Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Red and Taz

Default Re: Greetings from Red and Taz

Almost forgot, thought everyone would get a kick out of this.

Ordered a new bag of HT2018....went to get it out of the fridge to make more boo balls...this is what I found.

Name:  Squirrel Biscuits.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  80.0 KB

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Taz2020:

Chirps (11-09-2021), HRT4SQRLS (11-08-2021), Mel1959 (11-09-2021)

Taz2020, thanks for a much needed laugh today. I was a little under the weather today and coupled with a FL cold blast today
    … the high was like 72 … I went back and read Taz and Red’s entire thread. I caught myself literally laughing out loud.

Just reading it made me feel so much better.

I hope you’ll consider writing that book. The way you tell a story is a riot.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Mel1959 (11-08-2021)

I, too, just read through this thread. You are a wonderful writer and had me laughing out loud many times.

I’m a little late to the party, but have a few suggestions for your awesome outside enclosure. It looks a little stark to me. I’d add some platforms high up close to the roof for laying on. The space between the roof and the platform should be big enough for them to stand up without hitting their heads on the roof. I didn’t see any wooden nest box or hanging cubes in there. I like to provide both in the cage.

Because you have such a large area inside, have you considered buying an inexpensive cat tree off Amazon and putting it in the middle of the enclosure where it won’t get wet? They even make cat trees with cheezy enclosed areas at the top, which would never accommodate any of my cats, but might be perfect for tiny red squirrels. You could stuff the inside with fleece or some type of bedding.

Hanging toys can be a hit. If you buy hanging toys for parrots it will give Taz and Red some safe chewing opportunities. We have a member, Milos Mom, that makes fleece hanging cubes, hammocks and assorted bedding for squirrels. She also sells stuffed toys that are attached to a springy piece of fleece covered elastic. Some squirrels like to jump on them and wrestle/attack them. Her online website is Auntie MM’s Custom Boutique. I’m not sure how much sewing she’s doing these days as she’s opened a rehab facility, but worth looking into.

And lastly (I know..finally, right?) I would cover a couple sides of the enclosure…..the two sides perpendicular to your house, except for the door, obviously. A while ago Home Depot used to sell these really cool 4’x8’ sheets of 1/16” thick heavy plastic that are printed with camouflage design on one side. They are used for building duck blinds or enclosing tree stands for hunters. sniff. Not all Home Depot’s sell them. I found them at a store that’s 1 1/2 hours away. Here’s a link to what I’m referring to. https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MygIegUIARDNAQ

I’m attaching some pictures of the inside of my outdoor enclosure. Note the well-chewed corner platform, it was a favorite place to “pancake”. The white thing on the branch is a marrow bone. I place them throughout the trees and on my feeding platform for the wilds to chew on.

You can see the camo sheets in the photo and that I provide a pretty enclosed enclosure. This is my release cage so there’s a couple of reasons for this…I have a sprinkler system that HAS to run periodically in the summer if I want to have grass. I don’t want the water to spray inside the enclosure. My feeding station is right next to the portal door which is right beside an oak tree. I find that the squirrels inside the release cage can interact but by giving them some protection they don’t feel threatened. And….my neighbor has a dog and his fence butts right up to my cage. I didn’t want the squirrels freaking out by being able to see him.

I hope any, or all, of this helps. Please don’t shoot the messenger.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thank you both!

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been under the weather HRT; thank you for letting me know I was able to lighten your day a bit. It actually made my day!

Unlike many of those here, there is very little squirrel wisdom I can contribute to this board; prior to last year, my experience with squirrels was pretty much limited to “and after that we had to….oh look a squirrel!” (this was often followed by a brake pumping, tire squealing maneuver that would have made Ken Block impressed). So, knowing that maybe in a small way I can lighten someone’s day or put a smile on someone’s face helps me feel like I’m contributing at least something.

For those that are curious as to what squirrel wisdom I have gleaned after 18 months of being a squirrel parent…

1. Do not undress with abandon when getting ready for bed, it is best to undress cautiously and carefully. Food items covertly hidden in various parts of one’s clothing can become small missiles if said clothing is removed with too much enthusiasm. Nuts in the shell are particularly dangerous as they become speeding projectiles that tend to ricochet and are unpredictable in their trajectory.

2. Black walnuts in the shell (or any nut in the shell for that matter, but especially black walnuts) will not flush down the toilet and flushing of said nuts should be avoided at all costs. Flushed nuts, particularly large nuts will often require separating the toilet from its preferred spot attached to the floor to remove the wedged and uncooperative nut from the bowels of the commode. This can best be avoided by relieving oneself in a timely manner, allowing the individual time to check oneself for nuts hidden within the waistband of their clothing prior to relieving themselves.

