Thread: Unexpected stork special delivery

Default Unexpected stork special delivery

Hay. I found this little guy Aug 16 on the pavement of a road. Found a sibling that was still and apparently dead in the grass nearby. He was still moving so I took him right home and spent the rest of the afternoon/evening bussing and walking to PetCo before it closed for the day to get some Esbilac liquid puppy formula. It's made a lot of progress in three days, pigmented and the beginnings of fur (I think), no sign of bloating or dehydration, stronger, wiggly little bastard. I thought it might be an aborted or premature dog fetus, but the veterinarian said it was probably a squirrel. In addition to the (barely discernable) squeak sounds it makes when hungry, it also occasionally makes these odd 'beep' sounds. I can't tell which end they're coming from.

http://www.afafa.org/Unlinked/Day0-3.mp4

Are those burps? Farts? Or just happily full of milk contented baby squirrel sounds?

Also, regarding feeding, should I just push the formula down the little bastard's throat at a controlled rate of ~1 cc/min (until it moves it's head back and away from the 'nipple' indicating 'No mas!')? It refuses to open its mouth anymore when it's evidently had enough milk for the current feeding. I try to give it about 1-2 cc each feeding every 3-4 hours on average.

Please advise. Thx

Default Re: Unexpected stork special delivery

Feeding is dictated by weight, I am attaching a cheat sheet. You should not need to force feed him, it could be the formula is not the right temp (or the wrong formula)... what formula are you feeding?

Whereabouts are you in Georgia? I am in GA, but extreme NE. Babies do better with other babies, so we might be able to find a similar aged group if you'd be okay with that?

Attached Images Attached Images

Pinkies should be fed with a 1/2 or 1 cc slip tip syringe. Never use a 3 cc syringe. (You can likely get them at the pharmacy if you don't have one. Tell them you are feeding a baby bunny.)

Here is a link to a video showing good feeding technique and good feeding technique is the best way to prevent problems. Force feeding the squirrel has a good chance of killing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLjR...relsandmorellc

Here is a link to the first page of six page baby squirrel care guide.

https://henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

You will also want to get a digital food scale, if you don't have one or can't borrow one. They can be had for less than $20. This will tell you whether it is thriving and very much necessary to calculate the proper amount of formula to give.

Babies are fed at 5% of body weight. The math is simple: .05 x (squirrel's weight in grams) = (weight in grams of formula per feeding session). Each cc of formula weighs approximately 1 gram.

How much does the baby weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by TJOnline View Post
    Hay. I found this little guy Aug 16 on the pavement of a road. Found a sibling that was still and apparently dead in the grass nearby. He was still moving so I took him right home and spent the rest of the afternoon/evening bussing and walking to PetCo before it closed for the day to get some Esbilac liquid puppy formula. It's made a lot of progress in three days, pigmented and the beginnings of fur (I think), no sign of bloating or dehydration, stronger, wiggly little bastard. I thought it might be an aborted or premature dog fetus, but the veterinarian said it was probably a squirrel. In addition to the (barely discernable) squeak sounds it makes when hungry, it also occasionally makes these odd 'beep' sounds. I can't tell which end they're coming from.
    http://www.afafa.org/Unlinked/Day0-3.mp4
    Are those burps? Farts? Or just happily full of milk contented baby squirrel sounds?
    Also, regarding feeding, should I just push the formula down the little bastard's throat at a controlled rate of ~1 cc/min (until it moves it's head back and away from the 'nipple' indicating 'No mas!')? It refuses to open its mouth anymore when it's evidently had enough milk for the current feeding. I try to give it about 1-2 cc each feeding every 3-4 hours on average.
    Please advise. Thx
    Unfortunately the obvious has been missed here, the liquid formula is not good! It is not the same as the powdered Esbilac and will eventually cause this pinky to become a failure to thrive. You need to stop using it, give hydration to flush it's system and get him started on the proper formula asap!
    You must get a weight (preferably in grams) to know how much you should be or not be feeding each time, it' is that important
    For example: If this pink is between 1-2 weeks old it should range between 20-40 grams and be taking between 0.75-1cc formula every 2-3 hours with at least 1 feeding at night. A 2-3 week old would average 40-60 grams, taking 2-3 cc's every 3 hours.

