Thread: Looking for Advice (Antibiotic Dosing Perhaps?) for Chipmunk

Default Looking for Advice (Antibiotic Dosing Perhaps?) for Chipmunk

Hello,

I am totally newbie here, so please forgive any unintended violation of norms.

I have a chipmunk I have been caring for for the last four days. I'm not sure what happened to it. It was found by someone in a driveway, walking in a stupor in circles. That person posted on a local subreddit looking for help after they were unsuccessful finding a rehabber within an hour and their parents would not allow them to bring the animal inside. I responded and took it in. My assumption was the chipmunk needed a safe quiet place to rest to either (a) recover or (b) succumb in peace to whatever ailed it. In an extra, closed off room, I set up a large opaque storage container with hemp bedding, several "hidey houses" for him to go into to get away from me, and plants and natural elements to reduce stress, raw nuts and seeds and water. Following advice I found on the internet, half of this container is sitting on heating pads. From the time he arrived, the chipmunk has been deeply lethargic, appearing to be in a state of torpor. He moves around the container as he adjusts himself in sleep but otherwise does not move, though all his limbs appear to be working. He will not move to hide. Nor will he move to food and water. He will drink from a syringe if it's put in front of him. Same with eating. He will nibble at a pecan if you put it under his nose for five minutes or so before falling back asleep. I've been feeding and watering him this way three times a day, otherwise leaving him alone. Otherwise, he sleeps in this torpor-like state 24/7. He does not have any visible injuries and he does not seem distressed, perhaps because he is unaware of his surroundings.

As mentioned, this has gone on for four days now. I would have expected to see some significant improvement by now, or for him (unfortunately) to die. Instead, he just lingers and I'm not sure what to do. Last night and this morning, he drank his a bit more water than previously and with a little more gusto, so perhaps that is a ray of hope.

I've called several local rehabbers and not had a called returned as yet, so am on my own for now. The one place I found where I can surrender him has said they will euthanize, and since he's held on this long I still feel like he might have a change to recover so I am reluctant to do that. If I am wrong, please educate me!

The only other thing I can think to do for him is administer some sort of antibiotic, in the event he has an infection, but would not want to do so without advice on dosing and safety of the particular medicine. Certain antibiotics for wild rodents seem to be contraindicated, and I wouldn't have the first clue on dosing or admin.

Any advice?

Thank you!

-Jennifer

Default Re: Looking for Advice (Antibiotic Dosing Perhaps?) for Chipmunk

Update: Saw the little guy engaging in some grooming behavior with eyes open after his latest drink of water. That's the most life I've seen out of him since he arrived. Back to sleep though immediately after that. Still, a move in the right direction ...

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to jlankheim:

Diggie's Friend (08-04-2021), TubeDriver (08-05-2021)

Can you increase his fluids? Add a pinch of sugar to the water - he isn't eating much and it will help if he is partially crashing due to low blood sugar. When something happens and they feel awful the stop eating and worse, drinking, which makes them feel worse and not want to drink even further and they will spiral down quickly. Also, adding some small pieces of things like melon and blueberries adds water and they actually like them.

I would push fluids and healthy food and see what happens with him. He is getting a chance most of them never get - to get better without worrying about getting eaten! He may have gotten whacked in the head, fallen, been dropped - it is so hard to know without clear visible symptoms.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

jlankheim (08-04-2021)

Thank you. I found on another forum a recipe for rehydration solution that mixes water with a little sugar and salt and on your advice upped waking him for water every hour or two and he is now taking most of a syringe full each time! Another move in the right direction. I will add blueberries and melons to the foods I am offering him.

Jennifer, I loved your initial post. You have such a kind and compassionate heart. You have done everything right. Your initial impressions were right on target. Little chippie needed a safe place to either recover or to peacefully pass. If their injuries are unsurvivable, they will often pass in a day or so. It sounds like he might survive. Only time will tell how much function he regains. Grooming is an excellent sign.

In addition to hydration, you could offer small chunks of avocado. It’s a food that most squirrels seem to enjoy. As time progresses and his condition improves, we can suggest other healthy foods. For now, little chippie has found the best thing possible… a kind person that will give him time to heal.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

jlankheim (08-05-2021)

If you do, make sure you don't give the peels or the pit of the avocado. I have never given any of my wild chippies avocado, but after years of watching them run around wearing red "lipstick" from my (former) strawberries, I knew they liked fruit, so anything I have that gets a little too shopworn for me to eat I chop up and give to the chippies!

Update: The chipmunk is still drinking adequately with more awake and grooming time each day, but I have yet to see him on his feet and he is eating very little. A few nibbles of nuts and watermelon here and there, but it just doesn't seem like enough. He has refused blueberries, raspberries and mealworms.

I am going to try the suggestions here of strawberries and avocado (no peels or pits!). I'm particularly interested in the latter because it's calorie dense. If there are other suggestion for more calorie dense foods I can try, please let me know. Upping his calorie intake seems to be the priority now and he's eating very small quantities at the moment.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help!

-Jennifer

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to jlankheim from:

Diggie's Friend (08-06-2021)

Default Re: Update: Chipmunk Doing Better, How do I know when/where to release?

Hi,

This chipmunk is doing much better - out of the woods I think. He's eating, drinking and grooming, aware of his surroundings, etc. He still sleeps a lot, but it's getting harder for me to tell if his behavior is a result of him being in captivity and around humans or the result of his original injury.

Today, he has been the most active yet. I had two small potted plants in the enclosure with him and when I went to check on him, he had dug both of them completely out of the pot and scattered the dirt and plant remains everywhere! (Then back to sleep.) Could this mean he's ready to go back outside? On one hand it seems like it does, but he still seems "off" to me. When I agitate him to try to get him to flee from me he is slow moving, stumbles a lot and doesn't get very far - totally unlike the fast, nimble chipmunks I see outside. Again, it's hard for me (a non-expert) to tell if it's because he's still recovering or because he's just freaked out from being captive. How do you know when they're ready for release?

One other question: As I mentioned when I first posted, this is not a "local" chipmunk. I took him in from someone who found him and had posted online. When he is ultimately released, would it be better for us to take him back where he was found (if we can determine that)? Otherwise, I will release him in my yard. I have a lot of other chipmunks living here and provide food/water for all my yard creatures but he will need to re-establish himself in "competitive" territory. I'm not sure how difficult that is ...

It sure sounds like he is SO much better. Good job. Unfortunately, that ‘little off’ thing you detect might be the difference between survival or not. Try keeping him for a bit longer and see how things go.

You can also offer full fat yogurt. Stonyfield makes YoBaby and another full fat yogurt in a large container (French Vanilla). You have to look harder to find the full fat yogurts as most are no fat or low fat. Again, it will be hit or miss. Some squirrels love it, others not so much.

Sorry, I can’t offer advice on release. We don’t have chipmunks in central FL so I have no idea about that. I’ve never even seen one.
    With tree squirrels, we do not return to original location but I’m not sure how important territory is to chipmunks. I will say that releasing in your own yard offers benefits. You could keep an eye out for him and provide treats and possible even a suitable shelter. Again, I’m not familiar with them so I’m not sure what a suitable shelter would be.