3. Boo balls that have been unknowingly hidden away in a pocket will turn into something akin to Liquid Nails when subjected to a washing and drying cycle. It takes a minimum of three additional wash cycles to break down this formidable composition.

4. Nuts in the shell do not taste like “roasted nuts” after they’ve been through the washer and dryer.

5. It is best to have a face ID screen lock on one’s phone. It is also a good idea to close out all applications immediately after using them. Nosy squirrels delight in playing on unlocked phones and will inadvertently send text messages or purchase items off Amazon if said applications are left open and unattended. They will also decimate any winning streaks one currently has on Candy Crush or Fishdom. Squirrels are not very good at these games.

6. Squirrels do not like being woken up multiple times during the night to make sure they’re okay or that they’re not eating each other (they become rather indigent). Surprisingly, squirrels can also do the squirrel equivalent of slamming and locking the bedroom door when woken up for the fifth time.

7. You will be peed and pooped on daily. It helps if this is taken as a sign of their affection for you and not that they view you as a mobile port-a-potty. If protecting one’s clothing is of paramount concern, Tyvek jumpsuits (pictured below) are an excellent option as they are resistant to liquids and are generally puncture resistance. They also double quite well as a sauna suit.

Name:  Tyvek.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  79.3 KB

That’s pretty much it as to my squirrel wisdom so far.

Speaking of squirrel wisdom, thanks Mel for the suggestions on the girls outside enclosure! I really do appreciate any and all suggestions. As evidenced above, my squirrel knowledge is subpar at best. Anytime I see a post with a picture of an enclosure I blow it up and study it for ideas, so your pictures and suggestions are very helpful.

I have a question on covering the sides of the enclosure; the back of my house faces north, if I cover the east and west sides of the enclosure (the sides that are perpendicular to my house) will the girls still get enough sunlight? I worry about them getting MBD, scurvy, rickets, scoliosis, or some other “osis” or disorder I can’t pronounce (I’m sure you’ve already noticed I tend to be…oh…a bit neurotic when it comes to the girls).

I have added some stuff to their outside enclosure, so it’s not quite as stark as it was, but I do like your suggestion of adding a cat tree to it. Initially I had a nest box in there, but took it out because the girls kept hiding perishable foods in it and the only way for me to get to it to clean it out was to drag my ladder in there (the girls really like the ladder, that’s actually their favorite “toys” when I have it in there, it’s also their favorite toy when I have it out in the house to work on things…I should probably add to my squirrel wisdom that little red squirrels + ladder + me on ladder = pain and cussing. On my part, not the squirrels, they are amazingly fast and can get out of the way of a falling body quite quickly. Anyway, nest box, I worried if I didn’t get the yucky food out of it fast enough they would eat it, get sick, I would panic, my better (and less panicy) half would have to put me on valium/Xanax drip, then I would miss work, and what if I became addicted to being on a valium/Xanax drip…I figured it would be easier if I just took it out.

Although I could add some those hanging fleece cube things…I could put them on a pulley system…then I wouldn’t need a ladder to check and clean them out…excellent suggestion Mel!

Here's the girls outside enclosure in it's current state:

Name:  Outside enclosure 4.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  141.1 KB

Name:  Outside enclosure 5.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  133.4 KB

Name:  Outside enclosure 7.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  134.6 KB

Name:  Outside enclosure 8.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  125.7 KB

Name:  Outside enclosure 9.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  124.3 KB

Name:  Outside enclosure 10.jpg
Size:  107.3 KB

And here's Red actually hanging out and chillin' outside in the enclosure....as long as I'm in there with her...

Name:  Red 3.jpg
Size:  100.4 KB

Are they out in the outside enough to get sun? Is there a particular time of day that they enjoy it out there? Maybe you could just cover a portion of the east and west panels that are closest to the house? That way with the back of the enclosure being up against the house it would feel a little less open but they could still get sun.

It really is an awesome HUGE enclosure for two tiny reds!

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Taz2020 (11-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz2020 View Post
    5. It is best to have a face ID screen lock on one’s phone. It is also a good idea to close out all applications immediately after using them. Nosy squirrels delight in playing on unlocked phones and will inadvertently send text messages or purchase items off Amazon if said applications are left open and unattended. They will also decimate any winning streaks one currently has on Candy Crush or Fishdom. Squirrels are not very good at these games.
    OMG this part had me
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Flushing nuts had me

The ‘wisdoms’ are so funny because, this is TRUTH! They absolutely will slam the door in your face. More than once I’ve witnessed the stuffing the door with fleece by an indignant squirrel. I think it’s the squirrel equivalent of ‘how dare you’ so it’s best not to try to sweet talk them.