I assume your joking about pushing the formula down it's throat. However, be advised if baby were to take it's formula too fast, choke on it, or have it come out nose it is at risk for aspiration pneumonia which will take them down and out fast! Ap is usually apparent/ followed by a clicking sound when it breathes. When this happens administering an antibiotic is the only thing that will save it's life. We always suggest looking/checking around to see what you can come up with in case needed. Human ab's will work depending on the med. For a squirrel all that is needed would be a pill or two.

Do read the link on baby squirrel care, it can be a HUGE help.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Feeding is dictated by weight, I am attaching a cheat sheet. You should not need to force feed him, it could be the formula is not the right temp (or the wrong formula)... what formula are you feeding?

Whereabouts are you in Georgia? I am in GA, but extreme NE. Babies do better with other babies, so we might be able to find a similar aged group if you'd be okay with that?

Hi. I'm not sure what the cheat sheet is telling me. Grams is the critter's body weight. 5%-7% is the percentage of body weight that I should feed him per feeding? Do you have a weight to volume conversion factor? And which percentage do I choose? I'm near Decatur, just east of Atlanta. I agree that it would be best for him that he learn how to live in the wild like other squirrels. As of today, I estimate that he's nearly 2 weeks old. I plan to keep him at least until his eyes open.

I don't force feed him. I'm careful to observe if he is comfortable with the rate that I'm injecting milk into his mouth. I meant only that I must force milk out of the syringe and into his mouth, otherwise he gets no milk. I encourage him to open his mouth by pushing the syringe plunger until there's a little meniscus of milk at the tip that I touch to his 'lips' waiting for him to taste it and open wide. Sometimes it takes a little patience, but once he get's started, he's a good eater/drinker. He promptly goes to sleep when his belly is full and I usually must pause during a feeding, since he often yawns in the midst of a feeding. I also notice that if I gently caress his back or otherwise attend to him and then stop, he will stay stock still and then almost invariably three seconds later he will begin wiggling again with a jump. One can see a survival instinct showing itself - be still while mommy does her mommy things (some unmentionable) for me, otherwise she might move on to my next littermate too soon, if I squirm too much, and I'd be at a competitive disadvantage with my littermates.

He also demonstrates that odd characteristic of dogs that if I caress him at just the right place, a hind leg will exhibit the reflexive doggie scratching behavior. Cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Pinkies should be fed with a 1/2 or 1 cc slip tip syringe. Never use a 3 cc syringe. (You can likely get them at the pharmacy if you don't have one. Tell them you are feeding a baby bunny.)

Here is a link to a video showing good feeding technique and good feeding technique is the best way to prevent problems. Force feeding the squirrel has a good chance of killing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLjR...relsandmorellc

Here is a link to the first page of six page baby squirrel care guide.

https://henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

You will also want to get a digital food scale, if you don't have one or can't borrow one. They can be had for less than $20. This will tell you whether it is thriving and very much necessary to calculate the proper amount of formula to give.

Babies are fed at 5% of body weight. The math is simple: .05 x (squirrel's weight in grams) = (weight in grams of formula per feeding session). Each cc of formula weighs approximately 1 gram.

Ok. Spanky's cheat sheet makes more sense now. Thanks for the info. He's about 1.2 ounces right now and progressing normally so far, judging by the following:Name:  ages.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  77.4 KB

Thanks everyone here at the squirrel underground railroad. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Unfortunately the obvious has been missed here, the liquid formula is not good! It is not the same as the powdered Esbilac and will eventually cause this pinky to become a failure to thrive. You need to stop using it, give hydration to flush it's system and get him started on the proper formula asap!
    You must get a weight (preferably in grams) to know how much you should be or not be feeding each time, it' is that important
    For example: If this pink is between 1-2 weeks old it should range between 20-40 grams and be taking between 0.75-1cc formula every 2-3 hours with at least 1 feeding at night. A 2-3 week old would average 40-60 grams, taking 2-3 cc's every 3 hours.

I assume your joking about pushing the formula down it's throat. However, be advised if baby were to take it's formula too fast, choke on it, or have it come out nose it is at risk for aspiration pneumonia which will take them down and out fast! Ap is usually apparent/ followed by a clicking sound when it breathes. When this happens administering an antibiotic is the only thing that will save it's life. We always suggest looking/checking around to see what you can come up with in case needed. Human ab's will work depending on the med. For a squirrel all that is needed would be a pill or two.

