Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1-2 week old baby

Default Re: 1-2 week old baby

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    45 Grams means at 5% of body weight she should be fed

.05 x 45 g = 2.25 grams of formula which is approximately 2.25 cubic centimeters (cc) which is also equal 2.25 milliliters (ml) at each feeding. As they get older they may be able to eat 6 or 7% of body weight. 5% is a conservative place to start.

I am glad you got the digital scale. They really are essential.
    So that weight is ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Rachelrocket4u View Post
    She is still taking some pedialite. She is on esbilac and I put some goats milk with it.
    The electrolytes in Pedialyte are calibrated for humans. Squirrels operate at a different electrolyte balance point, their urine is often more concentrated than humans. It is not recommended by the Squirrel Board that Pedialyte be given beyond the first 24 hours because of this concern. For one thing the salt in Pedialyte is higher than what is healthy for squirrels. This can have potential adverse effects.

Furthermore, the manufacturer of Pedialyte recommends that there product be disposed of 48 hours after opening, even if it is immediately refrigerated. This is because the Pedialyte can become a breeding ground for bacteria since it is rich in the things that bacteria need to flourish.

If hydration is needed it is recommended that the squirrel be given lightly sweetened water, if plain water is not well received, which is what you should try first.

Hydration, if needed, should be given separately from formula. It should be given at intervals spaced in between the formula feedings. This leads the water to be fully absorbed and thus ready to facilitate digestion at the next feeding of formula. When food hits the stomach, water is drawn from the body to digest the food.

I previously gave a link which shows how to give a skin turgor test to check for dehydration.

Based on such a test, does she show any dehydration?

I previously gave a link which shows how to give a skin turgor test to check for dehydration.

Based on such a test, does she show any dehydration?
    Yes thank you for that! That’s why I went last night after watching it because she was dehydrated. I have only given her two doses and her skin is bouncing right back now!

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rachelrocket4u from:

Rock Monkey (08-01-2021)

So that weight is ok?
    A broad weight range for 1-2 week old eastern grey squirrels is 20-40 grams.

2-3 weeks approx. 40-60 grams.

So, 45 grams would seem to be healthy, given you age estimate. I recommend taking note of weight daily and writing it down so that you can see how she is progressing.

Are you using a syringe to feed her? If so, what size is it?

Also, be sure to cleaning your feeding implements with warm water after feeding. Having multiple slip-tip (luer slip tip) syringes allows them to dry.

I am glad you were able to rectify the dehydration. Just keep an eye on the skin to make sure she doesn't slip back into dehydration. Also monitor poop and pee carefully. This gives a lot of information about how she is doing.

A broad weight range for 1-2 week old eastern grey squirrels is 20-40 grams.

2-3 weeks approx. 40-60 grams.

So, 45 grams would seem to be healthy, given you age estimate. I recommend taking note of weight daily and writing it down so that you can see how she is progressing.

Are you using a syringe to feed her? If so, what size is it?

Also, be sure to cleaning your feeding implements with warm water after feeding. Having multiple slip-tip (luer slip tip) syringes allows them to dry.

I am glad you were able to rectify the dehydration. Just keep an eye on the skin to make sure she doesn't slip back into dehydration. Also monitor poop and pee carefully. This gives a lot of information about how she is doing.
    Her pee is a normal color but prior to giving her the pedialite she had black stool. Now to today it’s a mustard color but not like yellow mustard but spicy
    Mustard

Below is a file which shows what can be learned by monitoring your squirrel's stool. It is worth the read. It will let you know what is typical and what sort of output indicates a problem.

stoolproblemssquirrels.pdf

I think if you can find the original online, it will have color pictures. Those in the above are black and white.

It can take some time for the stool to change, sounds like you are moving in the right direction.

Are you using a syringe to feed the squirrel?

What have you named her?

A small, slip tip (no needle) syringe with an O-ring on the plunger is the most conservative (safe) way to feed little squirrels.

You can get them from most pharmacies, often for free. Tell them you are feeding a little critter (better not to say squirrel). Just tell you are feeding a kitten or hamster if they ask.

Her pee is a normal color but prior to giving her the pedialite she had black stool. Now to today it’s a mustard color but not like yellow mustard but spicy
    Mustard
    Those black stools are stools from Mom's milk. The mustard / golden color is the normal color when being raised on Esbilac / Fox Valley.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

stepnstone (08-01-2021)

Are you using a syringe to feed the squirrel?

