Thread: Aspiration pneumonia... Clicking in chest just started.... Need antibiotic dosing

Default Aspiration pneumonia... Clicking in chest just started.... Need antibiotic dosing

I have a baby girl squirrel not sure really how old she is I just found her 3 days ago she's gaining weight and eating fine but today she has a little click in her breathing and I have about 5 ml of amoxicillin will that work? And how do I dilute and dose? She weighs 34.2.

Exclamation Re: Aspiration pneumonia... Clicking in chest just started.... Need antibiotic dosing

Correction... I have .5 ml of amoxicillin. Will it work is that enough and how do I dilute and dose
    Thanks in advance

Default Re: Aspiration pneumonia... Clicking in chest just started.... Need antibiotic dosing

Quote Originally Posted by Justagurl View Post
    Correction... I have .5 ml of amoxicillin. Will it work is that enough and how do I dilute and dose
    Thanks in advance
    The strength of the Amoxil is required (i.e. "250mg/1ml").

Note: Amoxicillin is only good for about 10 (Ten) days, 14 max, after the water is added to make it a liquid (and this assumes it was stored in the fridge).
    Last edited by Spanky; 07-29-2021 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Corrected "110" to 10 days

Default Re: Aspiration pneumonia... Clicking in chest just started.... Need antibiotic dosing

If the antibiotics that you have are deemed no longer effective, call friends and family to see what antibiotics they have. Often only a pill or two is needed, the appropriate human antibiotics are fine and effective when dosed properly. Some may remain effective even after expiration.

The best way to avoid any further future aspiration is with proper feeding technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLjR...relsandmorellc

In the meantime, keep the squirrel warm, upright and calm. Tucking them between layers of clothing is one of the most effective ways to achieve this.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Justagurl (07-29-2021)

Question Re: Aspiration pneumonia... Clicking in chest just started.... Need antibiotic dosing

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    The best way to avoid any further future aspiration is with proper feeding technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLjR...relsandmorellc

In the meantime, keep the squirrel warm, upright and calm. Tucking them between layers of clothing is one of the most effective ways to achieve this.
    Thank you for this information.... How soon does the clicking start? And it seems to have stopped? Is that even possible? And is it possible to hold them TOO MUCH? I have a boy and a girl and my girl, who my grandson,age 3, so lovingly named "Fatgirl" 🤷, absolutely refuses to be left in there bin. She starts making these adorable little noises and wiggling around until I go get her so she can wrap around my thumb and curl up into a tiny ball in my palm. She thinks that's where she belongs. It's adorable but I don't want to make her sick or anything...I am fi e with her Being spoiled If it's nm it going to harm her...

I have some trimethoprim 800/160 mg tablets ....can this be used? And what's the dosing?

How soon does the clicking start?
    The severity of the problem depends on many variables, such as how much material went down the wrong, what was the material (Some substances much more readily serve as breeding grounds for bacteria which is what causes the pneumonia.), is the animal already compromised (weakened) in other ways, how old is the animal, is it sufficiently warm, etc.

In the worst case scenario, aspiration pneumonia can act brutally quickly, by this I mean dead in 12 hours or less from when you notice it. I would recommend getting your hands on some effective antibiotics just in case it should occur again at some point in the future.

Below is a more complete list of symptoms of aspiration pneumonia.

1. Lethargic (inactive)
    2. Difficult/labored breathing or rapid breathing or slow breathing and/or open mouth breathing
    3. Rapid heartbeat
    4. Fever or Chills
    5. Pale, bluish to dark purple skin from a lack of oxygen (Look at lips and pads of feet)
    6. Nasal discharge
    7. Sweet or foul smelling breath
    8. Wheezing, crackling, or clicking sounds when inhaling and/or exhaling

What means are you using to feed the squirrels and what are they being fed?

How much? How often?

I am using a small syringe and the nipple from the referenced video. I am feeding the goats milk formula but have ordered the esbilac... I gave them electrolytes for the first 24 hrs as they were dehydrated severely. It took me 2 days to find and them retrieve the boy. Got the girl on the third day

I am using a small syringe and the nipple from the referenced video.
    Is it a one cc syringe? 1/2 cc?

Three cc syringes are too big for little ones. It is best if the syringe has an o-ring on the plunger as these slide more smoothly. Other types can stick which leads to too much formula coming out overwhelming the little squirrel.

How much formula are they being given at each feeding?

How often are they fed?

Do they have their eyes open? Can you attach a picture or two?

I have some trimethoprim 800/160 mg tablets ....can this be used? And what's the dosing?
    Bactrim: SMZ TMP (Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim), also known as Bactrim DS, Sulfatrim, is effective against pneumonia, though it is a little slower to react than some others.

All dosing of antibiotics is handled by administrators.

How soon does the clicking start? And it seems to have stopped? Is that even possible?
    Let's start here: A squirrel with AP will almost always have a persistent clicking sound... it will not stop. Best time to listen for it is when they are sleeping. A good method for listening is placing them in a ceramic bowl like a cereal bowl as the sound bounds off the hard sides (you can place fleece for bedding in the bottom). Another tactic I use is to cut the bottom off a red solo cup, place it up to my ear and over the baby while they are sleeping.

Almost ALL baby squirrels will "click" at some point, usually around feeding... especially right after feeding. This is a mouth click, not the dreaded AP click in their chest... but it takes quite some time to have enough experience to readily discern an AP click from a "post feeding mouth click".

Which brings us back around to the ALP click being a persistent (constant) clinking sound. They will also lose their appetite; this and the clicking are the most obvious in smaller babies.

Does your baby have a intermittent clicking or a persistent clicking? Are they losing their appetite?

