Thread: New here, & this is my squirrely story !

Default New here, & this is my squirrely story !

[CENTER]March 23rd 2021 ....I was walking off my back porch to the check the mailbox after packing up a few items to go off for a few days to a funeral of a family friend (whom passed suddenly) a few counties away.....
    Well, I come back inside and I'm trying finish packing, my boyfriend comes inside to hurry me along, and tell me that he had seen where the neighbors dogs had gotten ahold of two baby squirrels that were already long gone (I'll leave out his details) , so I'm all over here like .. He then reminds me of the bad storm we had the night before (VERY high winds) and how they most likely were knocked from the nest "since dogs cant climb trees and most squirrels dont fly".......

We get packed, out the door & everything/everybody in the car; seconds before pulling away, I had alot of snack wrappers & etc trash I didn't want to ride with the whole way, & said "hold on let me get out & throw this away real quick. "

Well I THANK GOD EVERYDAY I DID.

(We have our trashcans beside our back-porch which stops where the driveway starts)

I'm approaching the trash cans, and I see a tiny ball of fur on the ground... I go to move it with my shoe lightly (seriously thought it was a rabbit or something DEAD) and THE THING MOVED. IT WAS ALIVE!!!
    I scooped this little precious thing up and immediately noticed how cold and frail it was. It stayed curled up in a ball the whole time it was in my hands and wasn't moving much But it was still alive & it still had a shot, so me being me, I was going to doing anything I could in my power to keep it alive and thriving!

Long story shorter, we put her in a box and due to unforchante circumstances, had to keep her in the box untill around 6 weeks because after we had left for the funeral, we had to stay at a hotel for a good 2 months, and I was literally doing all I could at the time to keep it fed, warm, safe & happy!

I hopped online, and found this very site. I went out and got the syringes, Pedialyte, Esbiliac Puppy milk, and a fleece jacket (All I had besides the cardboard box at the hotel!) & made it work! I always turned to this site for questions and answers, and so far it has proven itself, because I still have my love bug Ava & she is absolutely the center of my world! She is SO spoiled, and is often thought of as the first Grandchild of the family!
    [B]

When I tell you that I thought I had saved this squirrel.... I'd never been so wrong...

Soooo, fast forward... Its now July, we are home. Ava is in a Ferret Nation Double Unit WITH the 3rd Add-on, so its technically a triple unit, she has a homeade hammock she enjoys and is usually a happy, busy, stashing, stuffed animal slamming, deer antler chewing Queen! She is very spoilt, and very loved. My mother ended up passing as well not long after the family friend and Ava has been my go-to!

She has helped me TREMENDOUSLY get through this hell of a rough time I've had these last few months & I want to ensure she will continue to STAY happy! Although, I DO have a few questions, and would like to receive any and every tip, trick and hack I can to ensure she gets the quality of life that she gives!!

Her cage is [25 W x 63 H x 36 L] with an additional unit, which is a total of [25 W x 87 H x 36 L] ... I am concerned however the plastic trays that sit on the racks has become an obsessive chewing toy and I'm not sure why.... She has plenty of sticks, toys, and two deer antlers, as well as a toilet paper roll (She enjoys shredding these). Is there any way to stop this behavior?

Also I see her nibbling at her paws alot, and sometimes her arms. I know they like to groom themselves, which she has always done a good bit... but her finger is starting to miss hair, and looks like her knuckle on that finger is larger than the others?

She also had a small, small raised patch (maybe a bump?) on both arms under the last pad- its down her wrist not as close to the foot, and it had some much thicker, longer, and white hairs growing out of this raised area? I thought maybe it could be an ingrown hair? However, I do see her nibbling at the site on both arms alot and I'm not sure what to do about it ?

AND sometimes she has sneezing fits at night. Ive NEVER heard it during the day, maybe once if all during the day, but at night she will be dead asleep, and start sneezing. I've checked for Malocclusion but her teeth seem to be in the right places and shes all the time chewing- but she used to chew the sticks and deer antlers, and now shes wanting to completely chew through her plastic trays in her cage.

She is almost 6 mo now, are there any things I should be prepared for? Or any tips on anything?

Please DM or reply, however is easiest. Again, I'm new here, so please tread lightly. I just want to learn what I can do to keep Mrs.Ava happy & healthy!

I am looking to change her diet because shes been putting on a little bit of weight too. So a healthy diet of things I can get at the veggie side of the store, or a specific diet that gives her everything that she needs would be super helpful as well!

Sorry for the super long post, and I appreciate any and all suggestions/help/tips ♥

♥Long Live & Long Love the Squirrels!♥
    XOXO,
    AvasMama

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to AvasMama from:

Rock Monkey (07-28-2021)

Default Re: New here, & this is my squirrely story !

ALMOST FORGOT THESE!