For my birthday this summer my “adult” children got me this:

Name:  Nut sack.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  99.7 KB

They thought this was hilarious.

I believe they were imagining me traipsing through the forest like a deranged Disney princess singing and tossing nuts to all my forest dwelling squirrel friends.

Anyway, not remotely being a princess, Disney or otherwise, and only very mildly deranged, I figured I could put my new “nut sack” to good use. I promptly placed all loose nuts, as well and any free range (stashed) nuts in my nut sack as I found them.

I securely zipped my nut sack closed and stashed it in the pantry, feeling confidant my new nut sack would prevent my now captured nuts from escaping and becoming free range nuts. This is important as the girls have a very strong pro-free-range nut stance and have been caught on multiple occasions liberating nuts from captivity. They may have become nut activists.

Having rounded up and confined an impressive amount of nuts to my nut sack I was understandably perplexed when the girls started running around several weeks ago with nuts in their little mouths. While pondering this turn of events (did the girls start a secret underground nut railroad, did I miss a band of rogue nuts...), I was accosted by my reformed nut feeding other half.

“Have you been giving the girls nuts?”

“No…” I hesitantly turned around to see my not very happy other half standing there with hands on hips while Taz was enthusiastically attempting to bury a nut in her hair.

“Really? Then how do you explain this?” Pulling a nut from her waistband, which Taz promptly grabbed, and began looking for the “perfect” place to stash this newly exposed nut on my person.

“Nut coup?” Was all I could think of to say as I watched a nut fall from her head onto the floor.

“Uh-huh” I don’t think she bought the nut coup theory “I thought you had the nuts secured in your nut sack.”

“I do!” as I headed to the pantry, “they’re all right here in my nu…oh…”

“Oh?”

“Um, it seems someone has opened my nut sack…” I could hear the foot tapping behind me.

“So, all those nuts are now running around loose in the house?” This was not her happy voice.

“Well….nuts technically can’t run, so they’re not running…” and now I get the arms folded along with the tapping foot, *sigh* “yes, apparently we have a large band of rogue nuts running amok in the house.”

Thus began my search for the newly liberated band of nuts. Much to Red and Taz’s displeasure.
    The good news is that during my search for the contraband nuts I came across very few nut carcasses. It seems the girls were more intent on stashing the nuts than they were eating them. Searching all the “usual” places, under the couch, in the couch, in the blanket on the couch, under the pillows on the couch (they really like the couch), I had only recovered a handful of nuts.

It was time to expand the search zone. This elusive band of nuts would not escape my wrath.

After about 15 minutes of searching, I finally found the bulk of the rogue nut gang huddled together for safety (not realizing that in this situation there was not safety in numbers).

Name:  Nut stash.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  55.0 KB

Returning the captured nuts to my nut sack, I placed it back in the pantry, discretely watching to see if the nut sack opening culprit would return. I only needed to wait about two minutes.

It seems Taz had figured out how to unzip my nut sack.

After unzipping my nut sack, Taz grabbed a nut then ran over to show Red the nut before bouncing off to find a new hiding place. Red, seeing that the nuts have once again been liberated, quickly retrieved her own nut from my nut sack, and, having recently been through the trauma of having her nut stash confiscated, jumped on my head, and began shelling, then eating the newly acquired nut.

My nut sack now resides in the mini fridge in my garage.

Although I was able to locate and retrieve most of the nuts, there was, unfortunately, a handful nuts that eluded initial discovery. Over the next few weeks I would find these nuts in very creative locations (the girls had learned to not hide all their nuts in one spot). In fact, these nut hiding locations were so creative, I started taking pictures of them before returning the nuts to my nut sack.

This past weekend, while documenting, then confiscating these cleverly hidden nuts, I realized I was being selfish keeping this nut finding adventure to myself. This is the season of giving after all.

So, for those brave enough (or bored enough) to participate, may I present the first annual

“Where’s the Nuts”

contest (it’s sort of like where’s Waldo, but with nuts).

Okay, so rules:

Below are pictures of places the girls have hidden nuts, and yes, there is a nut in every picture.

The first person to correctly identify where the nut(s) (there may be more than one nut in some of the pictures) is in all the pictures wins! I’m not sure what the prize is yet, I’m thinking maybe a $50.00 donation to TSB in the winners name, but I’m open to suggestions.

After a week (December 15th), if no one has correctly identified all the nut locations, the person with the most correct nut locations wins. After which I’ll post follow-up photo’s identifying the location of all the nuts.

Have fun and good luck!

