Thread: need antibiotics for AP. using colloidal silver over the weekend till vet opens Mon.

Default need antibiotics for AP. using colloidal silver over the weekend till vet opens Mon.

I have had Lucy for 9 days. she was probably 4-5 days old when she was brought to me. I started looking at this forum and read about clicking noises. I then put Lucy to my ear and heard clicking. She is eating just fine and wiggles like a worm. she is moving and climbing. I have been giving her colloidal silver since I heard the clicking yesterday. I need to know what kind of antibiotics that I need to get for her and how much to dose her. I weighed her last night at 1.1 oz. she has gained approximately .7 oz since she has been here. I am trying to upload a picture to no avail. Please advise on meds and dosing, preferably 2 options incase the vet does not carry one of them. Thank you PS..I have some amoxicillan up to date in the fridge and powdered fortiflora.

Default Re: need antibiotics for AP. using colloidal silver over the weekend till vet opens M

Is the clicking persistent / non stop?

Clavamox and Baytril are two go to meds for Aspiration Pneumonia.

Default Re: need antibiotics for AP. using colloidal silver over the weekend till vet opens M

i am going to vet. hopefully i can get. i also have doxy 100 mg tablets.

Exclamation Re: need antibiotics for AP. using colloidal silver over the weekend till vet opens M

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post
    i am going to vet. hopefully i can get. i also have doxy 100 mg tablets.
    Make certain the doxycycline is not expired. This medication / antibiotic actually breaks down and can become toxic over time. If it is expired, or there is any doubt, toss it out...

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

she clicks when i pick her up. i dont handle her except for feeding. she is tiny and i want her to stay warm. i have her in a small kennel. i found my stethascopes so i will try to listen without waking her

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

Spanky
    i listened to Lucy with my stethascope and heard clicking. i took her up to the vet minutes away from me. he listened with a super duper stethoscope. he said her heart sounded strong and her lungs sounded clear. he also said that he did not hear any clicking. he gave me about .4ml of clavamox to bring home and put in the fridge incase i needed it. he said 1 drop 2x a day if needed. he said i would see clear mucous if aspirated and if that was infected that it would be yellow..coming from her nose. he said he doesnt know a lot about squirrels. how does that sound to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post
    Spanky
    i listened to Lucy with my stethascope and heard clicking. i took her up to the vet minutes away from me. he listened with a super duper stethoscope. he said her heart sounded strong and her lungs sounded clear. he also said that he did not hear any clicking. he gave me about .4ml of clavamox to bring home and put in the fridge incase i needed it. he said 1 drop 2x a day if needed.
    he said i would see clear mucous if aspirated and if that was infected that it would be yellow..coming from her nose.

he said he doesnt know a lot about squirrels. how does that sound to you?
    Not true!
    Most vets are domestic vets and no, they don't know much about squirrels or wildlife in general.
    Hold her chest right to your ear as one would do with an (older version) phone and listen to her breaths.
    Does she click with each breath both inhale and exhale?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator