Thread: Loss of appetite

Default Loss of appetite

I have been searching around in here to find some info, but there is just so much so I apologize if this has been answered.

My baby just opened his eyes on Friday, but we have had him for about 10 days. We think he may be closer to 5 weeks old now and 95 grams. I have been pretty paranoid about him getting pneumonia. He just gets so excited over food that he tries to eat as fast as he can, then gets mad at me for going too slow.

Today, he has not really gotten out of his box and isn't excited about his food. He ate about 3 cc's then lost interest. He had no problem peeing and pooping, but just went right back to sleep. His teeth are coming in fast and he was nibbling on his rodent block, but didn't eat it.

When should I be concerned?

Default Re: Loss of appetite

Quote Originally Posted by lonipaige View Post
    I have been searching around in here to find some info, but there is just so much so I apologize if this has been answered.

My baby just opened his eyes on Friday, but we have had him for about 10 days. We think he may be closer to 5 weeks old now and 95 grams. I have been pretty paranoid about him getting pneumonia. He just gets so excited over food that he tries to eat as fast as he can, then gets mad at me for going too slow.

Today, he has not really gotten out of his box and isn't excited about his food. He ate about 3 cc's then lost interest. He had no problem peeing and pooping, but just went right back to sleep. His teeth are coming in fast and he was nibbling on his rodent block, but didn't eat it.

When should I be concerned?
    Hold his chest to your ear like an old school phone and listen for a "clicking" sound on both inhale and exhale.
    This would signal aspiration pneumonia. If he were to have Ap you would need to administer an antibiotic asap.
    Aspiration pneumonia can take them down and out fast. I would recommend searching for antibiotcs sooner then
    later in case they are needed. Baytril Cipro, Augmention, Clavamox are a few good ones to acquire. Many human
    meds can be used when diluted and dosed properly. If you tell us what you can come up with we can tell you if
    it can be used and how to dose.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Hold his chest to your ear like an old school phone and listen for a "clicking" sound on both inhale and exhale.
    This would signal aspiration pneumonia. If he were to have Ap you would need to administer an antibiotic asap.
    Aspiration pneumonia can take them down and out fast. I would recommend searching for antibiotcs sooner then
    later in case they are needed. Baytril Cipro, Augmention, Clavamox are a few good ones to acquire. Many human
    meds can be used when diluted and dosed properly. If you tell us what you can come up with we can tell you if
    it can be used and how to dose.

He tried a grape late last night and decided that his hunger strike was over. Thank GOD!
    As for the antibiotics, I would like to know the dosage, just incase his vet cannot see him in time. I have Augmentin, but I thought they could not have amoxicillin-based antibiotics. I am new, so maybe I misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by lonipaige View Post
    He tried a grape late last night and decided that his hunger strike was over. Thank GOD!
    As for the antibiotics, I would like to know the dosage, just incase his vet cannot see him in time. I have Augmentin, but I thought they could not have amoxicillin-based antibiotics. I am new, so maybe I misunderstood.

Augmentin is a terrific drug for the treatment of Aspiration Pneumonia (A)) in squirrels.

FWIW, he should not have any solid foods other than Rodent Block until he is eating the rodent block well. Fruit should be limited It is normal for them to chew up the block in the beginning without eating much...

Meds are dosed by weight. If you need to dose him, come here with his weight in grams, and the size of the antibiotic pill you have in milligrams. Someone will send you instructions for diluting the pill and how much to dose him with using the dilution we will send you. You will need a 1cc or smaller syringe to dose him with - you should be using 1cc for feeding so one of those will work. It is a good idea to hold out a 1cc syringe JUST for dosing - the markings on the syringe get worn and washed off when you are using them to nurse and it is important to have one that has the markings intact so you can see to dose correctly.