Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help needed

Default Re: Help needed

The photo is helpful but lacks some detail and perspective. I tried to enlarge it but it "pixelated out." If you could obtain at least one "full Kevin" view with the wound site included so it can be seen where specifically the wounds are located and several more close ups from different angles and perspectives it may be more helpful. Do the wounds appear to be lacerations or healing lacerations, abrasions or even burns? Is it possible that Kevin was attacked by another animal such as a cat? IF so and by a cat; there is a particular bacterium present in cat's mouths called Pasteurella that commonly causes infection in bitten animals and humans. Fortunately, the Augmentin your are administering to Kevin will cover Pateurella and many other bacteria as well. The unsteadiness you mentioned may actually be related to an injury and if this scenario is accurate, a fracture is also a possibility. Unfortunately, this would likely need to be diagnosed by an x-ray study which may prove difficult to obtain in a State where captive wildlife is illegal. I doubt that Kevin has become "acutely" malnourished and even if she was malnourished, you are now supplementing her intake with Squirrel Block "gruel" compliments of CritterMom! Unsteadiness may also be associated with infection which I still suspect is a factor with Kevin but unsteadiness can be associated with many other conditions including direct trauma, neurologic injury (head or nerve injury), poisoning, and many others. Overall, it seems that Kevin is slowly improving and obviously that is very good news! Please keep on with the antibiotics and fluids. It's definitely good strategy to keep the "gruel" going as not only is Kevin getting nutritional support with this, she is also getting supplemental fluids; but please continue directly supplementing fluids with readily available water and the formula.
    Best regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

You ARE diluting the betadyne like I told you, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    You ARE diluting the betadyne like I told you, aren't you?
    Yes 1/4 cup water 25 drops, three times a day

How is Kevin doing?

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

Diggie's Friend (08-27-2021)

Name:  IMG_1838.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  34.7 KBName:  IMG_1840.JPG
Views: 64
Size:  31.1 KBName:  IMG_1841.JPG
Views: 63
Size:  37.8 KBName:  IMG_1843.JPG
Views: 63
Size:  29.8 KB

Here are some more body shots, the area is the back left leg, hard to see, but still the same as before, very hard scabbed areas. Which I think is good and healing, but aroudn then skin appears that deep red and appears irritated, I have not done the Betadyne anymore, stopped for about two days now. She is seeming to get better, climbing a lot, eating more yesterday. Jumping on us.

Today, way more tired, did not eat nearly as much as yesterday, did not really want to run around as much but was pretty active for about two hours.

Just not sure what else to do about the deep redness and scabs etc. Obviously I want to get her back outside asap, she is still taking the antibiotics.

Thank you

In the wild, tree squirrels have been observed pulling up tufts of grass, that they flip over to chew on the soil that surrounds the roots. This soil isn't just a source of various vital minerals, but also of good gut bacteria vital to their digestion of foods in their diet. Since over 70 percent of their whole body's immune system residing in the colony of, 'microbiotia' located in their gut, tree squirrels in captive care need a replacement source of, "soil based organisms", that doesn't include various bad forms of bacteria, or worms and worm eggs, which soils also may contain.

When giving antibiotics, including prebiotics with probiotics, aka:symbiotics, in the diet can help to fortify the gut with essential good digestive bacteria by offsetting the death that AB can cause in both good and bad bacterial forms.

"Pet Flora" is a source of good, 'soil based' digestive bacteria, prebiotics and probiotics for small mammals in human care. It has been used to support digestion and immune health of some tree squirrels in captive care. It may also serve to increase the appetite of this squirrel. Add (1/32 Tsp.) to a moist food daily.

https://www.amazon.com/Vitality-Scie.../dp/B005PJN2HO

In addition, organic food grade chia oil is a significant booster of immune health; it has both anti-inflammatory and anti oxidant properties. "Foods Alive", a human grade source of organic chia oil (never feed carrier oils, as they aren't for animal or human consumption) is available online. Their small 4 oz. size is very affordable. This source was found to improve the appetite of squirrels for rodent block when a few drops of the oil was added to it.

https://foodsalive.com/products/orga...il-foods-alive

Hello again:
    I'm glad that overall, Kevin seems to be improving. It is certainly possible that the Betadine caused irritation from skin sensitivity to it although the final solution made with the Betadine was really quite dilute and I suspect the Betadine was not the issue and that she is simply improving. As Kevin has been without the Betadine for 2 days and doing somewhat better, it is probably ok to "continue its discontinuation." The wounds look suspiciously like attack wounds and as they are toward Kevin's rear end this seems to add evidence for this as maybe Kevin was trying to escape from a predator such as a cat. From your report of Kevin running about and being quite a bit more active, my earlier concerns about the possibility of an accompanying fracture now seem unlikely! It is probably ok to apply a thin layer of Bacitracin ointment over the scabs as that may soften them to some extent and help keep them from breaking open when Kevin moves her extremities as often happens if scabs are relatively large. This helps prevent interrupting the healing process occurring underneath the scabs until it is fully complete as this process must begin again to some extent when scabs are prematurely disturbed. If you elect to use thin applications of Bacitracin ointment, please use only the clear plain Bacitracin ointment (available Over-the-Counter) without any other medication and specifically avoid Triple Antibiotic or any antibiotic ointment containing Neomycin (Triple antibiotic, Neomycin as examples). This recommendation is based upon the fact that neomycin is commonly associated with skin sensitivity in humans. I can't find any evidence either way in rodents but I refrain from using any topical antibiotic beside Bacitracin ointment on injured or sutured Squirrels but I have freely used Bacitracin without any problems. As far as the Clavamox Kevin is taking; it has only been 4 days it was started. It may be optimal to use it for 3 more days and if there are no signs of infection, then discontinue it. I assume the excessive warmth (fever) you reported before has resolved. You may have noticed on the internet that Clavamox (Augmentin) has had some "negative press" from some Veterinarians and others but it is a very effective medication for Squirrels with skin infections or cat bites. The reason some have said to avoid this in rodents is probably because at least in some species of rodents, there has been diarrhea resulting from its usage. This is certainly a possibility in Squirrels as well, but there is plenty of evidence in Rat literature and in Squirrel literature (TSB) that Clavamox is quite safe. If Kevin does develop diarrhea, it is probably because the normal and usually beneficial gut bacteria have been in part killed and their normal balance changed because of the Clavamox. There are some notes on TSB suggesting that Soil Based Organisms (essentially soil Probiotics) may be of some benefit and it's certainly an option but currently, it seems that Kevin is pooping normally. Please keep her hydrated keep on supplementation with the HHBs as it is essential that Kevin receives adequate calcium and other nutrients and let us know in the next day or so (or sooner!) how she is doing!
    Thanks and regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

I was writing a response and didn't realize that Diggies Friend had already posted some comments about SBOs. DR has posted much valuable information on Squirrel Nutrition throughout TSB! I don't know how to edit my posts or I would have removed my SBO references as DR's comments were much more comprehensive than my own.
    SamtheSquirrel

No problem SamtheSquirrel; no need to edit on that account.

Only Adm. can edit posts after 15 min. Prior to this members can edit their own posts by clicking on edit. if you are running out of time, then you can click on Delete on the Lt. side of the page, and again on the other delete box on right hand corner also, which will delete your post. Then you can redo your post. Should you wait too long you may run out of time to do the edit. DF

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (08-25-2021)

How is Kevin doing?
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123