Name:  175689808_853013611955045_6196500556419512648_n.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  6.9 KBName:  220801299_411361546882952_1768491368792656482_n.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  57.8 KBName:  aaaq.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  97.3 KBName:  untamed.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  92.2 KB
    AvasMama

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to AvasMama from:

Diggie's Friend (08-23-2021)

AM
    Once you find squirrel love you never look back, they are amazing friends
    I have the same setup 3 tier Critter Nation unit. As far as the plastic trays go I wrap mine in fleece blankets, the kind you get from Walmart in a roll. However that doesn't always stop the chewing, I dont know what it is about plastic but they love chewing it🙄

Chewing her hands, I just was reading a thread using emu oil for hair growth, not sure if that will stop her chewing herself, maybe someone will have a better idea.
    Do you have any pics of where she's chewing ?

Her diet should be rodent block, veggies. some fruit, healthy trees branches, only a couple nuts a day as a treat ( don't tell anyone but my Conker gets more )
    There is a thread under squirrel diet, I'll add it.
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Charley Chuckles:

AvasMama (07-22-2021), Chirps (07-29-2021)

Oh she's beautiful 🥰
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

*Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Charley Chuckles:

AvasMama (07-22-2021), sundoesshine (07-26-2021)

Thank you Charlie! I'm not as concerned about the hair loss as I am that something is hurting her and that's the reason she nibbles at it. She is SO spoiled, that I have to put her to bed every night or she becomes a nightmare and throws her little fits lol! There are pictures below. The first is probably 3 weeks after I got her, she was probably around 4 weeks old when I found her. The other pictures are more recent, as I can only get good pictures when she's sleeping because she's always on the move but yes, any help, tips or comments I appreciate! I love her to pieces
    Her fur is actually getting thicker in the back and it is a thick grey fur that's coming in over her slightly browner fur. Guess she's growing up on me! ♥
    AvasMama

SBO (soil based organisms) are an integral part of the diet of squirrels in their natural habitat. Without a source added to the diet when cared for in captivity, the balance of good and bad bacteria can become imbalanced in their body for over 70 % of the immune system is located in the bacteria in the gut, "Pet Flora" given once daily added to the meal lends signficant support to immune health.This produce also contains Humic acid. (for info on the benefit of this source for immune health see info on product)

"Pet Flora" by Vitality Science (1/64 Tsp.) added daily to moist food.

https://www.amazon.com/Vitality-Scie.../dp/B005PJN2HO

ps. Should you feed a rodent block dietthat contains soy and corn, you may want to one that doesn't.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

AvasMama (07-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    SBO (soil based organisms) are an integral part of the diet of squirrels in their natural habitat. Without a source added to the diet when cared for in captivity, the balance of good and bad bacteria can become imbalanced in their body for over 70 % of the immune system is located in the bacteria in the gut, "Pet Flora" given once daily added to the meal lends signficant support to immune health.This produce also contains Humic acid. (for info on the benefit of this source for immune health see info on product)

"Pet Flora" by Vitality Science (1/64 Tsp.) added daily to moist food.

https://www.amazon.com/Vitality-Scie.../dp/B005PJN2HO

ps. Should you feed a rodent block dietthat contains soy and corn, you may want to one that doesn't.

I will deff look into that! She gets a piece of carrot, some cauliflower, and broccoli, then a few almonds halved (no shell) and pecans (no shell). She often gets sticks from outside, and sometimes I will go pick her some dandelions, daisies, and a few other plants she seems to like. I try to get the root with it because she seems to like that too. I DO wash these whenever I get wild foods, because I noticed early on when she had these in her cage she sneezed ALOT more than when not, so I assumed it was the pollen.
    AvasMama

The Dandelion roots are liked over the dandelion greens that are on the bitter side; the root also is a good liver tonic.

Blanching organic leafy greens 90 sec. and boiling the florets of stalked vegetables (15 min.), makes them easier to digest. This also supplies more calcium per equal volume measure cooked vs. raw.
    Worth a try just to see if you squirrel likes them this way.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

AvasMama (07-30-2021)

If a captive squirrel doesn't get a quality rodent block and is given too many nuts they are at risk of getting MBD.

https://www.henryspets.com/healthy-d...pet-squirrels/

17. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

AvasMama (07-30-2021), CritterMom (07-29-2021), Diggie's Friend (08-23-2021)

Hi, and welcome! Ava is beautiful! It is imperative that she be spoiled!

