Thread: Inflamed penis - use of Neosporin

Default Inflamed penis - use of Neosporin

I got a baby squirrel yesterday, one eye open at the time, the other eye opened today, so I guess about 6 weeks old and weighing 72g today. The friend I got him from started him on Baytril 2 days ago as he is clicking and breathing very fast. He also has a scab on the tip of his penis which seems to be obstructing unrination. I have applied warm compresses to his abdominal area every 3 hours and am assisting him to urinate by pulling his penis gently and applying Vaseline every 3 hours after the warm compresses. When I got him yesterday his penis was very swollen with a red tip right behind the scab. The swelling has gone down, but I still have to assist him urinating by gently pulling his penis. Apart from the swelling there is a spot just beside the opening that looks yellow/puss.

Can I apply Neosporin to the tip of his penis? Any other advise please?

He is on Fox Valley every 4 hours and although he does not embrace the nipple he happily swallows the formula.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by IngridStrydom; 08-25-2021 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Additional photo, more info

Default Re: Inflamed penis - use of Neosporin

Quote Originally Posted by IngridStrydom View Post
    I got a baby squirrel yesterday, one eye open at the time, the other eye opened today, so I guess about 6 weeks old and weighing 72g today. The friend I got him from started him on Baytril 2 days ago as he is clicking and breathing very fast. He also has a scab on the tip of his penis which seems to be obstructing unrination. I have applied warm compresses to his abdominal area every 3 hours and am assisting him to urinate by pulling his penis gently and applying Vaseline every 3 hours after the warm compresses. When I got him yesterday his penis was very swollen with a red tip right behind the scab. The swelling has gone down, but I still have to assist him urinating by gently pulling his penis. Apart from the swelling there is a spot just beside the opening that looks yellow/puss.

Can I apply Neosporin to the tip of his penis? Any other advise please?

He is on Fox Valley every 4 hours and although he does not embrace the nipple he happily swallows the formula.
    You will need to get the scab off. Soak with warm water to soften, loosen, and remove it completely.
    Packing a thick paste of sugar and water around the penis works wonders for reducing the swelling.
    Yes, I would apply the neosporin lightly keeping it re-freshed to the head of his penis.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

IngridStrydom (08-25-2021)