Do read the link on baby squirrel care, it can be a HUGE help.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/
    Thanks. I do not force formula down his throat. I try to push it out of the syringe into his mouth at a rate that he appears comfortable with (i.e. read your rodent). I have had a few episodes of the milk coming out of his nose, although it hasn't appeared to be a real concern. I was (blush) feeding him from a miniature Visine bottle, which has a rounded tip. But to keep air bubbles out, I'd have to tilt it downward. Since then I've gotten a 1cc syringe, but the tip is much less nipple-like. I've ordered rubber nipples and Day One 20/50 from Fox Valley. I would like to have an antibiotic ready in case he begins to fail. What would you recommend as far as antibiotics go? Can that be found at a PetCo? Or should I ask my veterinarian?

Ok, ok. I'll switch over to powdered Esbilac. Is that goat or puppy variety?

It's inspiring to see so many show such concern for critters that are so often road kill, hunted for sport or food in some places. I think you all are awash in baby-so-cute mammalian instinct. Lol.

Name:  Esbilac.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  37.7 KB

Which of these is recommended, please. OK. Powder. Not liquid. Goat or puppy? Thx. He's becoming one expensive little near road kill. But that's ok. He's my silly baby for now. Lol. Wish I could just keep him. Is there a way to litterbox train a squirrel? I want a little pal like this guy has and still be in compliance with the law.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FguJaOyeuBs

Ok, ok. I'll switch over to powdered Esbilac. Is that goat or puppy variety?
    Name:  CorrectEsbilac.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  149.9 KB

Wish I could just keep him. Is there a way to litterbox train a squirrel? I want a little pal like this guy has and still be in compliance with the law.

You cannot keep him as a pet and be in compliance with the law in Georgia. If you are discovered, they will either euthanize or "hard released"
    the squirrel (almost surely a death sentence, especially if it is an older adult). I will also say that healthy, adult squirrels do not make good pets. I know it seems a novelty right now, but if they were good pets... wouldn't more folks have pet squirrels? Adult squirrels can wild up (usually happens between 12 - 18 months) and become very dangerous, attacking other people, even if they remain friendly with you. And there are plenty of examples here on the board of the squirrel attacking the ones that raised them.

If you soft release him at your home and you are lucky he will stay close by and visit you often. Sometimes they even split their time between over-nighting outdoors and over-nighting inside with you.

Full disclosure: I am an opponent to anyone keeping a healthy squirrel as a pet; it is wrong for the squirrel as we can never give them a life in the trees they were born to live.
    Animals_SquirrelsAreNotPets.pdf

Antibiotics: If the vet will provide Baytril or Clavamox (ask him not to add the water to the Clavamox, but give you those instructions to add if needed). Otherwise Baytril can be bought here:
    https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Name:  CorrectEsbilac.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  149.9 KB

You cannot keep him as a pet and be in compliance with the law in Georgia. If you are discovered, they will either euthanize or "hard released"
    the squirrel (almost surely a death sentence, especially if it is an older adult). I will also say that healthy, adult squirrels do not make good pets. I know it seems a novelty right now, but if they were good pets... wouldn't more folks have pet squirrels? Adult squirrels can wild up (usually happens between 12 - 18 months) and become very dangerous, attacking other people, even if they remain friendly with you. And there are plenty of examples here on the board of the squirrel attacking the ones that raised them.

If you soft release him at your home and you are lucky he will stay close by and visit you often. Sometimes they even split their time between over-nighting outdoors and over-nighting inside with you.

Full disclosure: I am an opponent to anyone keeping a healthy squirrel as a pet; it is wrong for the squirrel as we can never give them a life in the trees they were born to live.
    Animals_SquirrelsAreNotPets.pdf

Antibiotics: If the vet will provide Baytril or Clavamox (ask him not to add the water to the Clavamox, but give you those instructions to add if needed). Otherwise Baytril can be bought here:
    https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10
    I understand and agree, Spanky. And thanks for your knowledge and good information. Did you have any contact info as to who might be in a position to humanely re-inculturate this little guy with his squirrely peers?

PUPPY. Not the goats milk.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    PUPPY. Not the goats milk.
    I have the curious feeling that you administrators are squirrels yourselves! Fight the powah! Lol.

Name:  squirrel smartphone.jpe
Views: 44
Size:  6.8 KB

Name:  squirrel lives matter.jpe
Views: 42
Size:  11.3 KB

Help! Help! Any luck finding a home for my little Rocky? He's about three weeks old now, getting fuzzy and growing like a weed and can push wooden frame pieces ten times his weight around. He's taking over!