Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet Grey Squirrel - Lesion under arm - Safe antibiotic?

Default Re: Pet Grey Squirrel - Lesion under arm - Safe antibiotic?

Thanks alot you guys! You have no idea how much I appreciate all of this help. Rocket really means alot to me and it's been stressful.

Quick question for you guys about his meds ... Since they didn't give me enough SMZ to dose him at 0.2ml, I was running out and had to go get more today. I had to get it from a different place because the local vet was out. Does anyone know what it should look like and how the consistency should be? My first script was in a little bottle and was light pink, somewhat milky and a little thick. The new stuff is pinker and a bit more liquidy or thinner. I'll attach some pictures. Does the new stuff look right?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

It is almost certainly the same thing. SMZ-TMP is sold under the name Sulfatrim Pediatric Suspension which is used both for children and pets. It is the drug SMZ-TMP mixed with a cherry flavored suspension. It is pre-mixed - vets buy it in bottles, they do not compound it themselves. Regardless of whether it is made for kids or being used for pets it is the same drug and the same strength. But since it is available in generic versions, the suspension - the liquid that has the cherry flavor - is likely made by a number of different companies, and slight difference in color and viscosity is probably pretty common.

BTW, make sure you refrigerate this stuff. The suspension is made with sugar and it will go bad at room temp once opened - sugar encourages the growth of bacteria.

Great! Thanks alot Will do. Do you know if anyone has given them Benadryl whiile they are on the SMZ antibiotics?

Hey everyone! Sorry I had a busy couple of days. I'm going to post a few pictures to see what you guys think. The first one is from tonight. The next two are from yesterday morning and night. And then the last one is from Sunday. I haven't started the Benadryl yet because I wasn't sure I could combine them but I might start it tomorrow. I wanted to get your opinions first. Does it look like it's trying to heal? The strange thing is that 3rd spot seems to have gotten a little bigger. Does that look like something that spread or just something he has been licking and scratching/irritating?

Also, the vet set the course for his antibiotics for 10 days which are going up by up in 2 days. Should I try to extend that longer?

Not sure what to do from here. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Name:  IMG_4790.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  88.3 KBName:  IMG_4775.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  94.5 KBName:  IMG_4774.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  83.9 KBName:  IMG_4766.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  81.5 KB

David, It doesn’t look infected at this point. After the completion of the antibiotic in 2 days, I don’t think continuing it would add much benefit. It looks like it’s trying to heal. IF this doesn’t heal completely, we might need to consider something else other than a bacterial infection. Of course, if he’s scratching or licking it, it will continue to be a problem. Really though, it doesn’t look that bad to me.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

DavidDane (09-08-2021), stepnstone (09-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDane View Post
    Hey everyone! Sorry I had a busy couple of days. I'm going to post a few pictures to see what you guys think. The first one is from tonight. The next two are from yesterday morning and night. And then the last one is from Sunday. I haven't started the Benadryl yet because I wasn't sure I could combine them but I might start it tomorrow. I wanted to get your opinions first. Does it look like it's trying to heal? The strange thing is that 3rd spot seems to have gotten a little bigger. Does that look like something that spread or just something he has been licking and scratching/irritating?

Also, the vet set the course for his antibiotics for 10 days which are going up by up in 2 days. Should I try to extend that longer?

Not sure what to do from here. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    I looked at the photos. Their quality is very good and I was able to magnify them quite a bit before losing detail. I agree with HRT4SQRLS in that the lesions do not appear to be infections and the surrounding skin also does not look infected or even inflamed. I have a suggestion. There are Veterinarians who specialize in Dermatology and there are a number of them located in Florida. It might be worth contacting one or several of these Animal Dermatologists and ask them if they would be willing to review your photos and give an opinion. They may charge for this as in a real sense, this is Telemedicine. I have very little experience with Squirrel (and animal) dermatology but these lesions may be caused by a virus, local skin sensitivity, insect bites or even a fungus. Also, when an animal licks a raised area of skin such as an insect bite; the licking can break down some of the overlying skin and make it difficult to recognize how it looked originally before the animal further irritated the skin by licking it. This can also make determining the original cause of the skin problem more difficult. I know that you were using dermalone initially and I recommended that you discontinue it as the photos did not seem to suggest a fungal infection (and still don't, in my opinion). I still recommend against restarting the dermalone as my concerns about this medication (including the risk of licking and ingesting the 4 different medications in it) haven't changed. Also, I would avoid using a topical (one that is applied to the skin) antifungal medicine that is combined with a steroid (such as dermalone) UNLESS it is prescribed by a Veterinarian specializing in Dermatology.
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

DavidDane (09-08-2021)

Thanks for the replies and advice you guys I really do appreciate it. I would love to be able to find a vet who specializes in this and send them the pictures. I wouldn't mind paying them either. The problem I kept running into with the squirrel vets here in Florida is that they are all far from me and they wouldn't even look at the pictures when I asked their offices, but instead needed me to come in. Do you guys know of any Dermatology vets anywhere that would be willing to do a phone visit and look at the pictures?

