley is not super readily available. I currently shake and stir it, let it set for 3-4 hours, and put it in a separate container to warm in hot water each feeding, throw out what is in the fridge every 24 hours.

Default Re: Eastern Grey - Possible Aspiration and Gas/Bloat

Photo of our boy Dom

Name:  5FC77647-89FF-4659-BA27-813694235DA8.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  67.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mushy View Post
    We have had a pinkie (~1.5wks when received) for the past 10 days he is now ~47g, started with us at 32g. He has been doing well with a bit of gas off and on the past few days (Esbilac only, Pedialyte between ~50% of feedings).
    Stop giving him Pedialyte. If he needs hydration after the first 24 hours, use plain water. Continuing the pedialyte can throw off his electrolytes.

Should I start with Baytril a bit proactively? If so, can I get some help with dosing?
    Giving Baytril to a baby squirrel "proactively" is not a good idea. The Baytril has risks associated with it (but of course if the have AP that is life threatening and outweighs the risks).

Aspiration does cause AP but AP does not result form every aspiration. The AP click is persistent, it does not stop. Hearing it while they sleep is a big clue as is a loss of appetite.

Also, is there anything I should start switching to or adding to the Esbilac that might help on the bloating side? I'm in Canada so Fox Valley is not super readily available. I currently shake and stir it, let it set for 3-4 hours, and put it in a separate container to warm in hot water each feeding, throw out what is in the fridge every 24 hours.
    Any formula that heated for feeding and not used should also been thrown out and never reused. The Esbilac powder should be stored in the freezer after opening.

Thank you for the advisement on Pedialyte and we will stop that ASAP and move to water when he looks a little dehydrated.

As for feeding we always toss anything that has been warmed, so that has not been an issue. Esbilac powder is in the fridge. Should I replace this and could it be an issue if it has just been fridge kept?

Esbilac powder is in the fridge. Should I replace this and could it be an issue if it has just been fridge kept?
    The fridge is good, no need to toss if it has been in the fridge. I think most rehabber might stick tot eh freezer partially because we go a few months in-between seasons and babies.