Thread: Run a regular pet animal rescue, now a squirrel got added to the mix

Default Run a regular pet animal rescue, now a squirrel got added to the mix

I run an animal rescue that takes care of "normal" pets. We get a few emergency calls, and we come out to handle them, but this is the first time I've seen one as it unfolded. I was driving and waiting at a large intersection when two crows flew over it at a diagonal. One was flapping a lot and flying very slowly, because it was holding something small and struggling. I daw them land in a gravel lot and start to peck at something... I ran out of my car and scared them off. I then found a baby squirrel. When I picked her up she started screaming. The crows were not too good at what they did because so far, she only had a little scratch on her leg. When I left the crows came back to look for her...

I never thought I would be joining a squirrel forum, but here I am!

Edit: I also took all my pics after I saved her...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lightwell:

Chirps (08-16-2021), Diggie's Friend (08-16-2021), Nancy in New York (08-16-2021), Rock Monkey (08-15-2021), Snicker Bar (08-16-2021)

Default Re: Run a regular pet animal rescue, now a squirrel got added to the mix

Aw. Thank goodness YOU were there!

Do you need help or info? Baby should be eating Esbilac POWDERED puppy formula sold at chain pet stores. Don't get the liquid, don't get Goats milk Esbilac, don't buy any other brands.

Absolutely top notch Emergency handbook for raising baby squirrels: https://henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/ It is 5 or 6 pages long and really excellent. The site is also a go to for supplies and their food is what most of us use.

So precious! How long have you had her?

Default Re: Run a regular pet animal rescue, now a squirrel got added to the mix

That happened monday, so 6 days now. I did feed her canned puppy milk for 3 feedings. Then I got my squirrel milk in the mail the next day, and she has had that since. Squirrels bottle feed better than any other animals Ive had to bottlefeed.

My only concern is if she is pooping enough. No guide mentions that! I asked over in the baby squirrel section. She only poops 1 turd a day that I see, so she either eats them, is constipated, or that's normal. She pees just fine. Shes grown a a lot, and doesnt appear bloated.

What is her weight? How often do you feed and how much? What formula are you using? Please use a syringe, not a bottle to feed - the danger of aspiration is really high for these guys.

You need to stimulate to make her poop, before and after each feeding. I like to use a small flat watercolor brush which you can really regulate the pressure and simulates mom's tongue but you can use what you are comfortable with. They don't begin to poop on their own until about a week after the eyes open and even then, helping them along is recommended.

106 grams. Feeding her 30-35 cc a day. Average of a 4 hour difference in feedings. I use the fox valley squirrel formula. I use a ml syringe with a nipple attachment. I have fed over 400 kittens by bottle and dropper.

I have been using toliet paper dipped in warm water and she pees just fine. I only get about 1 turd a day though.