Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: 1-2 week old baby

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 6

    Default 1-2 week old baby

    Hi all! I have a question regarding a baby squirrel I found. I just want to make sure she is looking ok and there arenít to many reference pictures out there. I donít know how to attach a photo, can anyone help

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    SC (Madison)
    Posts
    5,606
    Thanked: 5484

    Default Re: 1-2 week old baby


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: 1-2 week old baby

    Name:  86F6D8CD-8188-4B8C-819B-53D5E2995F27.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  399.7 KB

    Thank you! Here she is.

  4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rachelrocket4u:

    Rock Monkey (07-31-2021), SammysMom (07-31-2021)

  5. #4
    SammysMom's Avatar
    SammysMom is offline Administrator, Conn. Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    31,331
    Thanked: 13306

    Default Re: 1-2 week old baby

    She is darling! Tell us a bit about her. What are you feeding, how much and how often?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net



  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: 1-2 week old baby

    When I found her in the road about 5 days ago she was on pedialite mix. Now she is on esbilac and I mix in some goats milk. She eats about every 2 and a half hours currently. I just want to make sure she is getting what she needs.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,236
    Thanked: 708

    Default Re: 1-2 week old baby

    What was the question you wanted to ask?

    Here is a good video about good feeding technique which is the best way to prevent problems.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLjR...relsandmorellc

    A one cc syringe or a 1/2 cc syringe is best, preferably with a nipple attached.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,236
    Thanked: 708

    Default Re: 1-2 week old baby

    They should be fed 5-7% of their body weight at each feeding.

    So if the baby weighed 15 grams, for example to calculate 5% the math is simple .05 x 15 g = .75 g. A cc of water weighs one gram. So this translates to .75 cc of formula at each feeding.

    Is it pooping and peeing when stimulated?

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,236
    Thanked: 708

    Default Re: 1-2 week old baby

    Here is a video about how to test for dehydration.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjPM...relsandmorellc

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,236
    Thanked: 708

    Default Re: 1-2 week old baby

    Note hit the 'refresh' button on your browser to see new posts.

    Baby squirrels need their mother's body heat so if they are not being held they need a heating pad under half of their container set on moderate heat. This allows them to move away from the heat if they get too hot.

    https://henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

    Here is a link to the first page of a six page guide for taking care of orphaned squirrels.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: 1-2 week old baby

    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Note hit the 'refresh' button on your browser to see new posts.

    Baby squirrels need their mother's body heat so if they are not being held they need a heating pad under half of their container set on moderate heat. This allows them to move away from the heat if they get too hot.

    https://henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

    Here is a link to the first page of a six page guide for taking care of orphaned squirrels.
    Yes she is on a heating pad. And has a little blanket on top all Iím a little cotton dog bed

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: 1-2 week old baby

    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    They should be fed 5-7% of their body weight at each feeding.

    So if the baby weighed 15 grams, for example to calculate 5% the math is simple .05 x 15 g = .75 g. A cc of water weighs one gram. So this translates to .75 cc of formula at each feeding.

    Is it pooping and peeing when stimulated?
    Yes she goes before and after feeding

  13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rachelrocket4u from:

    Rock Monkey (07-31-2021)

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,236
    Thanked: 708

    Default Re: 1-2 week old baby

    How much does she weigh?

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: 1-2 week old baby

    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    How much does she weigh?
    I am not sure

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,236
    Thanked: 708

    Default Re: 1-2 week old baby

    Quote Originally Posted by Rachelrocket4u View Post
    I am not sure
    Having a digital scale is critical. You can get a digital food scale at Walmart for $15.

    Knowing the squirrel's weight allows you to know how much to feed her, too much or too little can both be problems.

    Tracking weight is also a simple measure of health. Little ones should be gaining. So, if they lose weight that means there is a problem.

    How much formula do you give here at each feeding?

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,236
    Thanked: 708

    Default Re: 1-2 week old baby

    What means are you using to feed her?

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,236
    Thanked: 708

    Default Re: 1-2 week old baby

    Also, please be aware for future reference that very few veterinarians will work on squirrels and some will ask you to release to them the decision whether the squirrels lives or dies. Some euthanize all grey squirrels on sight.

    So, feel free to ask the board whatever questions or concerns you have.

  19. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: 1-2 week old baby

    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Having a digital scale is critical. You can get a digital food scale at Walmart for $15.

    Knowing the squirrel's weight allows you to know how much to feed her, too much or too little can both be problems.

    Tracking weight is also a simple measure of health. Little ones should be gaining. So, if they lose weight that means there is a problem.

    How much formula do you give here at each feeding?
    She is at 45 grams

  20. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: 1-2 week old baby

    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Also, please be aware for future reference that very few veterinarians will work on squirrels and some will ask you to release to them the decision whether the squirrels lives or dies. Some euthanize all grey squirrels on sight.

    So, feel free to ask the board whatever questions or concerns you have.
    Thank you!!

  21. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: 1-2 week old baby

    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    What means are you using to feed her?
    She is still taking some pedialite. She is on esbilac and I put some goats milk with it.

  22. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,236
    Thanked: 708

    Default Re: 1-2 week old baby

    45 Grams means at 5% of body weight she should be fed

    .05 x 45 g = 2.25 grams of formula which is approximately 2.25 cubic centimeters (cc) which is also equal 2.25 milliliters (ml) at each feeding. As they get older they may be able to eat 6 or 7% of body weight. 5% is a conservative place to start.

    I am glad you got the digital scale. They really are essential.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •