Thread: Need help identify Chipmunk's illness or disease

Question Need help identify Chipmunk's illness or disease

Hello all, I am new to this forum. Today, I found one of the chipmunks in my backyard has what it looks like an abscess but I am not an expert and need help if that is a wound that will heal over time or it could carry disease that I need to be careful. Attached is a picture of the little cute guy, hopefully an expert can help me identify the issue and provide any remedies.

Thank you very much!Name:  PXL_20210827_172442338.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  191.4 KB

Default Re: Need help identify Chipmunk's illness or disease

Squirrels, including chipmunks, do not carry diseases... except in very rare circumstances... a human needs to worry about.

This chipmunk has a common Botfly Warble. There is "maggot" living in there that will expel itself soon enough. Nothing to be worried about, they are very common in squirrels, rabbits, cows, horses...

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

HRT4SQRLS (08-29-2021), stepnstone (08-29-2021), sundoesshine (08-28-2021), TubeDriver (08-29-2021)

Default Re: Need help identifying Towhee's illness or disease

Thank you Spanky! Your information was very helpful and I really appreciate your prompt response. I have another question and I am not sure if this is the right forum for it, but I will ask anyway. We have a towhee bird that looks sick, anyone would be able to shed some light as to its illness? What kind of disease do you think it has? Attached are the pictures. Thank you again.

Name:  signal-2021-08-29-125700_001.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  88.8 KBName:  signal-2021-08-29-125700_002.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  79.8 KB

Hmm. There is currently a virus (maybe??) that has been seen in birds that nobody has identified yet. It was first seen in the mid-Atlantic area but there are reports all over the US - and I have seen them in the Pac NW specifically. It is causing a massive die off of songbirds. One of the signs that has been noted is the conjunctivitis like symptoms in the eyes, like this poor guy. You can google for more info. I don't know that it is what you are seeing, but it certainly could be. Apparently they have tested some of the dead birds and it doesn't appear to be linked to covid, but there isn't a lot of info on it. Very sad. And very frightening.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

island rehabber (08-29-2021), stepnstone (08-29-2021)

Thank you CritterMom! I have another question: what kind of solution I can use in a birdbath that would be safe for birds, chipmunks, and squirrels to drink out of. Thank you again.