Nut pics set 1 (set 2 is below, in the next post)

Name:  Horse w nut 1.jpg
Size:  64.8 KB

Name:  nut 2.jpg
Size:  82.8 KB

Name:  Nut 3.jpg
Size:  67.7 KB

Name:  Nut contest 5.jpg
Size:  113.0 KB

Name:  Nut contest 3.jpg
Size:  74.9 KB

Name:  Nut contest 4.jpg
Size:  85.3 KB

Name:  Nut contest 8.jpg
Size:  60.6 KB

Name:  nut contest 6.jpg
Size:  88.8 KB

Nut pic's set 2

Name:  nut contest 14.jpg
Size:  70.2 KB

Name:  Nut contest 12.jpg
Size:  103.6 KB

Name:  Nut contest 11.jpg
Size:  99.8 KB

Name:  Nut contest 10.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  108.9 KB

Name:  Nut contest 9.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  129.6 KB

How much dough are you willing to cough up for the first person to count how many times you used the term "nut sack" in that opus? Because it is impressive!

Hopefully I didn't go over the PG-13 amount....

Hmmmm....I think you may be on to something though; how about a dollar a nut sack? I figure it's all going to a good cause, right?

Ok, I clearly have too much time on my hands because I examined all your pics and came up with my findings. I’ll list them in the order of the pics.

Horses mane right side
    Peanut m&m foot area and bottom right side of table
    Squirrels hands
    Right side of vacuum
    Top and side of horses mane
    On blue m&m character
    Bottom right of sword cabinet
    Under wing and at the base of dragon/eagle.

Set 2
    Top left on dragon
    Under m&m’s right leg
    Behind m&m’s right arm
    In candle on the right side of the left side of candle holder
    Base of fish statue

How’d I do?

Wow!! That was impressive!

Yep, you got them all, and you're the first one! So, without further ado, the winner of the first annual "Where's the Nut?" contest is...

MEL

You have your choice of prizes;

1. Donation of $50.00 in your name to TSB

OR

2. PM me your address and I'll send you a $50.00 gift card

Congratulations Mel! And thanks for playing!

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Taz2020 from:

Mel1959 (12-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Ok, I clearly have too much time on my hands because I examined all your pics and came up with my findings. I’ll list them in the order of the pics.

Horses mane right side
    Peanut m&m foot area and bottom right side of table
    Squirrels hands
    Right side of vacuum
    Top and side of horses mane
    On blue m&m character
    Bottom right of sword cabinet
    Under wing and at the base of dragon/eagle.

Set 2
    Top left on dragon
    Under m&m’s right leg
    Behind m&m’s right arm
    In candle on the right side of the left side of candle holder
    Base of fish statue

How’d I do?
    I think you won Mel 🏆😅
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

!!BONUS ROUND!!

The first person to correctly identify where the dragon is from (first picture in set two) gets a 2022 TSB calendar! And by "gets a 2022 TSB calendar" I mean I'll pay for it and tell Lennysmom who to send it to. So get your geek on and good luck!

I got an unexpected bonus at work (apparently not being a walking brain stem pays off after 23 years), anyway, I planned to donate some of it to TSB (I totally could not do what you guys do), so I figured I'd have a little bit of fun with it. It's my way of saying thank you to all those who give so much of their time, patience, wisdom and heart and soul (as well as considerable amount of finances) to not only help our furry little friends, but also those of us "first timers" who have found ourselves caring for (and in some cases providing a forever home) to these life changing furballs.

21. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Taz2020:

Chirps (12-09-2021), Mel1959 (12-09-2021), TubeDriver (12-09-2021)

This thread has been a delight to read. I must admit that the most impressive thing for me was that Taz kindly unzipped your nut sack instead of just chewing a big hole in it.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Pfft.

Nut Sack count - 13. I win the nut sack contest!!! Never thought I would crow about that.

BTW, This: "My nut sack now resides in the mini fridge in my garage."

I can think of several relationships that would have gone quite differently if only I had thought of this.

The dragon looks like it came from Japan, Korea or China.

I made this determination based on the writing at the base of the statue. Japanese writing symbols originated from Chinese writing symbols so the two are somewhat connected.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz2020 View Post
    Wow!! That was impressive!

Yep, you got them all, and you're the first one! So, without further ado, the winner of the first annual "Where's the Nut?" contest is...

MEL

You have your choice of prizes;

1. Donation of $50.00 in your name to TSB

OR

2. PM me your address and I'll send you a $50.00 gift card

Congratulations Mel! And thanks for playing!

Wow! Who knew I’d find them all….I’m impressed with myself!

I’d love for you to donate $50 to TSB. Thank you!

CONGRATULATIONS on your bonus!

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (12-10-2021), TubeDriver (12-09-2021)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast