Thread: Maybe teething? and reassurance??

Default Maybe teething? and reassurance??

Hi everyone!

I've been reading lots of posts as well as all the information on Henry's pet foods, and watching lots of videos. My neighbors found the little juvenile because he was coming to them and trying to crawl on them, and brought him to me as I'm the neighborhood animal person (have horses, chickens, dogs, cats, etc as well as being a science teacher. I am very nervous and want to do right by the little guy. I looked into local rehabilitators and they are several hours away, so I am making the commitment to help him as best I can, and the fact that he's a bit older makes me feel like I have a pretty good chance as long as I stay vigilant and keep learning.

I believe he is about 6-7 weeks old- he is a bit small (100 grams) but he is active, his tail curls over his back, and he sits on his haunches. I have ordered the baby squirrel set with the both the powdered milk and the healthy blocks. He is in a small rodent cage in my air controlled art studio so he is away from the cats and dogs. I have ordered a ferret multi-level cage with small wire mesh, and we will be building an outside cage for him when he's old enough so he can acclimate to the other local squirrels and environment before release. Right now I feed him 7.5 mL of formula using the 0.7 rule four times a day. He has been a voracious eater for the three days I have had him, but I got nervous because last night he wasn't interested in eating either of his meals. He was still very active though, and he was nibbling on my fingers. Do you think he might be teething? He had his appetite back this morning, and ate his normal amount but he is still nibbling on my fingers. His food should be coming in tomorrow- is there anything I need to be keeping an eye out for? There is no clicking during breathing, and I do have some amoxicillin in the house if he needs it. I just am scared he might drop weight since he is so small. He gained 0.1 oz between day 2-3. Such a roller coaster!!

I have attached a photo of him, it doesn't show his tail which is covered in fur but not completely fluffy like an adults- the longest fur is 2-3 inches.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Maybe teething? and reassurance??

Quote Originally Posted by nikkicreatesart View Post
    Right now I feed him 7.5 mL of formula using the 0.7 rule four times a day. He has been a voracious eater for the three days I have had him, but I got nervous because last night he wasn't interested in eating either of his meals. He was still very active though, and he was nibbling on my fingers.
    Can I ask which formula you are feeding him while you wait on the Fox Valley? The powdered Esbilac puppy milk replacer (not the liquid version and not the Goat's Milk version) is about the only off-the-shelf formula that will give this squirrel what he needs.

Hopefully you've ordered the Fox Valley 20/50 and NOT the 32/40. If you ordered it recently, may I suggest call and seeing if you can add Ultraboost to your order... he is underweight and Ultraboost will give him a boost in catching up his weight! Henry's has flat rate shipping is why I suggest adding it to the current order if possible.

My preferred formula for squirrels this old is half of the Esbilac and half Fox Valley 20/50 all the way through weaning.

Do you think he might be teething? He had his appetite back this morning, and ate his normal amount but he is still nibbling on my fingers. His food should be coming in tomorrow- is there anything I need to be keeping an eye out for? There is no clicking during breathing, and I do have some amoxicillin in the house if he needs it. I just am scared he might drop weight since he is so small. He gained 0.1 oz between day 2-3. Such a roller coaster!!
    Amoxicilin is marginal for use in treating Aspiration Pneumonia (AP), though better than nothing. I would recommend asking friends, family and neighbors to see if you can locate some Cipro (ciprofloxacin), Baytril (enrofloxacin.. this is a vet med), Augmentin (vet version is Clavamox, these are both amoxicillin combined with clavulanic acid ), Bactrim (AKA SMZ-TMP), doxycycline.. and if they have something else, post the name and someone will advise if it is more effective than amoxicillin in treating. A single pill is all that would be needed for a full course of treatment for a squirrel. It is always wise to have something on hand in case of need. Should it be needed, post both the squirrel's weight and the strength of the med and someone will assist you with details on prepping and administering).

Doubtful he is teething at this age... it could be the current formula being used, or something else. STrat providing the Henry block to him when it arrives. He only needs to eat 1 of these a day, as it is a supplemental block. And working him up to 2 blocks a day as he gets larger. I normally would give them 1/2 block morning and night at this age. Once he is eatings... not shredding most of it, but eating most of it, get him started on healthy veggies... here is the food pyramid for squirrels getting supplement blocks (Henry's):
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

A squirrel this age that finds themselves all alone in the world will walk up to people (or cats, dogs, goats and whatever else unfortunately) as they are in need of help and have lost their mother. They need to learn about predators, which is why a soft release is so very important.

to TSB and for helping this little one.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (05-17-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Can I ask which formula you are feeding him while you wait on the Fox Valley? The powdered Esbilac puppy milk replacer (not the liquid version and not the Goat's Milk version) is about the only off-the-shelf formula that will give this squirrel what he needs.

