Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Pet Grey Squirrel - Lesion under arm - Safe antibiotic?

Default Re: Pet Grey Squirrel - Lesion under arm - Safe antibiotic?

Hi David and Rocket:

I'm glad the first crop of lesions has resolved! The new lesion looks like a bite to me. It certainly could be from an ant or a flea just as you may suspect. by the way, did Rocket lose hair around the lesion or did you separate the hair in order to better expose the lesion?

I have a few suggestions: 1) Launder all of Rockets belongings and clean his cage thoroughly, 2) I would presumptively treat Rocket whether or not there is any evidence of a flea infestation and my recommended medication is Revolution for Kittens. This could be either the mauve colored box for kittens weighing 0-5 pounds or the blue box for kittens weighing 5.1-15 pounds. The concentration of the medicine is the same in both, only the quantity in each applicator of the medication is different. The dose would be One Drop applied to bare skin at the base of Rocket's neck between his shoulder blades. Part Rocket's hair so that you will be certain that the single drop of medication will be placed on bare skin. Revolution is a prescription item in the US but there are several places you can order this medication from that are located in Canada but why not simply check to see if your vet has some in stock or would write a prescription for it and then you could get the little guy treated now. 3) If you have any other pets around the house it would be kind and also prudent to treat them as well 4) Check for ants. Unfortunately ants seem to be able show up anywhere. There are some pet and child safe ant sprays but most of them use "natural" ingredients that have a very strong and sometime irritating odor. Rocket and any Squirrel would most likely find these strong smelling substances to be relatively intolerable if used in the same room that he lives in. Squirrels and other animal can have breathing difficulties triggered by exposure to strong or irritating odors. If you do find ants and their path into you home is away from anywhere Rocket or another animal might go, it may be safe to use a "regular" ant killing spray but only if there is absolutely no risk that Rocket will be exposed to the stuff itself on any surfaces or to the vapor.

Sammy gets treated every month with a drop of Revolution and so far, no fleas seen and he's not scratching! He has had no problems attributable to the medication either! It's very safe!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

DavidDane (10-23-2021), HRT4SQRLS (10-23-2021), Mel1959 (10-23-2021)

I agree with Sam that it looks like a bite and based on knowing our FL terrain I would suspect an ant. The carpenter ants have been bad this year.

I just wanted to mention that if your vet has Revolution, make sure it is NOT Revolution PLUS. The front desk worker at a vets office told one of our members it was the same product. It is not the same.
    The Revolution PLUS has an extra ingredient that has not been determined to be safe on squirrels. Revolution (selamectin) has been used for many years on squirrels and has a long track record of safety. The other product is new and does not have any history of safety so no need for you to test the waters with an unproven product.

If your vet doesn’t have it we can post a link where you can purchase it online.

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

DavidDane (10-23-2021), Mel1959 (10-23-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-23-2021)

Thanks for the replies you guys. I really appreciate your advice. (In response to your question Sam, I didn't part his hair. That is from him scratching or biting making it bald in that area I think.)

I washed all of his bedding and cleaned my porch thoroughly today. I took some pictures just a few minutes ago and it's looking like he's chewing it. I really can't tell if this is a bite that will heal on its own, or if it's the same thing he had before trying to come back?? It's really strange that it's on a completely different arm. I would hate to have to go through the whole antibiotic process again! Ugh. And if I had to, would this happen again?

I will attach some pictures so you guys can see. Let me know what you think ��
    Attached Images Attached Images   

When Rocket had his other crop of lesions it was my suspicion that the delayed resolution was secondary to Rocket licking and further irritating the lesions which not only delayed resolution but made them worse. One of the most compelling bits of evidence for this was that the lesion that was most difficult for Rocket to get to (the one nearest his shoulder) resolved completely while the other lesions persisted. The cause of the original lesions was not really determined and they even seemed to develop the classic appearance of lesions caused by a certain family of viruses where there is a raised rim around a depressed central region. Looking at things now with the new, fresh lesion in mind, the original lesions may also have been caused by bites and ants certainly seem to win out on what may be the culprits. The original lesions finally resolved while you were using SMZ-TMP and Dermalone. I also expressed my concerns with using Dermalone but again, from my perspective of knowing all that had gone on with the prior crop of lesions and now seeing this new one; I really believe that there were two factors related to your prior therapeutic approach that led to the resolution of the earlier lesions. The first I believe was that the way the Dermalone may have tasted to Rocket decreased his tendency to lick the lesions and the steroid component of the Dermalone decreased inflammation and itching. Even though I am obviously not a "fan" of Dermalone or any of the medicinal preparations that fire a "shotgun" of different medications at a condition; I would like to suggest that you go back to using the Dermalone as you were doing previously on the new lesion and monitor its appearance over the next 3-5 days. There was no evidence of a sensitivity or allergic reaction to the Dermalone when you use it before and hopefully none will develop this time (if you decide to try it again). If there is any worsening or signs of an allergic reaction (Some of the concerning signs of worsening would include increased swelling, redness, drainage, further irritation with licking, and new lesions) stop the Dermalone and let's see what else may need to be done. I would not recommend starting the SMZ-TMP again. I really believe that the the only the steroid component of the Dermalone possibly in conjunction with a bad taste were the factors that led to resolution of the first lesions and may very well lead to resolution of the new lesion. Dermalone is not meant to be used for relatively long periods and certainly not daily but I do believe it would be worth trying it again at least for a short trial period. Hopefully you can get Rocket treated for fleas but I'm quite sure that HRT is correct and this is an ant bite. It would be important and of course preventative for you to identify how the ants have been able to gain access to where Rocket hangs out and eliminate the means for this so it does not recur!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

