Thread: Lighting/Cage questions

Hybrid View

Default Lighting/Cage questions

I posted this on another part of the board but I haven’t gotten any answers so I figured I would post it in this category as well sorry for the duplicate!!

I have a question, I read on the forums that our squirrels should have natural outdoor sunlight daily or UVB/UVA lights on top of the cage. I have had Murphy since 4 week. She is now just over 12 weeks. She took herself off formula at 9 weeks, then we got her to eat it again about 7 days later with heavy cream and honey as directed by Henry’s Healthy Pets. Before this, I never added heavy cream to the Esbilac (concern number 1). Then, Murphy took herself off formula again another week later. So not having it again after 11 weeks. I have had her on Henry’s high protein blocks for almost a month, (she gets 2-3 a day) along with the Tekland blocks and fresh veggies and some fruit as a treat. She has only had sunlight through a window which is filtered so not really what she needs-so I ordered lights for her that are the Repti-Sun 10, for the top of her cage that is a bit over 5 feet tall. When I spoke to Leigh today to see if I should start her on a calcium supplement because now I am worried and her lights just came in today, she said I don’t need to worry and I should return the lights to get my money back as she is on 2-3 blocks a day. Can anyone advise on their opinions or experiences? Also, she chewed her plastic cage shelves badly in one spot- I was told to get metal covers for them?

Default Re: Lighting/Cage questions

Also, her brand new cage shelves are getting ruined because she is chewing literal holes through them. I was told she needs to have metal over them and I don’t know how to get those?

Name:  8A51C0E7-321B-4865-B7FA-08936BA7B048.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  52.7 KBName:  8A51C0E7-321B-4865-B7FA-08936BA7B048.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  52.7 KB

This is the cage I got her as I liked the dimensions and how tall is was from base to top too however there is so many plastic pieces on it and she’s chewing at them all especially her shelves we’ve had a week and she’s around multiple shelves already. I seen someone so they like the fair at Nathan cages but they don’t look that tall and considering she’s only out about five hours per day out of her cage I don’t want her in something tiny either.

I agree with Leigh about the lights.

Squirrels will destroy anything plastic. Or plastic. Or fabric. Or... You can buy metal cage pans for Critter nation cages, but I doubt they are available for this cage but you can check:
    https://www.bassequipment.com/

Since she is almost old enough to start the soft release process, I would not concern myself about the cage selves.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

DanniCristina (07-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I agree with Leigh about the lights.

Squirrels will destroy anything plastic. Or plastic. Or fabric. Or... You can buy metal cage pans for Critter nation cages, but I doubt they are available for this cage but you can check:
    https://www.bassequipment.com/

Since she is almost old enough to start the soft release process, I would not concern myself about the cage selves.

Releasing her is a part I am truly struggling with

Quote Originally Posted by DanniCristina View Post
    If shes not ready then don’t release her yet.. We had 20 wild babies in our neighborhood last fall.. Not 1 survived the winter. Your baby will let you know if/when shes ready.. It depends on your situation and environment. Ive been in both situations.. An adult Squirrel is a huge responsibility.. Some Squirrels bite and only like 1 person which will make it hard if you have a family.. Others are big Lovers who wont allow you to release them and insist on Coming back inside where it safe and they’re pampered.. She will let you know when/if its time.
    This is just my personal opinion.. Some may disagree.. It comes down to… Is releasing a chance at a happy life or a danger?!?!?

Are you struggling with what is best for you or what is best for her?

Also, her brand new cage shelves are getting ruined because she is chewing literal holes through them. I was told she needs to have metal over them and I don’t know how to get those?
    Hi there I just purchased this cage with add on units from Critter Nation also known as Ferret nation. You can creat fleece covers that Squirrels wont chew!!! Sew a baby blanket (like a pillowcase) to cover the plastic pan..It works!

For the bottom pan you can buy a Ferret Nation Scatter guard which is metal and slide over the corners of the bottom pan..

This Cage is amazing! Critter/Ferret Nation products are the same brand/cage.. Here is a link.
    Ferret Nation Lower Scatter Guard... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UL3EUI...p_mob_ap_share

This is the cage I got her as I liked the dimensions and how tall is was from base to top too however there is so many plastic pieces on it and she’s chewing at them all especially her shelves we’ve had a week and she’s around multiple shelves already. I seen someone so they like the fair at Nathan cages but they don’t look that tall and considering she’s only out about five hours per day out of her cage I don’t want her in something tiny either.[/QUOTE]

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to GretleTheRed from:

DanniCristina (08-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by GretleTheRed View Post
    Hi there I just purchased this cage with add on units from Critter Nation also known as Ferret nation. You can creat fleece covers that Squirrels wont chew!!! Sew a baby blanket (like a pillowcase) to cover the plastic pan..It works!

For the bottom pan you can buy a Ferret Nation Scatter guard which is metal and slide over the corners of the bottom pan..

This Cage is amazing! Critter/Ferret Nation products are the same brand/cage.. Here is a link.
    Ferret Nation Lower Scatter Guard... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UL3EUI...p_mob_ap_share

This is the cage I got her as I liked the dimensions and how tall is was from base to top too however there is so many plastic pieces on it and she’s chewing at them all especially her shelves we’ve had a week and she’s around multiple shelves already. I seen someone so they like the fair at Nathan cages but they don’t look that tall and considering she’s only out about five hours per day out of her cage I don’t want her in something tiny either.
    [/QUOTE]

Thank you! I just covered her shelves with fleas and it has stopped her from chewing so I appreciate that! Do you have your squirrel permanently or just a foster? I’m going to check out this cage!

Hello again! Just wondering if I can get an answer on if she needs any natural light or the UVA/UVB lights I bought… she does get 3-4 Henry’s blocks a day. I was told that since she is digesting the vitamin D in those she doesn’t, but I want to be sure!

The simplest way to get her UV -B rays is to take her outside in a locked cage for a little bit everyday. Even indirect sunlight contains some UV-B rays which allows squirrels to produce vitamin D which in turn is necessary to properly metabolize calcium. Window glass completely blocks UV-B rays. Never leave her outside in her cage unattended.

This way she will also get some exposure to the sights and sounds of the outdoors. This way you can get some idea of what she thinks of the outdoors. Once they get old enough, the vast, vast majority of rehabbed squirrels want to be outside. The strongest factor being their hardwired drive to reproduce, which grows stronger and stronger.

However, the block should be providing all of the vital vitamins and minerals that a captive squirrel needs.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

DanniCristina (07-28-2021)

[QUOTE=GretleTheRed;1334211]Hi there I just purchased this cage with add on units from Critter Nation also known as Ferret nation. You can creat fleece covers that Squirrels wont chew!!! Sew a baby blanket (like a pillowcase) to cover the plastic pan..It works!

Thank you so much! I did sew fleece covers on all her shelves, and it has helped tremendously! I purchased a bunch of fabric from Joannes Fabrics and made her covers