Hopefully you've ordered the Fox Valley 20/50 and NOT the 32/40. If you ordered it recently, may I suggest call and seeing if you can add Ultraboost to your order... he is underweight and Ultraboost will give him a boost in catching up his weight! Henry's has flat rate shipping is why I suggest adding it to the current order if possible.

My preferred formula for squirrels this old is half of the Esbilac and half Fox Valley 20/50 all the way through weaning.

Amoxicilin is marginal for use in treating Aspiration Pneumonia (AP), though better than nothing. I would recommend asking friends, family and neighbors to see if you can locate some Cipro (ciprofloxacin), Baytril (enrofloxacin.. this is a vet med), Augmentin (vet version is Clavamox, these are both amoxicillin combined with clavulanic acid ), Bactrim (AKA SMZ-TMP), doxycycline.. and if they have something else, post the name and someone will advise if it is more effective than amoxicillin in treating. A single pill is all that would be needed for a full course of treatment for a squirrel. It is always wise to have something on hand in case of need. Should it be needed, post both the squirrel's weight and the strength of the med and someone will assist you with details on prepping and administering).

Doubtful he is teething at this age... it could be the current formula being used, or something else. STrat providing the Henry block to him when it arrives. He only needs to eat 1 of these a day, as it is a supplemental block. And working him up to 2 blocks a day as he gets larger. I normally would give them 1/2 block morning and night at this age. Once he is eatings... not shredding most of it, but eating most of it, get him started on healthy veggies... here is the food pyramid for squirrels getting supplement blocks (Henry's):
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

A squirrel this age that finds themselves all alone in the world will walk up to people (or cats, dogs, goats and whatever else unfortunately) as they are in need of help and have lost their mother. They need to learn about predators, which is why a soft release is so very important.

to TSB and for helping this little one.

Thank you so much for the response!
    I am feeding the Esibiliac that has the dried whey protein as the third ingredient. (the one that says "with pre-and post biotics"and has the white puppy on the front. The powder I ordered is the 20/50 I will go ahead and order ultraboost since the other is already in enroute. I will try asking around about the cipro- and I know someone mentioned as a last resort getting the Baytril 10% that you can order online. I think that was what I was the most worried about because I don't want him seized and euthanized and I don't know how seriously Alabama treats people trying to rescue them without licensing.
    When i get the 20/50- which is supposed to come tomorrow, should I immediately make it half/half or do I do that more gradually- like 75:25 Esibiliac to FV?

Could also his not wanting to eat be time related? I have one more week teaching and since I can't give him a late morning and early afternoon feeding, Ive been trying to do a 3:00 am, 7 am, 4:00 pm and 8-9 pm feed. Maybe he's just sleepy and pissed I'm waking him up? With him being so small I don't want to feed him more than the 7 ccs, and when I first got him I just fed 5 because I was worried he hadn't had much food for a while and didn't want to shock his tummy. I also have offered rehydration fluid between meals and sometimes he wants it and sometimes he doesn't. He didn't like it in the syringe, so I just put a tiny bit in a Evian bottle cap and have it tilted so he doesn't have to stick his nose down.

I will update on his feeding behavior when I get home for his afternoon feed. Thank you so much for the advice!!

I am feeding the Esibiliac that has the dried whey protein as the third ingredient. (the one that says "with pre-and post biotics"and has the white puppy on the front. The powder I ordered is the 20/50 I will go ahead and order ultraboost since the other is already in enroute. I will try asking around about the cipro- and I know someone mentioned as a last resort getting the Baytril 10% that you can order online. I think that was what I was the most worried about because I don't want him seized and euthanized and I don't know how seriously Alabama treats people trying to rescue them without licensing.
    When i get the 20/50- which is supposed to come tomorrow, should I immediately make it half/half or do I do that more gradually- like 75:25 Esibiliac to FV?

Could also his not wanting to eat be time related? I have one more week teaching and since I can't give him a late morning and early afternoon feeding, Ive been trying to do a 3:00 am, 7 am, 4:00 pm and 8-9 pm feed. Maybe he's just sleepy and pissed I'm waking him up? With him being so small I don't want to feed him more than the 7 ccs, and when I first got him I just fed 5 because I was worried he hadn't had much food for a while and didn't want to shock his tummy. I also have offered rehydration fluid between meals and sometimes he wants it and sometimes he doesn't. He didn't like it in the syringe, so I just put a tiny bit in a Evian bottle cap and have it tilted so he doesn't have to stick his nose down.

I will update on his feeding behavior when I get home for his afternoon feed. Thank you so much for the advice!!
    Once he has been fully hydrated, you can stop giving the extra as he will get all he needs from the formula.

You want to transition from one formula to the other as slowly as you can by mixing up batches of each and blending them together at ever increasing ratios to the mix you have had suggested.

