Thread: Few questions about Ava ♥

Default Few questions about Ava ♥

Ava has hit her 6mo mark, and I've noticed thicker, greyer hair has started to come in mostly on her hind end, but is a thick, sleek, gorgeous smooth grey is this molting ? (No fur loss though) Or simply winter coat??

Another, is that she often sneezes through the night... I am OBSESSED with her and closely monitor, so it worries me little mind a wonder.. She does have some nasal drainage after sneezing, but sometimes its wet, sometimes dry. Is it pollen from putting things from outside in her cage? Or sinus infection? (She's ALWAYS done this, since 4wks/old) ??

Also, I usually clean her cage every 3 days or so, I dump all excess food- and usually wipe the little plastic trays down with hydrogen peroxide (watered down bleach makes her sneeze a lot more) is this safe?

She is starting to scratch her ear more, and when I give her loving she loves for me to scratch it endlessly, she will kind of fall into your hand as if "Oh yeah that feels awesome please don't stop". She does have brown in her ears, and I know what wax looks like but she has these tiny, tiny brown bumps. She will lick her paw/nails and scratch, and repeat. Could it be just wax build up? I don't suspect mites, because she doesn't do as often, but I do catch her time to time.

She likes to chew her hands a lot when she's trying to sleep, and its starting to take away the fur on her first two fingers on each paw, I press them lightly to make sure there's no pain, and she just kind of looks at me funny but will still nibble them.

I recently found out her diet of pecans, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds were not correct, and have began to remove each stash and replace with lettuce & broccoli & cauliflower- but she just doesn't seem interested in them at all.... ? I'm sure it will take a few days to adjust I just worry about her starving or something... I am also supplementing her with Calcium Carbonate- its a Tums kinda, but I usually break it into quarters and give her one piece at night and one in morning. Sometimes she takes it and others she doesn't and I was wondering if I needed to force it with a syringe or can they tell if they need it/don't?

So... all in all...

Is it molting or winter coat?

What causes the sneezing/drainage?

Is peroxide mixture safe? ( I've heard of it being used in doctors offices instead of the harsh smell of bleach)

What can I use to clean her ears? I have a bottle of Pet Armor Ear Mite & Ticks for cats, but when reading label it mentions pesticide for mites, and I don't want her sick or poisoned- but I don't want her ears bothering/hurting her either?

What would cause her to nibble her hands at night?

I started the calcium thing because she had access to nuts her whole life and I noticed her starting to gain weight (wasn't sure if it was the nuts, or if she was getting some meat on her to grow into?) She never really showed signs of MBD, but I get home late and don't get to sun her often as I'd like so I figured she could use the extra intake.

Please & Thank you!
    Last edited by AvasMama; 08-02-2021 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Trying to add pictures
    AvasMama

Default Re: Few questions about Ava ♥

Also, she had some watermellon bits the other day, and I suppose she tracked the juice around before I could clean it up and her fur is a little dingey/sticky... Do squirrels bathe? Or like water? I have oatmeal bath stuff but I dont want her to aspirate it, drown or anything crazy. Plus shes pretty fond of curtains lol.... Would it be safer to clean her with a new toothbrush dipped in water and just brush her fur out?
    AvasMama

Never use bleach when cleaning a squirrel's cage. Their sense of smell is far, far stronger than yours. They don't like the smell, even if you then rinsed the article five times.

I don't know about the hydrogen peroxide, but the conservative thing to do is not to use it, especially if you are trying stop the sneezing and don't know what is causing it.

Just use warm water and a clean rag, old t-shirts or socks with holes. With fabrics take them outside and shake them out until you stop seeing dust come off. (It is better not to wash them.) It is better to do this when she doesn't see you doing this. This upsets them. They don't like anyone messing with their nest. If you can smell perfume, scent on anything, remove it from her cage.

Are you using cedar chips or something like that on the bottom of the cage?

Can you post a picture of her cage and the things in it? Also a picture where the first is being rubbed/licked off?

