Thread: Which in-shell nuts are ok?

Default Which in-shell nuts are ok?

I feed my wild foxers in-shell pecans when in season and occasionally in shell peanuts (roasted, unsalted). Both have relatively soft shells.

I have thus far been too chicken to feed them in-shell almonds, hazelnuts, and walnuts because the shells seem so hard. I'm a neurotic helicopter squaddy who worries they'll hurt themselves on these. Am I being silly? Can yall verify that these varieties are safe for their teeth? I know my crew would be so stoked to have them.

Default Re: Which in-shell nuts are ok?

Hi! I'm not a total expert by any means, but my American Red Frankie eats in shell hazelnuts, walnuts, and pecans. I'm paranoid so I'm constantly checking on him to make sure he isnt choking while cracking them open, but he gets them open just fine:)) I haven't tried in shell almonds yet, as I usually break them into peices and use them when we work on tricks. (So far, he knows how to spin on command;))
    Hazelnuts take him a while, but he usually gets them open in a couple hours. He only took an hour on the last pecan I gave him, and it sometimes take a day or two to open a walnut fully. Keeps his teeth down, and keeps him busy and happy for a while while I'm cleaning or doing chores and can't give him my full attention.

What else are you feeding Frankie? His diet cannot just consist of nuts. He needs a balanced diet. Nuts are high in phosphorous which creates an imbalance in his calcium to phosphorous ratio and can lead to metabolic bone disease which can be fatal.

Here’s the link to the healthy squirrel diet https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    What else are you feeding Frankie? His diet cannot just consist of nuts. He needs a balanced diet. Nuts are high in phosphorous which creates an imbalance in his calcium to phosphorous ratio and can lead to metabolic bone disease which can be fatal.

Here’s the link to the healthy squirrel diet https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels
    Thank you for the concern, but there's no reason to worry:)) but my baby eats fresh veggies every day free choice at lunch, after his Henry's squirrel blocks in the morning. His diet is very carefully balanced and I've researched deeply on squirrels since coming to care for him. I also have calcium from Henry's healthy pets that I sprinkle on his food whenever I don't have as wide of a variety of veggies to give him, just to be safe that he's obtaining the required amounts. I give him nuts only as treats and bonding/training aids :)) and never more than 2 a day. He also has wild foods I've frozen and kept from the summer and spring, like rosehips and dandelions that I thaw and give to him over the winter months. I deeply appreciate your concern though 😊🐿

Untreated deer antler pieces and sawed sections, lend support in keeping incisors worn down to the right length.. Red squirrels favor antler over other species of tree squirrels.

Organic in the shell hazelnuts, aka: (filberts) lend good support to keeping the incisors worn down to a proper length. The indigenous species of hazelnut produced in the Midwest has the smallest sized kernel, vs. the European hazelnut (a different species) the largest sized kernel. It make good sense to choose the smallest kernel from the US, for it is both fresher and adds the least amount of phosphorus to a rodent block diet. This can then be given three times a week in support of keeping the incisors worn down to the proper length.

For this season, organic hazelnuts, save they are offered at a premium price, are moreover out of stock. Check on Ebay for Organic grown hazelnuts in the shell. For shelled, I chose, "Wilderness Poets" brand, which I found the most tasty compared to the smallest that is a bit woody' even so liked by our yard squirrels like the in shell peewee sized hazelnuts all the same.

To best avoid both rancid, wormy and fungus in nuts in the shell, go with the Oregon or Iowa organic grown hazelnuts. Look for sources that offer steam pasteurization of the outer shell, or you can do it yourself using a jewelry steamer. I got one from JTV online that has a little basket that's a perfect size for steaming nuts in the shell. Be sure to remove any left over moisture after steaming. Never store nuts in the shell in a moist environment as this promotes the growth of toxic fungus. Store indoors in a cool dry place in a vacuum sealed bag.

Hopefully I’m not “hijacking”… but in reading these replies I am a bit confused/concerned.

I bought in shell hazelnuts and pecans from Henry’s, and it says on the bag to keep frozen?!

Am I not supposed to? Hopefully an answer to this will also help many others who have bought these and keep frozen…

Henry's Block is to be kept frozen upon receiving it and to stay so just prior to feeding it.

As to storing nuts, there are different points of view.

Storing nuts in a dry cool place preserves nut kernels in the shell, doesn't promote the growth of toxic aspergillus fungal spores.
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 11-21-2022 at 09:57 AM.