That Baytril 10% is an excellent source. Because of the way they are used by the body, the Baytril may be a tiny smidge faster working than the Cipro (though they both are lightening fast if they are properly matched to what is wrong with the squirrel. It is not a cure all but it is great for aspiration pneumonia (and UTIs).

Just for grins, when he rejects the formula, try heating it hotter. For some reason, they seem to like it heated warmer than a mama squirrel could ever produce (without a raging fever!).

Yes, he may not be interested in the middle of the night feeding. At his age, allow him to take as much formula as he wants... it is often over 7% after 6 pr 7 weeks of age.

He can have a water bottle (hamster type) and / or use a shallow sturdy dish.... place marbles or small clean stones in the bottom and do not fill above the marbles / stones. This will help prevent his sticking his snout too deep and snorting (water bottle is a better way to go FWIW).

At his age the transition is less an issue, but go ahead and do 75% Esbilac and 25% Fox Valley for a day or day and a half and then go to half-n-half.

AP kills very quickly... if a squirrel acquires AP there is not time to wait for something being mailed to arrive. AP is a huge threat to pinkies and diminishes as they get older (but never is completely eliminated as long as they are taking formula). So if you are unable to find someone with meds, Baytril can be purchased here for $26 (last I was aware this was the best price going):
    https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

Update:

He was VERY hungry this afternoon and got mad at the syringe going empty lol. And very active, so that was a huge relief. I will go ahead and order the baytril (thank you for the link!) to have on hand and still ask around for cipro to have on hand as well, just in case. I will try the water bottle- do I need to train him on it? Should I have a shallow bowl too, just in case until I see him drinking from the bottle? The new cage that I ordered has several levels so there should be room for both. I will also work on slowly giving him more milk- maybe increase to 10 ml over 2-3 feeds, then 12 if he will eat it? When the ultraboost comes in I will also add that in- should I premix the half Esibiliac and FV, then portion out 3/4 of a measure to add in the 1/4 measure of ultraboost?

Again, thank you so much for all the advice- it makes me feel so much better! We have plenty of room on our property so we are in no hurry to release until he is ready. I want him to have the best chance at a fulfilling life being a squirrel

Oh he also gained 4 grams from yesterday- so at least he hasn't lost ground. Yay!!

I'd hold off on the Ultraboost until he is transitioned to the 50% Esbilac, 50% FV 20/40... after a couple of days of that, start including the Ultraboost. Just in case, in the very unlikely event, something does not agree with him, you'll know what it was by controlling the variables.

Not being nosey but I have Baytril on hand and depending on your location I might be able to bring/meet you with it??? I’m in North MS.

10. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Tuff:

Chirps (05-17-2023), CritterMom (05-17-2023), SamtheSquirrel2018 (05-17-2023), Tashahaven (05-20-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
    Not being nosey but I have Baytril on hand and depending on your location I might be able to bring/meet you with it??? I’m in North MS.
    Hi! That is so sweet of you! I'm in central Alabama, about an hour west of Birmingham. I ordered it, so I should be ok as I don't think he needs it, but if something happens before then, I will definitely be contacting you as a lifesaver. Everyone here is so kind and helpful!

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to nikkicreatesart from:

Tuff (05-18-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I'd hold off on the Ultraboost until he is transitioned to the 50% Esbilac, 50% FV 20/40... after a couple of days of that, start including the Ultraboost. Just in case, in the very unlikely event, something does not agree with him, you'll know what it was by controlling the variables.
    Sounds good- I won't be getting it for about a week anyway. Yes, I definitely see the sound reasoning behind controling the variables!

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Once he has been fully hydrated, you can stop giving the extra as he will get all he needs from the formula.

You want to transition from one formula to the other as slowly as you can by mixing up batches of each and blending them together at ever increasing ratios to the mix you have had suggested.

That Baytril 10% is an excellent source. Because of the way they are used by the body, the Baytril may be a tiny smidge faster working than the Cipro (though they both are lightening fast if they are properly matched to what is wrong with the squirrel. It is not a cure all but it is great for aspiration pneumonia (and UTIs).

Just for grins, when he rejects the formula, try heating it hotter. For some reason, they seem to like it heated warmer than a mama squirrel could ever produce (without a raging fever!).
    Thank you so much for your advice! I somehow didn't see it until now when I was checking back over the responses I saw that I missed yours. Re: the mix- should I mix the powders, then add water, or make two batches and then pull up the correct mLs into the syringe to make the mix (after gently shaking) If I am doing 10 mL- pull 9 from the Esibiliac and 1 from the FV the first two feeds, then 8 and 2, and so on?

Seriously, everyone here has been so kind to help this anxious newly minted squirrel "mom". He has such a great personality and I really want to make his life the best I can while in my care.