Thread: Possible mange

Default Possible mange

This baby has possible mange . He is about 1 year old and he and his sister have been so itchy but he seems to be worse off then his sister. He is loosing fur and has a bald patch under his arm.
    I cant touch them anymore but they will let me hand feed them and they will sit next to me.
    I have been told ivermectin paste the size of a grain of rice on a nut which is fine but it makes me nervous giving it to him that it will make him sick . My question is if it's not mange can treating him for it hurt him?

I have also been told revolution how is that given if he isn't touchable? I can order some but it will be a while before it arrives.

And the one thing I do have on hand now is capstar will that kill mange and how is it given ?
    I could put some on nutella or they do like benebac.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Possible mange

Quote Originally Posted by bednarkim77 View Post
    This baby has possible mange . He is about 1 year old and he and his sister have been so itchy but he seems to be worse off then his sister. He is loosing fur and has a bald patch under his arm.
    I cant touch them anymore but they will let me hand feed them and they will sit next to me.
    I have been told ivermectin paste the size of a grain of rice on a nut which is fine but it makes me nervous giving it to him that it will make him sick . My question is if it's not mange can treating him for it hurt him?

I have also been told revolution how is that given if he isn't touchable? I can order some but it will be a while before it arrives.

And the one thing I do have on hand now is capstar will that kill mange and how is it given ?
    I could put some on nutella or they do like benebac.
    Capstar will not treat mange.
    Treating for mange/ not being mange will not hurt.
    Not a fan of the use of ivermectin, Revolution is my personal preference for treating mange.
    Ivermectin has been used by many members. Applied as you stated the size of a grain of
    (uncooked) rice or what would amount to placement in this > o
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

bednarkim77 (07-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Capstar will not treat mange.
    Treating for mange/ not being mange will not hurt.
    Not a fan of the use of ivermectin, Revolution is my personal preference for treating mange.
    Ivermectin has been used by many members. Applied as you stated the size of a grain of
    (uncooked) rice or what would amount to placement in this > o

Can revolution be used on a nut ? If so how much and how soon to repeat ?
    I will have to order it Friday so it's going to take a while for it to get here .

Quote Originally Posted by bednarkim77 View Post
    Can revolution be used on a nut ? If so how much and how soon to repeat ?
    I will have to order it Friday so it's going to take a while for it to get here .
    It may take a VERY long time. I ordered some Revolution, just to have it on hand, the beginning of June, and I got it just last week - 6 weeks! It took 2 days for it to get from Australia to California, and there it sat.

I, personally, AM a fan of the horse ivermectin. Pros: Easy to obtain*, very effective against mites, flavored which makes it easy to hide in food. Cons: It doesn't also kill fleas and ticks which is a nice additional effect of Revolution, and must be re-treated several times at 7-10 day intervals due to it killing adult mites only, not eggs. Revolution sticks around and thus also gets the eggs, so retreating is done at 30 day intervals if at all.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

bednarkim77 (07-27-2021), TubeDriver (07-27-2021)

See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

bednarkim77 (07-27-2021)