DavidDane (10-25-2021), HRT4SQRLS (10-24-2021), Mel1959 (10-25-2021)

Thanks for the reply Sam and the advice! I agree with alot of what you and HRT have said, and also that the other lesions looked like some kind of infection or virus. But let me say this.. During his initial first 10 days on the SMZ, I didn't even give him any Dermalone and the lesions started to resolve and almost healed just on the antibiotic alone. The next time is when I started using both the Dermalone and the SMZ together.

I started him on the Dermalone two days ago, so today would be the third day. I will attach some new pictures for you guys to see. Yesterday and last night it was looking better, but today it looks a little red in the middle. I still can't tell if this is a bite, or if it's a virus you mentioned that has raised edges and a depressed middle area. If it were, wouldn't it be strange that it's on a different arm? Take a look and let me know what you guys think?
    (First picture is from yesterday, the next from this morning and the last two taken tonight at the same time from different angles)

Hi David:
    Again, I feel that this lesion is a bite and it may be that the original ones were as well. I really believe that the major variable is that Rocket does what almost any other mammal will do when they have an irritating lesion and that is to lick and/or chew the lesion. This can easily result in further irritation, swelling, redness and breakdown in the skin. I do not believe this lesion is viral. I would not try in any way to attempt to dissuade you from restarting the SMZ-TPM. Yes, there are risks to antibiotics including the development of resistant bacteria. There may be some justification for using antibiotics now if Rocket is "working on the lesion." There is risk of infection from that but nature being what it is with survival of the species being the "prime directive," the risk of most animals continuing for uncounted generations to lick wounds and lesions suggests that this may even have have some survival benefit. I certainly don't know the definitive answer to that. It may also be said that it cannot really be that risky or the behavior would not be so wide spread in the animal kingdom as it is and most likely would not have persisted as a behavior. BUT, captive Squirrels are probably exposed to bacteria and strains of bacteria solely from their close association with their humans and these may pose some additional risks and may truly justify resuming the SMZ-TMP. I believe the risk, if you decide to do this, is minimal and it sounds as if you will sleep better if you do! I would still recommend using the Dermalone. Please reassess Rocket several times daily and keep us updated on what you have decided to use for his medication and how he is doing.
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

DavidDane (10-26-2021), Diggie's Friend (12-10-2021), Mel1959 (10-25-2021)

Thanks for the reply Sam! Yeah I completely agree with you.

I honestly didn't want to put him on an antibiotic for a 3rd time though. I think the things I was a little concerned about are these...

Since I've put him on it twice, and the second time being 19 days instead of 10, shouldn't that have completely killed the original infection? And if this new lesion wasn't a bite, but was the other thing coming back, why would it appear on a different arm?

I think maybe I was concerned about these things because I didn't give him the full dosage that HRT had told me, which I believe was 2.3 or 2.4cc. Since the Rx was for 1cc, I tried to play it safe and just gave him 2.0cc. which makes me wonder if it completely killed the infection. I waited two weeks after stopping his medication, making sure that nothing would re-emerge on the original arm and then this thing pops up on the other arm. I hope that I gave him the correct antibiotic and dosage to completely get rid of it. I just don't want to put him on it for a 3rd time and have something pop up again somewhere 2 weeks later. Is it even possible to travel through his system and emerge somewhere else? Could he have gotten reinfected through his bedding?

Of course... The original arm is still healed, and this could just be a new bite. I'm just not sure what to think.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDane View Post

I honestly didn't want to put him on an antibiotic for a 3rd time though. I think the things I was a little concerned about are these...

Since I've put him on it twice, and the second time being 19 days instead of 10, shouldn't that have completely killed the original infection? And if this new lesion wasn't a bite, but was the other thing coming back, why would it appear on a different arm?

I think maybe I was concerned about these things because I didn't give him the full dosage that HRT had told me, which I believe was 2.3 or 2.4cc. Since the Rx was for 1cc, I tried to play it safe and just gave him 2.0cc. which makes me wonder if it completely killed the infection. I waited two weeks after stopping his medication,
    making sure that nothing would re-emerge on the original arm and then this thing pops up on the other arm. I hope that I gave him the correct antibiotic and dosage to completely get rid of it. I just don't want to put him on it for a 3rd time and have something pop up again somewhere 2 weeks later. Is it even possible to travel through his system and emerge somewhere else? Could he have gotten reinfected through his bedding?

