Thread: Easter Grey w/ Possible Aspiration

Default Easter Grey w/ Possible Aspiration

I have an eastern grey weighing 86 grams. The last two times she’s eaten (esbilac) she’s aspirated and refused to eat any more during that feeding. When holding her to my ear, I can hear clicking. I have 500 mg amoxicillin and 500 penicillin tablets on hand. Could/should I give her either of these and, if so, proper dosing please? Also, how can I get Baytril without a prescription? I’ve been told that’s the best ab for them? Not sure if that’s true, just figured it was an appropriate time to ask.
    Thank you

Default Re: Easter Grey w/ Possible Aspiration

Quote Originally Posted by sharonashley78@gmail.com View Post
    I have an eastern grey weighing 86 grams. The last two times she’s eaten (esbilac) she’s aspirated and refused to eat any more during that feeding. When holding her to my ear, I can hear clicking. I have 500 mg amoxicillin and 500 penicillin tablets on hand. Could/should I give her either of these and, if so, proper dosing please? Also, how can I get Baytril without a prescription? I’ve been told that’s the best ab for them? Not sure if that’s true, just figured it was an appropriate time to ask.
    Thank you
    Is the clicking with every breathe? Sometimes they will make ‘clicky’ like sounds from the nose or mouth that aren’t pneumonia. If the appetite is still good it is probably not AP. With AP, there is clicking with every breathe, they stop eating and are lethargic. The penicillin is not good for this. The Amoxicillin isn’t that great either but lacking anything else it could be used but again… not the best. Can you get Ciprofloxacin from a friend or family member. All you need is one tablet. We can dose it.

You need a prescription to get Baytril. There might be an online source for reptiles but if this is AP you wouldn’t have time to order it. AP has to be treated very quickly. Your best bet would be to ask family or friends what they have. Ciprofloxacin is very similar to Baytril. SMZ-TMP and doxycycline (tetracycline) would also work. See what you can get.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Mel1959 (09-01-2021)