Thread: Help. Need anti-diarrheal dosing info

Default Help. Need anti-diarrheal dosing info

5 1/2 month old female fox squirrel
    Current weight 662g down from 690g
    Two fecal smears done at different vets both negative for parasites or coccidia.
    She started having mucusy diarrhea with small amount of blood about 2 weeks ago. Had first fecal smear done. It was negative. Removed some items from daily diet and it began to improve, somewhat formed but never the pellets as before. Some days she feels better than others which seems to coincide with the looseness of her stool, which dictates her appetite. Stool also has coloring of whatever food she has eaten. Thought perhaps fecal wasn’t thoroughly examined so went ahead and dewormed with pyrantel pamoate. No change.
    Have read through the message board and tried canned pumpkin. It seemed to help a little but she would not eat it again.
    Had second fecal smear done at a different vets office. Same results- negative for everything.
    We offer her an assortment of foods and until this started she liked most things. Every morning she gets broccoli and cauliflower and after she eats most of that she gets one HHB. The remainder of the day we offer her an assortment of veggies and another block or two from Henry’s. She gets a small amount of fruit each day and maybe once a week we offer her an almond. We were taking her outside to play once a day until she started having this problem.
    Still drinking plenty of water but her appetite is not consistent.
    Not legal to have her as a pet in my state and would have to drive 3 hours each direction to take her to a vet I knew for certain would not cause any problems for us.
    Please PM with dosing info

Default Re: Help. Need anti-diarrheal dosing info

Pm sent.
    I noticed you say you feed veggies first then block? Block should be fed first.
    Some veggies can actually aid diarrhea as will fruit. You need to keep track of
    ones that may be prolonging the situation and eliminate what you can at least
    until the diarrhea resolves.
    Had she been eating on something outside that could have created the diarrhea?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Default Re: Help. Need anti-diarrheal dosing info

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Pm sent.
    I noticed you say you feed veggies first then block? Block should be fed first.
    Some veggies can actually aid diarrhea as will fruit. You need to keep track of
    ones that may be prolonging the situation and eliminate what you can at least
    until the diarrhea resolves.
    Had she been eating on something outside that could have created the diarrhea?
    She plays in a clump of 15’ tall redbuds in the backyard or a single oak in the front. She has started going to the ground more often but I usually take her back inside as soon as she does that because we live in the middle of the woods and have problems with copperheads this time of the year. I guess it’s possible she got hold of something that her tummy isn’t used to. We watch her closely but since both fecals came back negative, I’m thinking she probably got hold of something that we didn’t see. It could have happened inside too- we keep things put away but they are like toddlers and find things you didn’t even know you had. We believe we have caught all of her discoveries and taken them away immediately.
    Yes, have always given her veggies first thing in the morning and then the first of her blocks for the day. She had become quite a butterball during the weaning process. We used a variety of the Henry’s blocks to transition her to solid food. That was all she wanted to eat after weaning and I was afraid she wasn’t getting enough veggies. The veggie breakfast seemed to work well before this unexplained bout of diarrhea.
    The only thing that really changed just before she got sick was we built a new indoor enclosure for her because she outgrew the other. I put fresh branches in every few days. Mostly oak, redbud, and hickory. I shake them off good to make sure I don’t carry bugs into the house. The new enclosure is built of rough sawn pine from the local sawmill and 1/4” galvanized hardware cloth. There are no signs of her chewing on any part of it. It’s 4’x4’x8’ tall. She only stays in it at night and when we can’t supervise her during the day. She sleeps and hangs out in a backpack that we move around the house or into her enclosure. The only thing she ever steals and stashes are my daughters hair ribbons. Never chews on them, just uses them as bedding in her backpack.
    Thank you for the dosing info. Will update.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Clementine2 from:

stepnstone (08-14-2021)