Yes, this medication ("Bactrim") can be used for Aspiration Pneumonia (AP), it is effective but slower acting than Clavamox (Augmentin) or Baytril (Cipro) that we typically recommend.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Nancy in New York (07-30-2021)

Red face Re: Aspiration pneumonia... Clicking in chest just started.... Need antibiotic dosing

Ok I do not hear any clicking with a bowl or stethoscope. (No solo cup handy) and NO SIR.....they are sti eating everything I'll let them.👍☺️thank goodness.... Also ...is there anything to help with weight? They don't seem to be gaining very quickly....although they are 1000 times better now than when I got them. ...should I still give electrolytes? Or maybe feed more often than 2 hours?

Ok I do not hear any clicking with a bowl or stethoscope. (No solo cup handy) and NO SIR.....they are sti eating everything I'll let them.👍☺️thank goodness.... Also ...is there anything to help with weight? They don't seem to be gaining very quickly....although they are 1000 times better now than when I got them. ...should I still give electrolytes? Or maybe feed more often than 2 hours?

That is all good news, I would hold off on the meds for now. But I would strongly urge you to try to find Augementin (animal version is Clavamox) or Cipro (animal version is Baytril) to have on hand if raising baby squirrels. AP can kill them very quickly (in hours) and these meds are much quicker acting than the SMZ/TMP. That's not to say SMZ/TMP will be very effective if caught early enough.

The electrolytes should not be given for more than 24 hours. If additional hydration is needed, plain water works well. Weight gain is a combination of what is being fed, how much is being fed and how often they are being fed. And if they are dehydrated, they will not be able gain weight properly until their hydration issues are corrected.

Some babies do better on the Esbilac than the Goat's Milk formula, which was always intended as a temporary formula. You can order Fox Valley Ultra Boost to add to the formula which will provide extra fat.

In a week or two you will want to switch them to Fox Valley 20/50. You can order both the Ultraboost and 20/50 from Henry's:
    https://www.henryspets.com/fox-valley-formulas/

Since they have a flat rate shipping charge, you might want to consider ordering some squirrel block from there too... skip the high protein (IMO an order the Picky Blocks as they are much better received.

A squirrel should eat between 5% - 7% of their weight per feeding. So for example, a 35gram squirrel would eat a minimum of 1.75ml up to 2.5ml. I am attaching a cheat sheet to help with this...

Every two hours seems right for 35gram squirrels, in a few days after they are 40grams you can move them to every 2.5hours. BUT posting pictures would help us to guide you tremendously.

Name:  FormulaFeedingChart.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  63.7 KB

17. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

CritterMom (07-29-2021), island rehabber (07-29-2021), Nancy in New York (07-30-2021), Rock Monkey (07-30-2021)

And is it possible to hold them TOO MUCH? I have a boy and a girl and my girl, who my grandson,age 3, so lovingly named "Fatgirl" ��, absolutely refuses to be left in there bin. She starts making these adorable little noises and wiggling around until I go get her so she can wrap around my thumb and curl up into a tiny ball in my palm. She thinks that's where she belongs. It's adorable but I don't want to make her sick or anything...I am fi e with her Being spoiled If it's nm it going to harm her...
    Little squirrels spend the vast majority of their day cuddled with their siblings and mother. The younger they are, the less capable they are of generating and holding their own body heat. The touch and heat gained are essential for healthy development and survival. A heating pad providing moderate heat that doesn’t turn off automatically should be placed under half of their cage/container. This allows them to get away from the heat if they become too hot.

Cuddling with their primary caretaker provides the touch and warmth that are essential to life, as well as strengthening the bond between the caretaker and the squirrel, which will make them more manageable and teachable as they grow older, because full-on wild eastern grey squirrels can become quite aggressive as they grow older.

Those that care for a lot of squirrels may interact less with them. However, novice caretakers taking care of one or two often form quite close bonds with their little ones. The soft release process allows them to wild back up before release.

Try to pay equal attention to both, but let them come to you. If one is snuggling with you, see if you can get the other to snuggle as well.

Most rehabbed squirrels are naturally inclined to form a strong bond with one individual. It generally isn’t a good idea to allow them to interact with all sorts of people. Once released back into the wild you don’t want them going out in the world thinking it is okay to approach and climb on every human as this can easily get them killed.

I would strongly recommend against allowing a young child to handle a squirrel at all, for numerous reasons. For one, they have been stepped on by young children and squished and squirrels have tiny little bones. Squirrels can be a challenge (in numerous regards) for a calm, centered, mature adult. They are not pets, but that becomes evident later, now they are cute and cuddly. Enjoy it.

Squirrels are very empathic and sensitive. They are prey animals so they are always monitoring their environment very carefully. They pay particularly close attention to their mother. If their mother becomes afraid, they will conclude there is substantial danger and they too will become afraid. It is always best to be as calm as possible because negative moods are contagious with them and it never helps anything.

As squirrels grow older they develop blazingly fast speed and reaction times. When they are on the move, it is best to move slowly, always endeavoring to be aware of where they are. They can move quickly and quietly and can get underfoot without you knowing it. If they do something that hurts, say “Ouch” or something similar. Be consistent. They will learn and adjust.

I I gave them electrolytes for the first 24 hrs as they were dehydrated severely. It took me 2 days to find and them retrieve the boy. Got the girl on the third day
    Below is a video which shows you how to test for dehydration and remedy it by giving water in between feedings. It is critical that the squirrels not be dehydrated because the water needed for digestion is drawn from the body so if they are already dehydrated, the dehydration can become worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjPM...relsandmorellc