A healthy squirrel will keep themselves clean. They don't know need to be bathed. No, they don't like water or getting wet, generally speaking.

I assume she has a water bottle in her cage. As long as she has sufficient water, she will keep herself clean.

Have you tried giving her winter squash or sweet potatoes? You can try it both ways cooked or raw. Sometimes I add a little cinnamon and honey and cold-pressed, organic coconut oil (This is usually found in the supplements section of the store.)

They have a natural preference for high calorie foods, if they have a choice. Try fresh, ripe avocado (No skin or pit as these contain toxins.) Also try whole milk, plain Greek yogurt. (I have good luck with Cabot's which my Walmart carries. It is rich in fat, contains calcium.) You can add unsweetened baby food fruit to add flavor it. Try small apple chunks. (Don't give banana, it can be a choking hazard, in my experience.) Test everything first, never give anything that doesn't taste good. Don't give anything with added salt.

You can put a little chunk of ground up Tums mixed with the avocado. Never try to force a squirrel to eat anything.

Yes, they do molt with the seasons and it comes in waves and it can look sort of weird while the process is underway.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

AvasMama (08-06-2021)

I will start with the warm water and rag from now on then! I don't have any bedding/cedar chips/etc in the cage because it is the Critter Nation Double Unit w/ add on- its 6ft or so high, and with the way the bars are would cause way too much of a mess for shavings/etc. I do have an old blanket on each shelf, but just laying in it. I am ordering some fabric to wrap around the little plastic trays (slide in and out for easy clean up) so she will stop chewing them up.... Even though she has like 8 different sticks, twigs, even a solid wood block I got for her she prefers

As for a picture of her hands, I'll have to get that tomorrow- she's asleep at the moment

She does get apple slices from time to time, and had a piece of plum the other day and seemed to like it too. But after handling her today I did notice she seemed smoother like she had gotten it out of her fur so that's good.

But I will have to try the avocado and sweet potatoes too!
    Thank you!

Any way to clean her ears or try to refresh them a little bit for her?
    AvasMama

Quote Originally Posted by AvasMama View Post
    Any way to clean her ears or try to refresh them a little bit for her?
    Try warm water and real Q-Tips or small, soft pieces of paper towel or napkins. (I find that wet toilet paper shreds too readily.) See what, if anything, comes off when you clean her ears. Once again if you think there is something strange about her ears, get a photo of them too.

Does she only sneeze when she is in the cage?

Is there any Mazuri, Teklad 2018 or Henry's blocks in Ava's diet?

Have you tried giving a piece of deer antler to Ava? Since you are concerned about potential MBD antlers are a great source of minerals. If she gnaws vigorously at the antler this suggest she may have some deficiencies, as they can smell the minerals in things.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Try warm water and real Q-Tips or small, soft pieces of paper towel or napkins. (I find that wet toilet paper shreds too readily.) See what, if anything, comes off when you clean her ears. Once again if you think there is something strange about her ears, get a photo of them too.

Does she only sneeze when she is in the cage?
    No, even when she is out every so often she will stop and sniffle, but it usually doesn't stop her but for a minute. Its not something I believe is chronic, as its just started but I don't see her do it but maybe 4-5 times throughout the whole day, and I'm here with her in the same room all day most of the time. (Typically has 24hr supervision unless I'm asleep/showering/errands/emergency) I had to leave for a whole day last night, and when I got back today and got her out her ears just felt warmer than the rest of her head. I did see her doing the little head rub thing, like when they take their paws and go from their ears to nose and again?

& to answer the other post- She does have antlers, she has 2 actually and loves them. She doesn't chew them as much as she used to, but every now and then she will drag them out. (She likes to hide them too, and sometimes will drag all her toys to one corner and try to cover them too )
    AvasMama

Quote Originally Posted by AvasMama View Post
    No, even when she is out every so often she will stop and sniffle, but it usually doesn't stop her but for a minute. Its not something I believe is chronic, as its just started but I don't see her do it but maybe 4-5 times
    I can't remember whether we covered this or not, does she drink from a water bottle or a dish?