Thread: First time grey squirrel momma

Default First time grey squirrel momma

I have a male grey squirrel who is now 5 weeks old (got him at 2 weeks of age). He’s doing FABULOUS. Would love some help on first foods. I do have squirrel blocks. Do I let him climb on me? I’m worried he will jump off and run away. He gets milk drunk and immediately falls asleep after a feeding. At what point do they stop drinking milk from a nipple? When do I serve water? And is it from a hamster type bottle or a small cup? What toys and supplies do you recommend for his cage? I’ve heard about nesting material but not sure what kind. Any advice is truly grateful. His name is Fival

Default Re: First time grey squirrel momma

Quote Originally Posted by KTTNLVR View Post
    I have a male grey squirrel who is now 5 weeks old (got him at 2 weeks of age). He’s doing FABULOUS. Would love some help on first foods. I do have squirrel blocks. Do I let him climb on me? I’m worried he will jump off and run away. He gets milk drunk and immediately falls asleep after a feeding. At what point do they stop drinking milk from a nipple? When do I serve water? And is it from a hamster type bottle or a small cup? What toys and supplies do you recommend for his cage? I’ve heard about nesting material but not sure what kind. Any advice is truly grateful. His name is Fival
    What type of squirrel block are you feeding him, that makes a big difference in what his overall diet should be. For now, only feed him the squirrel block. Nothing else until he eats that really well.

Climbing is fine, but do not take him outside (or around dogs or cats, etc.).

Let him self wean, we do not wean squirrels... the longer he takes formula, the better!

Hamster type bottle, now is a good time to introduce.

Stuffies are fine for toys, but be sure they do not have any buttons, or beans... anything he could choke on. Branches to climb and chew... hanging toys are fun (he is a bit young for these).

Best thing to use for nesting is squares or strips of fleece of flannel.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

KTTNLVR (08-27-2021), lonipaige (09-07-2021)

Do you prefer Fox Valley or Henry's squirrel blocks? We bought Mulberry Lane, because it seemed natural like he would get in outside but he hates them. I really don't want to waste another $20 if one is better than the other. Both are on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by lonipaige View Post
    Do you prefer Fox Valley or Henry's squirrel blocks? We bought Mulberry Lane, because it seemed natural like he would get in outside but he hates them. I really don't want to waste another $20 if one is better than the other. Both are on Amazon.
    Actually, the FoxValley and Henry’s squirrel blocks are 2 different products. FoxValley is formula for babies, while Henry’s is a squirrel block. I have never heard of Mulberry Lane and couldn’t even find it.
    For babies 4 weeks and older I use FoxValley 20:50. When the baby starts eating solids I use the Henry’s blocks. There are several types of blocks available from Henry’s Pets. They make a high protein block for baby squirrels. I also buy the pickie eater block. Squirrels usually like the Henry’s blocks because they have a pecan base that is highly palatable. Keep in mind that the Henry’s blocks are supplement blocks and are given in limited amounts. Babies get one block per day. Feeding too many Henry’s blocks will result in over-supplementation. For a free choice block, I use a rodent block like Envigo Teklad 2018. They can have as much of this as they like. Keep in mind that the Envigo blocks are NOT as tasty as the Henry’s squirrel blocks.

You can get squirrel supplies cheaper at Henry’s Pets than you can from Amazon. I’ll get some links for you.

https://henryspets.com/hi-protein-blocks/

https://henryspets.com/picky-blocks-...rats-and-mice/

https://www.amazon.com/ENVIGO-Harlan...%2C196&sr=8-12

https://henryspets.com/healthy-diet-for-pet-squirrels/

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Mel1959 (09-08-2021), stepnstone (09-07-2021)

Hi everyone ☺ I am from the UK and reading all your great info on raising baby squirrels. We have a 5 week approx grey squirrel, who has had his eyes opened for exactly 1 week. We are trying to find squirrel blocks in the UK but they are about £50 a bag. Is there another brand or a recipe we can make for him? If we can only find a dried puppy milk then what should we add to that in fat/ mineral content.
    Thank you

What dried puppy formula are you feeding? Is it Royal Canin Baby Dog? No other nutrients need to be added to it. Allow the squirrel to wean itself. It usually happens around 10-12 weeks.

Many folks on this sight use Henrys rodent blocks from Henrys Pets online, but I understand that shipping costs plus the cost of the block can make it cost prohibitive. Another good quality rodent block is made by Envigo Teklad, the 2018 variety. It can be purchased on Amazon as well, and may be more economical. Provide the block with a water bottle, like for a hamster, in the cage while still feeding formula. Your baby will learn to eat the block, but it may take awhile. Once you see the block being eaten then you can offer vegetables and limited fruits from this list. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels.

I’m not sure what other brands of rodent block are available in the UK. Here’s some names other than Envigo Teklad, that folks have used. Search for Oxbow Regal Rat and Mazuri rodent block. You want a hard, pellet block, not something that has colored small pieces mixed with seeds. This type is definitely not good for squirrels.

Here is a link on Amazon for hanging fleece beds that squirrels love. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Hanging+a...f=nb_sb_noss_2 You can cut up some old soft blankets or t shirts and put them inside the cube for him to snuggle in.

Yes, we recommend interacting with them. It will make him easier to handle as he gets older. Don’t take him outside, unless he’s in a secure cage as he could runaway. I like to let my guys explore in a limited space like a bathroom or bedroom. Just be sure there’s no holes under cabinets or in the walls he can get lost in.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

island rehabber (09-11-2021), KCullen (10-27-2021)

Yes, what she said up there

I believe the attitude toward grey squirrels in the UK is extremely hostile -- they are culled whenever possible? Is there no safe place to release your boy should he want to be wild? If not, we have tons of information here on TSB about enrichment, housing, and health care for an Eastern Grey. We love to answer questions, and we love pix!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

KCullen (10-27-2021), Mel1959 (09-13-2021)