Thanks for the replies and advice you guys I really do appreciate it. I would love to be able to find a vet who specializes in this and send them the pictures. I wouldn't mind paying them either. The problem I kept running into with the squirrel vets here in Florida is that they are all far from me and they wouldn't even look at the pictures when I asked their offices, but instead needed me to come in. Do you guys know of any Dermatology vets anywhere that would be willing to do a phone visit and look at the pictures?
    This a link to a Veterinary Dermatology Group in the Dallas area. https://dermvets.com/contact/
    I have had no dealings with them but a friend recently did and was happy with them. I do not know if they will do a Telemedicine consult. It is illegal to have a captive Squirrel (and most other wildlife) in Texas and most Vets do not "officially" see Squirrels. Some do see pet Rats and there is considerable similarity with their medical issues and treatment and that of Squirrels. This clinic or another; even if in a "Squirrel Unfriendly" State may agree to do a Telemedicine consult as the animal does not need to be physically present in the clinic. In Florida, being that it is legal to have a pet Squirrel there; it is understandable that they would prefer to have the the animal present for a consultation as no real examination can be performed with Telemedicine.
    SamtheSquirrel

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

DavidDane (09-16-2021)

I don't want to offend anyone, but I think this is getting way too far into the weeds. There is an old adage in medicine that goes something like "when you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." Which means your headache is probably from stress or eyestrain, not a rare glioblastoma cancer. Look at the common before looking for off the wall things. It doesn't mean that people don't get glioblastomas, just that MOST headaches are not caused by that. Basically, it is playing the percentages.

This was most likely a little NOTHING - a tiny rash or small injury, and he has turned it into more by doing what animals do to stuff like that - licking it. Since you can't tell him to stop doing that, you have to try to get creative.

I watch the vet shows on Animal Planet and NatGeo Wild a LOT. There is much to learn on them. There is a show called "The Vet Life" about 3 longtime pals that start a practice in Houston. That would be in Texas, where you can't have a squirrel, but tigers and kinkajous are perfectly fine. I saw an episode where they were neutering a pet ring tailed lemur. It seems they are very tough to work on, because like squirrels, they are obsessive about their fur and about things that aren't supposed to be there (nobody with a squirrel has any callouses on any part of their body the squirrel can reach). Like stitches and incisions. And they are not very accepting of e-collars, either. When the vet was starting the neuter surgery, an assistant starts working on the rest of the animal, while it is under anesthesia. First, they put blobs of Elmer's glue in a bunch of spots in the fur. Then they paint the nails with bright pink polish. By the time the critter is coming to, the glue has dried. They also do internal stitches and close the skin surface with super glue, so there is nothing there to mess with. It takes them long enough to get all of the glue off of them and to chew the polish off their nails that the incision gets past the itchy point and they usually don't even realize something happened. I thought it was brilliant!

I really would try the benadryl and continue with just the diluted betadyne. If that doesn't work perhaps this little trick might be worth a try. Not with Elmers - it takes too long to dry. But cutting some duct tape in tiny, tiny pieces and trapping a few hairs between them someplace FAR away from his wound site might just be worth a try...

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

DavidDane (09-16-2021)

I would be concerned about personally contacting a vet in Texas to inquire about this skin condition, as this State doesn't allow tree squirrels to be kept as pets. You could have a friend who is willing to help, contact one of these vets for you; that way there would be no direct link back to you.

There is a concern using Superglue according to the info on it. For though the use of it to close skin is one thing; since the skin is already ulcerated it woundn't appear to be the best option to use on an already ulcerated area. There is a wound sealer that is non toxic that might help.

HAZARD STATEMENTS
    H315: Causes skin irritation.
    H317: May cause an allergic skin reaction.

Here is one source of wound spray; non toxic and non-irritating to the skin, it supports healing.

https://kericure.com/wound-care/

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    I would be concerned about personally contacting a vet in Texas to inquire about this skin condition, as this State doesn't allow tree squirrels to be kept as pets. You could have a friend who is willing to help, contact one of these vets for you; that way there would be no direct link back to you.

There is a concern using Superglue according to the info on it. For though the use of it to close skin is one thing; since the skin is already ulcerated it woundn't appear to be the best option to use on an already ulcerated area. There is a wound sealer that is non toxic that might help.
    I didn't suggest using super glue. My point was that the vets had to take all sorts of precautions to keep these animals from mutilating themselves. I can't even use it to fix things without gluing my freaking fingers together.

I get that. I don't like using it either. When I need to use it to glue something back that is broken, I have the S-glue remover on hand to remove it from my fingers, and anything else it ends up on.

I wrote just incase a member thought about using S-glue to protect damaged skin; because S-glue can cause skin irritation. For though S-glue is used by some veterinarians to close skin incisions; other means, including a cone as you wrote, may also be used to prevent the pet over licking or biting the surgical site.