I can't speak to the excessive(?) grooming/hair loss, but the long, thick hairs on her wrists are normal. There's a name for them but I forgot it. I think of them as "arm whiskers". They have them on their bellies too. I think it's an extra adaptation they have to help them sense whatever they need to sense as they navigate their world. Maybe it helps them know if a branch is sound, or if that snow patch will be slippery, etc.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

AvasMama (07-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    but the long, thick hairs on her wrists are normal. There's a name for them but I forgot it. I think of them as "arm whiskers". They have them on their bellies too. I think it's an extra adaptation they have to help them sense whatever they need to sense as they navigate their world. Maybe it helps them know if a branch is sound, or if that snow patch will be slippery, etc.
    I believe these long, sensitive hairs that you are referring to are known as vibrissae. There are bunch of them all over the face, plus by the wrist. A squirrel nest is pretty dark and little ones are born with eyes closed and stay that way for four weeks or so, so these hairs help all parties to navigate in these situations, especially in regard to nursing and grooming, which is very much essential.

Regarding possible excessive grooming, don't use any products with perfumes or strong scents with Ava. They have very sensitive noses. Many laundry detergents, fabric softeners, dryer sheets are loaded with perfumes. Avoid these.

If there are areas which you believe to be overgroomed, plus post pictures of those areas.

Note, as squirrels get older they can get more territorial, aggressive and edgy. Wild squirrels live in a very competitive world, with high rates of attrition, so such behavior is normal. A close relationship with a caretakers dulls these inclinations somewhat, but almost always some issues/tension will arise, especially once sexual maturity is achieved.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

AvasMama (08-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    I believe these long, sensitive hairs that you are referring to are known as vibrissae. There are bunch of them all over the face, plus by the wrist. A squirrel nest is pretty dark and little ones are born with eyes closed and stay that way for four weeks or so, so these hairs help all parties to navigate in these situations, especially in regard to nursing and grooming, which is very much essential.

Regarding possible excessive grooming, don't use any products with perfumes or strong scents with Ava. They have very sensitive noses. Many laundry detergents, fabric softeners, dryer sheets are loaded with perfumes. Avoid these.

If there are areas which you believe to be overgroomed, plus post pictures of those areas.

Note, as squirrels get older they can get more territorial, aggressive and edgy. Wild squirrels live in a very competitive world, with high rates of attrition, so such behavior is normal. A close relationship with a caretakers dulls these inclinations somewhat, but almost always some issues/tension will arise, especially once sexual maturity is achieved.
    Thank you so much for the advice! I am worried about her aggression when she comes into heat, but as I always have, if she seems irritable, or is being a little bit nippy around her stashes, I usually just leave her alone for a little bit before trying to interact with her again. Of course its given with wild animals, and its expected. We are pretty close though, and she's never drawn any blood- though she has had a few hard bites, but granted it was probably sorta my fault, or either an external source, (sudden noise, someone approaching me, etc) I always forgive her but I do make the same "Owwwie Ava hurt mama" and she usually will turn around and bite softer, lick, or try to groom me lol
    But all advice is appreciated! I am a first time sq mama trying to do the best I can for her ♥
    AvasMama

Squirrels can be particularly aggressive where stashes are concerned. This is genetically hardwired in. If some other creatures comes and pilfers the stashes that a squirrel has put away to get them through the winter (when there is very little food being presented by the environment) that squirrel's chance of their young surviving through the winter or the squirrel itself surviving diminish substantially. So it is literally a matter of life and death, so that can bring out some serious aggression.

If Ava isn't eating some of the nuts that you are giving her and stashing them that is a sign that it would probably be wise to reduce the amount of nuts given, maybe even getting down to just one nut a day. This will reduce her stashes and hence her aggression.

If there are particular sounds that you know will startle her, either reduce them or mimic the sound before it occurs so she is forewarned. They are smart and good at making associations. If she was getting wound up I would tell Helen as calmly as possible, "Everything is okay. Everything is alright."

The best time to strengthen your bond is the hour or so before the sun sets or whenever it is that she goes to bed.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

AvasMama (08-06-2021), Diggie's Friend (08-23-2021)

Thanks Monkey! I am in the process of eliminating her nut stashes and she seems to be picking up on the broccoli & lettuce, as well some other fruits and veggies. I usually give her some when I get up, and a little bit more around 3ish. I found when I put stuff in there closer to her bedtime, it was a waste but she does seem to be slimming back down (She was really getting a tummy )

I'm glad you mentioned the bonding thing before bedtime, because she actually will sit and stare at me at night untill I come and put her in her bed and rub her chin/ears/belly/arms untill she is fast asleep.... Every.... single... night.... lol
    If I'm not fast enough to get to her she will stack all of her toys/bandanas/stuffed animals/ and her toilet paper rolls (her fave) and act like she cant get into her bed. She is the cutest thing and SO spoiled; its something I've done since she was little and its honestly my favorite part of the night because of just how sweet it is.

In one of the pictures you can kind of see her fingers where she chews them, but barley. I am going to try to get a picture tomorrow and will post them to my last posts. ♥♥
    Take care & squirrel on!
    AvasMama

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to AvasMama from:

Rock Monkey (08-06-2021)