Thread: 1 or 2 HHB a day?

Default 1 or 2 HHB a day?

I have a 2.5 month old grey squirrel. Currently feeding her Mazuri rodent blocks (staple), HHB, and a variety of fruits and veggies every day.

My question is, should I be offering her 1 or 2 HHB a day? I know they are chock full of vitamins/minerals that are good for them, but I don't want to cause an overdose. I was feeding 2 a day but now I'm not so sure. Thoughts?

Default Re: 1 or 2 HHB a day?

They have been formulated to provide all of the vitamins and minerals needed for an approximately 1 pound squirrel at the rate of 2 per day. I usually actually give 2.5 to 3 per day with the knowledge of at LEAST one block's worth of crumbs left behind.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

kookoo_forbonbon (07-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    They have been formulated to provide all of the vitamins and minerals needed for an approximately 1 pound squirrel at the rate of 2 per day. I usually actually give 2.5 to 3 per day with the knowledge of at LEAST one block's worth of crumbs left behind.
    Thanks, CritterMom! That's good to know that by giving her 2 a day it wouldn't be too much and is actually an appropriate amount.

Quote Originally Posted by kookoo_forbonbon View Post
    I have a 2.5 month old grey squirrel. Currently feeding her Mazuri rodent blocks (staple), HHB, and a variety of fruits and veggies every day.
    I'm curious. Mazuri is nutritious but probably nowhere near as yummy as HHB, so how does that work out? Like if she gets Mazuri first does she hold out for the better stuff, is Mazuri free choice and HHB given at x time of day? How much Mazuri does she eat in a day in addition to the HHB? I'm just imagining a certain spoiled wild friend of mine who would hold out for the better stuff if she thought I had any.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    I'm curious. Mazuri is nutritious but probably nowhere near as yummy as HHB, so how does that work out? Like if she gets Mazuri first does she hold out for the better stuff, is Mazuri free choice and HHB given at x time of day? How much Mazuri does she eat in a day in addition to the HHB? I'm just imagining a certain spoiled wild friend of mine who would hold out for the better stuff if she thought I had any.
    I give her the first HHB first thing in the morning along with a handful of Mazuri, and yes she instantly goes straight for the HHB. She does not eat nearly enough of the Mazuri. Now that you said this, I might want to change my tactic, maybe wait to give her the HHB until later on in the day to make sure she eats the Mazuri first.