Hey guys. Thanks for all of the replies I had a pretty busy weekend and wanted to post an update and some pictures. The first is from this morning, the next is from Sunday, and the last one is from Friday. Again it looks more irritated this morning than it did Sunday? It's probably from him licking it like you said CritterMom, but I can't really tell if it's from that or stopping the medicine. I did stop his antibiotic on Friday after 10 days of doses. How would I know if I needed to give it to him for a longer period? And what should I look out for? I just didn't want to stop prematurely, but that's the amount of time it was written for. Let me know what you guys think

To add to my last post:

On Friday I saw the local vet to show him the recent pictures. I told him I was reluctant to use the Dermalone ointment unless I had to, so he gave me a powder to use. I haven't used it yet because I wanted to ask about it here first, but this is what it is.... Neo-Predef. It has neomycin sulfate, isoflupredone acetate, and tetracaine hci. Anyone use that before?

To add to my last post:

On Friday I saw the local vet to show him the recent pictures. I told him I was reluctant to use the Dermalone ointment unless I had to, so he gave me a powder to use. I haven't used it yet because I wanted to ask about it here first, but this is what it is.... Neo-Predef. It has neomycin sulfate, isoflupredone acetate, and tetracaine hci. Anyone use that before?

Hi David

I have not used Neo-predef but I know what it is. It is a powdered medication manufactured specifically for "certain ear & skin conditions in dogs, cats &
    horses (!)." It is usually dusted into the ear canal and then there is no risk of the animal licking the medication. This is a link to the Product Insert: https://www2.zoetisus.com/content/_a...racaine_pi.pdf. I have not been tempted to use this on a Squirrel and these are the reasons why:
    1) the dosing for a Squirrel is unknown and the safety profile for a Squirrel is also unknown; 2) As discussed earlier in this thread; it is nearly impossible to keep your Squirrel from licking these wounds except possibly with a cone. A thick dressing will simply become Squirrel fodder; so it will be inevitable that your Squirrel will ingest some of this medication; 3) Again, I would recommend against using anything containing Neomycin on the skin because skin reactions are relatively common with it and if this occurs, it often appear totally indistinguishable from an infection. Animal and human studies have been performed with Neomycin and the claims associated with these preparations such as they will prevent an infection, cure an infection or speed healing have all been proven false. In fact in these and other studies, preparations of Neomycin have not been found to be any better than plain petrolatum (Vaseline) and potentially much worse; 4) there are also the some concerns about risks associated with ingesting Neomycin (or any of the other anitbiotics in the aminoglycoside family) which include kidney and hearing damage; 5) Isoflupredone is a steroid but it has very high mineralocorticoid activity as opposed to some of the other steroids such as hydrocortisone which are mostly antiinflammatory. The isoflupredone can potentially cause fluid and sodium retention and critically low potassium if ingested or significantly absorbed through the skin.

I still do know with certainty as to what originally caused your little Squirrel's wounds. It may have been ant bites or whatever. I still think it would be best to contact a Veterinary Dermatologist for their expert opinion and recommendations but I do feel that licking and scratching is what is currently aggravating them. A cone may be an option.

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Left off an important word. In my above post I meant to say:
    I still do NOT know with certainty as to what originally caused your little Squirrel's wounds
    StS

Okay I'll hold off on the powder and the Dermalone. I'm starting to give him the Children's Benedryl this morning and I'll start using the Betadine again.

I'm kind of wondering if I stopped the antibiotics too early? And, if some infection were to appear, or re-appear, would the same SMZ antibiotic be as effective the second time after stopping it?

Okay I'll hold off on the powder and the Dermalone. I'm starting to give him the Children's Benedryl this morning and I'll start using the Betadine again.

I'm kind of wondering if I stopped the antibiotics too early? And, if some infection were to appear, or re-appear, would the same SMZ antibiotic be as effective the second time after stopping it?
    Resistance to an antibiotic can certainly develop whenever an antibiotic is used. It doesn't mean that if you used SMZ-TMP again, it would necessarily be ineffective or even less effective than before. It might be however, and sometimes it becomes necessary to use a different antibiotic from one that was just used. It would be important for you to monitor for signs of infection and begin treatment with either the same antibiotic for at least a short trial or a different but likely effective antibiotic. Some of the common signs of an infection involving the skin include one or more of the following: 1) redness of the surrounding skin, 2) swelling, 3) hardness or firmness of the once soft skin, 4) drainage of pus, and 5) central softness of a new mass in the skin suggesting an abscess (pus pocket) has developed. From viewing your photos however, it does not appear that there are any signs of an infection currently.
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

DavidDane (09-16-2021)

Thanks Sam. I really appreciate that info!

Here are some pictures that I took tonight. One after he had just been licking it, and the other after he played a while and let it dry a bit. Compared to the last photos, there is some redness that formed around it. I can't tell if the redness is from him messing with it though, or from an infection trying to come back. What do you guys think?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast