Thread: Need new cage, mine doesnt fit the bill

Default Need new cage, mine doesnt fit the bill

I ordered a cage last fall from a company that says their cages are for squirrels. I got the biggest one I could and the information about the cage said it would last a lifetime of my pet and that it's powder-coated yada yada yada great for squirrels yada yada yada.

My boy just turned 1 year old and since late fall, he has chewed holes in this cage to the point that we have to constantly repair it with washers and nuts. I've included a picture. When I complain to the company about this they said their cages are not for keeping squirrels long-term! Yet everything on their website says this cage is for squirrels. They need to make up their mind.

Anyway I need another cage.... same size for my boy as well as a travel cage because we are moving. I need suggestions. I looked at Critter Nation cages and they just don't look as big as my cage.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Need new cage, mine doesnt fit the bill

No one who's looked at this post can tell me what kind of cage they have?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiesMom View Post
    No one who's looked at this post can tell me what kind of cage they have?
    Sorry about that -- busy time of year and people are traveling all over because now they can. Anyway, I love the Marshall ferret cages:

marshall ferret cages - Google Search
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

KCullen (08-09-2021)

I have a cage like the one you posted as having, or at least I am pretty sure it is the same cage. I use it for flyers, too flimsy IMO for greys.

Critter Nation (CN) cages are about the same size, not a big enough size difference to matter. The CN cages hold up very well IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Sorry about that -- busy time of year and people are traveling all over because now they can. Anyway, I love the Marshall ferret cages:

Thank you for responding!

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I have a cage like the one you posted as having, or at least I am pretty sure it is the same cage. I use it for flyers, too flimsy IMO for greys.

Critter Nation (CN) cages are about the same size, not a big enough size difference to matter. The CN cages hold up very well IMO.

Thanks for your reply! The initials of where I got mine are EN. I don't want to give them any publicity. And yes the vertical bars are too flimsy for my foxer. He breaks them off with his teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post

I am having an issue with my brand new one I bought Murphy too. Can you check out my post I posted with the cage and lighting issue?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiesMom View Post
    I ordered a cage last fall from a company that says their cages are for squirrels. I got the biggest one I could and the information about the cage said it would last a lifetime of my pet and that it's powder-coated yada yada yada great for squirrels yada yada yada.

My boy just turned 1 year old and since late fall, he has chewed holes in this cage to the point that we have to constantly repair it with washers and nuts. I've included a picture. When I complain to the company about this they said their cages are not for keeping squirrels long-term! Yet everything on their website says this cage is for squirrels. They need to make up their mind.

Anyway I need another cage.... same size for my boy as well as a travel cage because we are moving. I need suggestions. I looked at Critter Nation cages and they just don't look as big as my cage.
    Hi there,
    Critter/Ferret Nation cages are definitely the Gold standard of cages..
    I have the double unit with an add on.. Total cost for both were under $360 ($249 and $111) and can be found on Amazon. You can also purchase the single then add two “add on units)
    Here is a pic of my Fox Squirrel on top of her cage..She loves it!!! ITS HUGE! Notice in the pic the cage is taller then my blinds.. The cage when set up is 8 feet tall so I have to keep it in a room with Vaulted Ceilings..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to GretleTheRed from:

GeorgiesMom (08-01-2021)

Thank you. I've looked at their cages and I just can't figure them out. I haven't been able to understand what to buy in order to give him the same amount of space or more.

Quote Originally Posted by GretleTheRed View Post
    Hi there,
    Critter/Ferret Nation cages are definitely the Gold standard of cages..
    I have the double unit with an add on.. Total cost for both were under $360 ($249 and $111) and can be found on Amazon. You can also purchase the single then add two “add on units)
    Here is a pic of my Fox Squirrel on top of her cage..She loves it!!! ITS HUGE! Notice in the pic the cage is taller then my blinds.. The cage when set up is 8 feet tall so I have to keep it in a room with Vaulted Ceilings..

I was on a budget when I set up my squirrel enclosure, and found a used but in perfect condition My First Home Kaytee brand ferret cage that worked fine. It's smaller than recommended (in the south, so Joe is kinda small anyways), but we bought a second one and were able to take the top door off of one (with bottom removed), to give him a taller home. He destroyed the plastic shelving of course, but we use branches and other natural items anyways. The second cage bottom makes cleaning much easier too. My plan is to back the cage up to my slider, add a "portal" in the bars so he can use a doggie door for a sliding glass door, and this will allow him to come and go easier into his soft release "Joe Condo" that we're building. Not sure if this approach would work for you? I had concerns that an indoor raised squirrel in the hottest part of Summer may get overheated, so this would allow him to come and go. We can easily take the indoor cage away when he doesn't need or want to utilize the smaller space/air conditioning. Good luck, and hope this helps!

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to KCullen from:

GeorgiesMom (08-10-2021)