Of course... The original arm is still healed, and this could just be a new bite. I'm just not sure what to think.
    I do a lot of dosing so I don’t remember the exact dosing for Rocket but I can assure you it wasn’t that much.
    I didn’t want anyone to think these amounts were correct.

Maybe 0.23 or 0.24mL but definitely NOT 2.3 or 2.4mL. That’s a BIG difference.

13. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

DavidDane (10-26-2021), Mel1959 (10-26-2021), redwuff (10-26-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (10-26-2021), stepnstone (10-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I do a lot of dosing so I don’t remember the exact dosing for Rocket but I can assure you it wasn’t that much.
    I didn’t want anyone to think these amounts were correct.

Maybe 0.23 or 0.24mL but definitely NOT 2.3 or 2.4mL. That’s a BIG difference.
    Thanks for catching that HRT! My mistake. Yes I meant 0.23-0.24mL!

I went ahead and took him to the vet today, and he suggested that I do another 10-14 day on the SMZ and also use the Dermalone. This time he wrote the script for 0.3mL. Could you do me a favor HRT and double check that the correct dosage for him was 0.23-0.24?

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DavidDane from:

stepnstone (10-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDane View Post

I think maybe I was concerned about these things because I didn't give him the full dosage that HRT had told me, which I believe was 2.3 or 2.4cc. Since the Rx was for 1cc, I tried to play it safe and just gave him 2.0cc. which makes me wonder if it completely killed the infection. I waited two weeks after stopping his medication, making sure that nothing would re-emerge on the original arm and then this thing pops up on the other arm. I hope that I gave him the correct antibiotic and dosage to completely get rid of it. I just don't want to put him on it for a 3rd time and have something pop up again somewhere 2 weeks later. Is it even possible to travel through his system and emerge somewhere else? Could he have gotten reinfected through his bedding?

Hi David: I want to tell you how great it makes me feel knowing that you care so much for your little guy, Rocket. He is a lucky Squirrel! I'm sorry I haven't been available to answer your questions in a timely manner but my work responsibilities unexpectedly require much more of my time this week than usual! Also, I want to thank HRT for catching the dosing issue from your post! As to your questions: 1) Is it possible that the new lesion could "just be a new bite." Yes, I still believe that the new lesion is an insect bite'; 2) I know that you attribute Rocket's recovery the first time around to the SMZ-TMP and I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise. But, if there really was a bacterial infection causing the original lesions, the only possible way that bacteria can "travel through his system and emerge somewhere else would be for the bacteria to be spread elsewhere by Rocket's blood. David, blood is sterile. It does not normally contain any bacteria. If bacteria do get into the blood (and it does happen!) this is usually an extremely serious event and often leads to death because his can result in infections most anywhere in the body and in many cases there is failure of one or more organ systems as a result of the infection and how the animal responds to the infection. Rocket is not even sick, he is interactive, and I think he is even smiling in his photos! Please know that Rocket does not have bacteria traveling about his body! 3) Could Rocket have gotten "reinfected" through his beeding. Again, I do not believe this new lesion started as an infection, it looked classically like a bite. So in a sense, yes, his new lesion (bite) could have originated from conttact with his bedding if an insect was present there that is why I suggested that you launder all of his belongings as this would remove and hopefully kill any lurking insects.
    Best regards Rocket & David!
    SamthgeSquirrel

Hey Everyone!

Sorry for the delay. I've been busy with the baby squirrels and everything else. Thanks for reply Sam! I really appreciate that and agree with everything that you said. No worries on taking a day or two getting back, I completely understand. Sometimes it takes me even longer. Yes, he is very loved

I also wanted to update you guys on everything. The bite on his other arm is completely healed now. For reference, I ended up giving him another 14 day treatment of the SMZ at 0.25ml twice a day, and Dermalone twice a day for 10 days.

Thank you all for the help! I really cannot express how much I really do appreciate it. You guys are pretty awesome people and I am really happy to be a part of the community.

Here are some pictures of Rocket all healed up with his brand new condo and all of his stuff cleaned!

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to DavidDane:

Mel1959 (11-13-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (11-12-2021), Scooterzmom (12-15-2021)

Glad ROCKET is healed up 🤗
    Love his condo very nice 👍
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Not sure how I missed your update last month, but the condo looks great and so glad your boy is healing up nicely.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Hey guys!

I wanted to post an update for Rocket and get your opinions on something. After his last lesion healed, the hair almost completely grew back over it. But after I had stopped his antibiotic for a week, I noticed his hair getting bald around that same area, so I put him back on it for another 10 days with Dermalone as well just to be sure. It wasn't red or irritated but I didn't want to take any chances. He has been off again now for 2 weeks, and I'm not seeing him lick the area or scratch it, but he has this baldness there that is just completely bald and has not begun to grow any hair back yet. I'll attach some pictures for you guys to see. Bottom picture is of the lesion almost healed with the hair growing back, then two weeks later, then top one is 2 or 3 weeks after that, which was about a day ago. Any ideas what it could be?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567