Thread: Need A Squirrel Safe Vet For Ashley

Default Need A Squirrel Safe Vet For Ashley

I need a squirrel safe vet in the Charlotte, NC area. SC, VA, or TN will do also. Ashley has a big lump on the back of her head. It came up fast. I didn't notice it Monday and Tuesday it was there. It's gotten slightly bigger since I noticed it. It is a hard firm lump. Ashley is a house squirrel so it is not likely to be a bot. I want to get this checked out and drained if it is an abscess. I will need an antibiotic also. I would greatly appreciate any squirrel safe vet recommendations or advice. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Default Re: Need A Squirrel Safe Vet For Ashley

OK, I wracked my brain for hours to dredge this name out - they are in Raleigh: https://avianandexotic.com/

The vet in question is Dr. Dan Johnson. I can't give you any feel for his skills, etc., but I do know he has seen and worked on squirrels on this board in the past. If you go this route, make certain that they WILL work on your squirrel and WILL NOT confiscate. As I said, they have in the past but it is always a good idea to check every time.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Centerline (07-31-2021)

They're web site says they have to turn over wildlife to licensed rehabbers. No doubt that's a statement they have to make for legal purposes in NC but they might help out under the rug. Anyhow, I will find out Monday. But I was thinking, is this something I can handle myself? I should be able to round up some Amoxicyllin. I have Cipro if that will work. I have lots of things I could sanitize and use to make a small puncture. Is that a bad idea?

Right now it is. I would tend to wait until you have some indication that it is, indeed, an abscess. Then you don't want to use a pin or something like that - you want to use something more scalpel like - an x-acto knife that has been sterilized. But I don't know if I would want to mess with it until I knew for absolute certain what it is. And if a vet is an option, that would be a lot better...

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Centerline (07-31-2021)

10-4. I'll sit tight. I will call Raleigh Monday. Thanks Crittermom.

I gave Ashley a haircut so I could examine this thing. Ashley is such a good squirrel. But anyhow, I don't know what to think about this. There's no wound. I found a disabled caterpillar wasp the same day this lump became obvious. Maybe the wasp stung her. Hopefully the Raleigh vet will work out. I want this thing gone more than Ashley does.

I hope it's not a tumor. It doesn't look like a sting though. Imo a sting would be better. Good luck with the vet!
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

AvasMama (08-02-2021), Centerline (08-02-2021)

CritterMom, you are the best. I'm so glad you remembered this place. It worked out perfect. They asked no questions and I told no lies. This is the go to place for North Carolina needs (Avian And Exotic Animal Care (www.avianandexotic.com). Great group of people there. In fact, they had this gift from The Squirrel Board on the wall in the examination room where Ashley was checked. It was a monster abscess and nothing more. They took care of it and they were amazed at what a good squirrel Ashley is. I had them give Ashley the works while we were there. Organs and blood work are all normal. It was a good day. Ashley is still drunk but I will get some pictures tomorrow when she feels better. Oh yeah, they sent a sample of the abscess fluid to the lab so the bacteria can be identified and verify that they gave me an appropriate antibiotic. I'll get that info Wednesday.

12. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Centerline:

AvasMama (08-02-2021), Diggie's Friend (08-04-2021), Scooterzmom (08-05-2021), TubeDriver (08-04-2021)

That is AWESOME & I'm so happy for you and Ashley! I myself have been looking for a vet in the area for JUST IN CASE anything was to happen to my sweet Ava.♥ I am SO glad I came across this! I was wondering however, should this post be took down to protect Dr. Johnson and keep him from getting into any trouble by enforcement, from seeing this post?? Like if this was seen by the wrong person, his job could be in jeopardy and all our critters wont have that advocate for the Triad anymore Just a thought! Wanting to keep ALL squirrels happy, safe, and healthy - as well as those who care for them! ♥

Just a suggestion.... Maybe could make a discreet forum w/ a list of vets in each state that will do this under the rug for others?

Get well soon, Ashley!! ♥
    AvasMama

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to AvasMama:

Centerline (08-03-2021), Scooterzmom (08-05-2021)

OMG! Squarlet! She has a thread here somewhere! I am so glad this worked out. It is funny. All I could pull out of my head was "Dr. Dan" - I searched threads here and that was always all I found - Dr. Dan... Then my brain finally kicked in - I think I usually dream these answers, because I woke up and the first thought I had was "JOHNSON!!!"

Phew!

A day late but here are some pictures of Ashley's abscess after it has been drained. Still a little puffy but getting better.

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Centerline:

Grinderhead (08-05-2021), TubeDriver (08-04-2021)

That looks a lot better. I am still trying to process the fact that she let you SHAVE her!

Thumbs up Re: Need A Squirrel Safe Vet For Ashley

This is great news 🤗
    Ashley is a doll, what a good girl🥰
    I'll still be curious what caused it 🤔
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

Centerline (08-05-2021)

Thanks all. Ashley doesn't get concerned about a lot of things and she's easy to handle. But all that ends when it's time to take nasty tasting meds.