What have you named her?
    Yes a 1 cc with extended nipple. I call her Frankie

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rachelrocket4u from:

Rock Monkey (08-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Those black stools are stools from Mom's milk. The mustard / golden color is the normal color when being raised on Esbilac / Fox Valley.
    Thank you 😊

She hasn’t pooped today, is this normal? She is peeing fine but no poop 💩 today. I even but her lower half in warm water and massaged her belly, but nada.

When I found her in the road about 5 days ago she was on pedialite mix. Now she is on esbilac and I mix in some goats milk. She eats about every 2 and a half hours currently. I just want to make sure she is getting what she needs.
    How much goat's milk are you mixing with how much formula (Goat's Milk to Formula ratio)?

Pedialite should never, ever be mixed with formula... I am not sure that is what you mean by pedialite mix, but thought it couldn't hurt to mention this just in case if that is what "pedialite mix" means.

She is still taking some pedialite. She is on esbilac and I put some goats milk with it.

Stop the pedialite. It is not recommended to be given for longer than 24 hours as it can throw off their electrolyte balances. If she still seems to need additional hydration, use plain water. If she refuses that, place just a small amount of honey into the water to make it more appealing.

She hasn’t pooped today, is this normal? She is peeing fine but no poop �� today. I even but her lower half in warm water and massaged her belly, but nada.
    Once they start pooping the mustard color formula poop, they usually begin pooping regularly. Are you sure there are no poops in her bedding?

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Rock Monkey (08-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    How much goat's milk are you mixing with how much formula (Goat's Milk to Formula ratio)?

Pedialite should never, ever be mixed with formula... I am not sure that is what you mean by pedialite mix, but thought it couldn't hurt to mention this just in case if that is what "pedialite mix" means.

Stop the pedialite. It is not recommended to be given for longer than 24 hours as it can throw off their electrolyte balances. If she still seems to need additional hydration, use plain water. If she refuses that, place just a small amount of honey into the water to make it more appealing.

Once they start pooping the mustard color formula poop, they usually begin pooping regularly. Are you sure there are no poops in her bedding?
    I only gave her the pedialite for the one day. I say mix because it was a berry flavor lol. I only put a splash of the goats milk in. I’m doing the 3 to one ratio so she can acclimate to the formula being when I found her I had her in goats milk. I’m just concerned because she won’t poo. She pees like a champ. But I have t been feeding her as many times as I would prior because she hasn’t gone 💩. What should I do

I briefly scanned through your thread so forgive me if someone already mentioned any of these suggestions.

Many times when a young baby is found it can take a few days of a steady source of nourishment to provide enough food to cause stool. Some babies require a lot of stimulation, as well.

Things to try if you feel the baby is constipated: 1. soak in warm water up to her armpits. Gently massage the belly in a downward motion while holding her in the warm bath. Be sure to dry her well and cuddle her in a blanket so she doesn’t get chilled. 2. Try providing some slightly sweetened water or diluted apple or prune juice BETWEEN normal feeding times. Be careful she doesn’t aspirate on this liquid as it’s thinner than formula. 3. Rub a little coconut oil around the rectum to provide some lubrication.

Keep your eye on her and let us know if you see any poop.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Rock Monkey (08-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I briefly scanned through your thread so forgive me if someone already mentioned any of these suggestions.

Many times when a young baby is found it can take a few days of a steady source of nourishment to provide enough food to cause stool. Some babies require a lot of stimulation, as well.

Things to try if you feel the baby is constipated: 1. soak in warm water up to her armpits. Gently massage the belly in a downward motion while holding her in the warm bath. Be sure to dry her well and cuddle her in a blanket so she doesn’t get chilled. 2. Try providing some slightly sweetened water or diluted apple or prune juice BETWEEN normal feeding times. Be careful she doesn’t aspirate on this liquid as it’s thinner than formula. 3. Rub a little coconut oil around the rectum to provide some lubrication.

Keep your eye on her and let us know if you see any poop.
    Thank you! The warm water actually did the trick! She is back to her sassy self. I had no idea how active such a little one can be

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rachelrocket4u from:

Rock Monkey (08-05-2021)

Wonderful to hear! Great job!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12